Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Intranet account connection by George Mogyoro
I have setup two identical systems: Laptop HP Pavillion dv9500 Desktop HP Pavillion a6207a OS on both Vista Internet connection with wireless and all is working well. I setup both to be a server for intranet BUT the laptop will only work as locahost and other pc are able to ping IP but not connect. Desktop and Laptop setup parameters are identical. What is the problem?????
January 12th 08 11:57 AM
by George Mogyoro Go to last post
0 259
hidden accts / logon / not show / still one user pic by AardvarksRUs
Searched and saw couple related posts, but not quite this: Want to create new administrator account, same as other workgroup PC's, (mostly XP Pro SP2; w/ no such problem), to help file sharing, plus also other admin logon, separate profile. May or may not also enable real "Administrator", but need new one, and would have same problems here, anyway. I do not want the new admin account to...
January 12th 08 09:18 AM
by AardvarksRUs Go to last post
1 225
Hard Drive unavailable by chas638
I'm the administator and after the last windows update I can not connect to my external drive, access denied. My device manager recognizes it and states it's working. I went into sucurity and all boxes are checked. I populated it and it shows the drive and properties. I connected the drive to my XP laptop and it works fine. Does anyone know when the SP1 for Vista Ultimate is going to be...
January 11th 08 05:49 PM
by chas638 Go to last post
0 219
Administration accounts by Big Bruce
when I am doing things on my computer Like going into Mail and comming in here I keep getting this error . You are not currently logged into your computer as a Administrator. I am the only one useding my computer.And when I check under Uses Accounts it said that I am a Administrator With password protected.Then why am I getting the error??
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 11th 08 04:52 PM
by Big Bruce Go to last post
11 440
can't manage accounts by ms outlook
Allo Everybody, I bought a Sony Vaio with Vista Home Premium 32 bits /Norton Anti virus few weeks ago. As Microsoft suggests I have created two user accounts; one as administrator /other as user account but when I did that the system blocked the access to the some programs. For instance I can't use the recovery to bring the computer to an early date and I can't manage the user accounts. But...
January 11th 08 03:37 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
1 239
Problem setting up scheduled task by Mike B
I'm on Vista Ultimate. I'm trying to set up a scheduled task which will copy a file from within my AppData folder (I'm an Admin, running with UAC on) to another local user's AppData folder (they're a normal User). My basic Action in the task is: Program: robocopy Arguments: "C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player"
January 11th 08 03:09 PM
by Mike B Go to last post
2 274
guest account restrictions by lab03
The windows Vista account does not seem to be able to burn a CD. Is there a way to turn on the ability while still maintaining the guest status.
January 10th 08 05:59 PM
by lab03 Go to last post
0 218
Vista Business - Logon Issue. by Techy[_2_]
I am a complete newbie to Vista and might be doing something completely wrong which some of you more experienced guys will probably see as a stroll in the park, so here goes... I have a HP Compaq 6720s laptop with Vista Business installed. It will be used on a school network and has been configured to run on the admin domain, by going to system properties then computer name, selecting change,...
January 10th 08 01:03 PM
by Techy[_2_] Go to last post
0 271
Vista Home Premium for Digital TV Product Key Validation by bgreen51
I purchased an HP Media Center PC six months ago with Vista Home Premium for Digital TV, which included an ATI TV Wonder digital cable tuner with the package. It came with on product key for Vista and a separate product key for support for digital TV. During my first startup of Media Center, I was prompted to enter the digital TV product key, which I entered and it accepted. The digital...
January 10th 08 04:58 AM
by bgreen51 Go to last post
6 264
Changing an account by pgcharlie
I just bought this laptop and although i have changed the name of the account in places it still says the previous users name. For example when the task manager comes up it still says user and the previous owner. How do i change this??
January 10th 08 01:16 AM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
2 242
run as administrator by Ballina[_2_]
I have tried reading the other help questions on this and tried doing some of the answers with no success. All my windows updates are failing. I'm being told I have to be the administrator to go in and delete corrupted logs/ etc. I am the administrator on this computer but I did not set up any password. Most common windows update error is Windows Update error 8007000b. When I have the...
January 10th 08 12:24 AM
by Michael Palumbo Go to last post
1 184
User Profile Won't Load Correctly by Abigail
I shut my computer off last night by just holding down the on/off button (not because there was anything wrong with my computer at the time, but because it was faster than letting the system shut down properly. I've learned my lesson, and won't be doing that again). Now, though, when I turn my computer on, it says my user profile didn't load completely or correctly, and that any changes made...
January 9th 08 09:18 PM
by Shari Carroll Go to last post
2 214
standard user accounts stopped working by Puzzled Dad
My standard user accounts worked fine until recently. Now, when my children log in, they get a blank screen -- no desktop, no icons, no cursor, nothing. I changed their accounts to administrator accounts, and the accounts work again -- although, of course, my kids can change things that I don't want them to change. Anybody else have this problem? Did one of those relentless Windows updates...
January 9th 08 06:27 PM
by Zanevalon Go to last post
1 238
Problem with Vista and a 2000 domain. by Dokkon
Morning, I'm the network admin and I installed vista business onto my laptop to troubleshoot any issues i'll be running into when and if i start rolling vista out on my workstations. I've got 2 problems with an idea where they are coming from but looking for some help. I did a fresh install and found little trouble right off. But once I connected to the domain (and rebooted a couple hours...
January 9th 08 03:04 PM
by Dokkon Go to last post
0 246
Administrator or Power User privileges not recognized in Vista by ldlacyguam
I am trying to associate .eml files with the Incredimail Program I use. However, I keep getting the message "You need to have Administrator or Power User privleges in order to associate .eml files with IncrediMailXe. I am the only user/Administrator on my PC and I've tried everything I know of, including turning on and off User Account Control.
January 9th 08 11:26 AM
by turboterry[_2_] Go to last post
4 252
Copying a file into \Program Files\.. using Explorer by AndrueC
I'm a software developer and I just had cause to copy one of our DLLs into the installation directory on a Vista machine. When pasted it in using Explorer I got (as I expected) the UAC prompt and I logged in as administrator. This was accepted but I then got a dialog box saying needed permission. The dialog box had two buttons and . did what it said but without asking me to log in again. ...
January 9th 08 11:06 AM
by AndrueC Go to last post
0 221
Parental Controls: at least one administrator account has no passw by Masol
I wanted to test Parental Controls in Windows Vista, so I've created a "Test" account and set parental controls for it. Then, after testing I've deleted a "Test" account. Now every time I log in I get a warning that at least one administrator account has no password. I even completely disabled Windows Parental Controls Service, but it didn't help. How can I get rid of that warnings? (of...
January 9th 08 10:29 AM
by Masol Go to last post
2 213
Roaming Profiles by SJMP
I have walked through the steps via group policy/folder redirection to point my profile to the correct shrare, but vista is still not loading it. Please help!
January 9th 08 02:46 AM
by n.sureshkumaar Go to last post
4 273
Permission to delete files by gjc228
I am the only user of the machine running Vista Home Premium. I do not use an Administrator password. I want to delete a folder but I keep getting a message that I need permission. Also typing controluserpasswords2 into search does not get me anywhere to even check on what accounts are set up on the machine (possibly by the manufacturer). How can I resolve this?
January 9th 08 02:23 AM
by brink[_2706_] Go to last post
2 243
how many PC's can run one copy by stewart
I upgraded my Dell to Vista. Can I add it from the DVD to my laptop?
January 9th 08 12:09 AM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post

From The