Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
standard user can see admin files after UAC asked for password by Cell
I have vista business edition (up to date) and here's my problem; There's 2 standard user account and 1 administrator account. While being on a standard user account, I entered the admin password to get pass the User account control pop-up. However from now on, the standard account now have full access to all files and folders for any account! How do I fix this problem? I want every...
January 9th 08 12:08 AM
by Cell Go to last post
0 251
Lost Password to logon to Windows Vista by Stevie R
My sister-in-law who lives in Australia finally decided to use a PC to keep in touch over the internet. She bought a Laptop using Vista and set it up with one user account around 2 months ago. She is not computer literate and barely knows how to switch it on. It has taken her up till now to switch it on for the second time as she just got broadband installed at her home. The problem we now...
January 8th 08 09:25 PM
by Stevie R Go to last post
4 315
Vista Home Premium and Administrator by The Cat''''s Meow
I am the Administrator on my computer, yet Vista will not let me uninstall or install certain programs. Even if I right click and select run as administrator, it still does not work. Again, this is not on all programs. I have a few games that I downloaded and cannot uninstall from control panel, even if I right click and run as Administrator. This is very annoying. I am the sole user of this...
January 8th 08 06:58 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
9 291
How to keep VPN running to switch user by msbutton27
Hey all - just upgraded to Windows Vista on my work laptop. Normally if I was in the office I would join my domain, then create my standard "mike" user but logging off administrator and logging in as "mike" under the new domain. But because I am not near an office, what I have done in the past (WinXP) was start up my Nortel VPN client as Administrator do a Fast User Switch and log in as...
January 8th 08 06:24 PM
by msbutton27 Go to last post
0 205
High-level Administrator account by davey_griffo[_2_]
What's this top level administrator account I keep seeing mention of? I've never actually found it, though apparently it's been created for me during installation. When I look in user accounts, all it shows me is my own account, which is an administrator account, and a disabled guest account. I don't envisage ever needing this super-user account, as I like to just switch on my machine &...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 8th 08 05:40 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
13 490
Error loading Profiles by yopein24
Hello, I have a problem when a user is trying to log in in Windows Vista. When i do it like an administrator, it loads my profile in a normal way. But when another user tries to log in, it says there was an error loading the user profile, and it will use a temporary one. when i check in c:\users, it doesnt create the user folder, its using the temp one. And if I add an icon to the desktop, the...
January 8th 08 05:33 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 285
log on as Admin by frustrated
When I try to log on to the internet I get a message to log on as admin. I checked and I am. This is a new frustrating problem. It worked fine yesterday. Katie
January 8th 08 07:11 AM
by NCOA SCHOOL Go to last post
1 241
TASKBAR IN WINDOWS XP by Angel needs help please
My taskbar has been moved to the far right of the screen and I cant get it to move back. It is very annoying. Does anybody know howto move it back? I can't seem to grab the top margin to drag it back.
January 8th 08 07:02 AM
by Michael Walraven[_3_] Go to last post
1 257
Cannot open file by RichA
I have an issue when I try to open any Admin tool with a domain account that has admin rights. ie When logged in to a domain\user account and try to open event viewer, I get a message that reads "cannot open window file c:\windows\system32\eventvwr.msc.was not found." When I log in as the local Admin it works fine. The domain\user account is part of the Admin group on the pc. This is also...
January 8th 08 02:48 AM
by RichA Go to last post
0 221
My Admin account can no longer launch CP or Backup and Restore!? by Walter Cohen
I have two user accounts on Vista Home Pro. One is a standard, limited user account (password protected) and the other is my admin account (obviously with admin privileges and password protected). I am not sure when this started happening but I am unable to launch control panel under my admin account. I get a pop-up of "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not...
January 8th 08 01:32 AM
by Walter Cohen Go to last post
0 211
How Do I Check if My Account Is an Administrator by Mike McCollister[_2_]
Is there a way from a batch file to determine if the current user is an administrator? I'm hoping for a single command. Thanks, Mike
January 8th 08 01:11 AM
by Mike McCollister[_2_] Go to last post
2 246
RDP stopped working by Goose7791
I use Vista Premium Ultimate as my desktop PC. I have it in a domain. I have been able to RDP into it since I installed it. Then today, for no reason, when I try to connect to my desktop, it tells me the username or password is invalid. I know this to be false as I can use those credentials on any other machine and even OWA. From the Vista console, I can successfully change the password...
January 8th 08 12:46 AM
by Goose7791 Go to last post
0 241
applying permission to Program Files by wretched
I'm brand new to Vista and must say it is needlessly complicated. All I'm trying to do right now is download MSN Messenger. I want to put it in the "Program Files" folder, but it says "access denied...you don't have permission...contact the administrator..." Huh? I am the administrator. Why would I want to put a program file anywhere else? Why would I need such a stupid feature? Why...
January 7th 08 11:19 PM
by ddelrio1986 Go to last post
4 286
Who is my administrator? by amberbo
Recently, I tried to use the task manager and it told me that "this application has been disabled by your system administrator" or something of that nature. I have never had a problem using it before and this is the first I've seen this message. I'm not sure what is going on...
January 7th 08 08:39 PM
by rajinisback[_53_] Go to last post
2 204
Vista - Admin.Pak by EdMo
All I can say is that MS BETTER have admin.pak with SP1 for Vista SOON!!! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click...
January 7th 08 04:57 PM
by Soap Go to last post
2 301
Unable to Install Vista Fix! by fas
Hi, i've get an error described in KB932406, but a really can't install this update! After WUSA tell me "Update does not apply your system" OS: Windows Vista Ultimate (EN) x86 Fatir Siddiqui
January 6th 08 06:01 PM
by fas Go to last post
0 274
Admin rights problems by Stoffi
Why doesn't Microsoft fix the problem many users have with admin rights? Many users complain about not having admin rights to files and folders on their own computer, despite the fact that they have been to security settings and made themselves administrator for the folders/files in question. Doesn't Microsoft think their users are mature enough to handle their own computer? I regret ever...
January 6th 08 04:08 PM
by tim-meh Go to last post
2 247
Creating Directories when installing software JAVA JDK by Mark
I am using VISTA and there seems to be a feature that prevents creating new directories when installing software. I am trying to install JAVA and it keeps on failing when it is time to create a directory. Anyone have any information about this security issue and where I would change that option? -- Mark
January 6th 08 05:17 AM
by Mark Go to last post
0 223
Administrator Account HELP HELP HELP by BouncingOtter
Ok, my girlfriend recently bought a new sony laptop. And has somehow managed to lose her sidebar. I was trying to get it back but keep recieving a pop saying only the system administrator can do this. I looked in the contol panel/user settings and her account is set as an administrator account. So why can't i get the sidebar back? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
January 6th 08 02:31 AM
by brink[_2671_] Go to last post
2 251
Help With Permission on PC by David
Hi I upgraded to Windows Vista recently and I have been having problems. I dont have access to all folders even tho I am the administrator. Certain programmes wont open up anymore saying access denied. Also my pc runs really slow and the hard drive is constantly running. Any help woul be appreciated. Thank you -- David_London
January 5th 08 10:43 PM
by David Go to last post

From The