Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
File associations and MIME types by Darren
Let's say for example that I have a .zip file that I want to rename to some other random extension (I'll now call it a .abc file), and I want windows to handle .abc files just like .zip files, using zipfldr.dll. How can I do this in Vista? In XP (and all previous Windows from what I remember), when you went into the list of File Types (which is now under Default Programs), you could add a...
November 16th 06 03:08 AM
by Darren Go to last post
2 503
Denied Permission to windows.old files! PLEASE HELP! by lionel
When I try to access my documents in windows.old (to copy to Vista my documents) I get the message: "You have been denied premission to access this folder" so I click the security tab and get "The requested information is either unavaiable or cannot be displayed" I am using the administrator account!
November 16th 06 10:54 AM
by gringo Go to last post
1 467
Can't select multiple files in the default Download folder by dot-bot
I had this problem too. I've found a solution: go to Folder Options-View and click on the Reset All Folders button, that should fix it. :D:D:D -- dot-bot ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dot-bot's Profile: http://vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=674 View this thread: http://vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7904
November 16th 06 09:50 PM
by Karim Go to last post
1 463
slow file transfer by Thomas M. McDonald
I have 2 raid 0's in my system. One is with 2 sata300 drives and the other is with 2 sata150 drives. When I move a 600mn-700mb avi from one drive to the other it takes a minute or more to do this. In XP it would be done in a few seconds. Any ideas or solutions as why it takes so long to move files?
November 17th 06 04:40 AM
by Thomas M. McDonald Go to last post
0 442
Recall window layout by Jerry West
It's to bad that Windows Explorer does not recall the window size, position & layout when you close and reopen it again. At least in Build 5384 it doesn't. JW
November 17th 06 05:20 AM
by Miker Go to last post
2 473
Can't select multiple files in the default Download folder by dot-bot
Still OK for me. Did you then click the Apply for All Folders button? I clicked that one too because Windows Vista would see a folder with .reg files like a folder with mp3 files and the Type and Date columns etc. would get replaced with Genre etc. columns. -- dot-bot ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dot-bot's Profile:...
November 17th 06 06:06 AM
by dot-bot Go to last post
0 408
Can't select multiple files in the default Download folder by dot-bot
Yeah problem occured again, clicked Reset All Folders, closed window, opened new Windows Explorer windows - now it selects OK. Where are the settings in the registry ? If we delete them and let Explorer create them from scratch problem may get solved for good (as I had similar experience with 32bit XP Explorer hiding Menus etc. that was solved this way) P.S. checkbox selecting is enabled - I...
November 17th 06 08:47 AM
by dot-bot Go to last post
0 406
files are read only when extracted from Zip folders by Jeannette
Hello, Whenever I extract a file from a zip folder or from a zip file from the network, the file is set to 'read only'. That's annoying. Any way to change that? Thanks Jeannette
November 17th 06 03:59 PM
by Jeannette Go to last post
2 425
can I keep my xp and also instal vista by master
Do you now if i can instal vista and keep xp so i can switch between them. i dont trust the vista for al my games and program (if the will work or not).
November 18th 06 05:53 PM
by David Hettel Go to last post
3 437
Explorer doesn't refresh folder content by Nime
While navigating folders with arrow keys, Explorer doesn't list the content of selected folder item at the folder treeview. I have to click the folder then Explorer shows that folder's content. Vista build 5536 (Pre-RC1) What about you?
November 20th 06 07:18 AM
by Jared \(Home\) Go to last post
5 504
Compressed Folders by roy
hi! I cant find the default program to compress and uncompress folders... the thing is that I accidentally chose to open my compressed folders with notepad, but now i want to restore it to how it was before and i can't because i cant find the default program installed with windows vista. I know i can download WinZip from internet but i don't want WinZip because it's just an evaluation copy...
November 21st 06 03:00 PM
by Josh Go to last post
1 481
searched files by aalowder
why do some files in the resulting search show up in a blue font?
November 21st 06 03:06 PM
by Josh Go to last post
1 445
pdf support in searching in vista ? by HelgeH
It seems to me that pdf files is not included in the index while searching in vista. Hopefully i'm missing someting here, and it should work ? Regards, Helge
November 22nd 06 02:49 AM
by Josh Go to last post
2 505
Can't get back my desktop icons by Explorerwielder
I right-clicked on the desktop and click "hide desktop icons and there doesnt seem to be a way to get them back, right-clicking on the desktop no longer works, please help.
November 22nd 06 10:14 AM
by SpeedKing Go to last post
5 468
Custom Search Tags by Kurt Harriger
Okay I thought vista was supposed to allow you to edit file properties and add custom tags so you could group and stack items by these custom tags, there are even instructions in the help "add tags or other properties to a file" which describes several methods to add/change properties on a file, including screenshots, I'm running vista ultimate and none of those methods work, all the...
November 24th 06 05:36 AM
by Kurt Harriger Go to last post
1 470
Permissions and TrustedInstaller by Jarmo
I installed Vista RTM to partition C and now I'm trying to remove earlier Vista RC1 from D. I have deleted all folders except Program Files, ProgramData and Windows. If I try to delete these, the errormessage after all UAC confirmation windows is: "You need permission to perform this action". I don't want to format partition D because of there is also data I don't want to remove, so what...
November 24th 06 04:43 PM
by PierreDa Go to last post
5 541
Can't write back backup files to some directories ! by PierreDa
Hi, Vista RTM. New install. I become a little bit crazy when trying to do "simple things" ! I have administrator rigths ans I disabled UAC directly after finishing installing Vista. Everything is installing perfectly ... right now ;-)
November 24th 06 04:45 PM
by PierreDa Go to last post
0 509
Can't select multiple files in the default Download folder by vista
is there any permanent solution? is this a bug or vista or what? is it caused maybe from some programs incompatibility? any official answer from microsoft? thanks
November 25th 06 01:58 AM
by vista Go to last post
0 483
Data missing from directory listings by Roof Fiddler
FullDisk scans all of the files and directories on a hard disk (including hidden and system files) and calculates totals. I ran FullDisk (in admin mode) on my 300GB hard disk, and got these results: Used Space: 104,392,954,169 Free Space: 116,398,723,072 In "Local Disk (C:) Properties" as reported by Vista, I have: Used Space: 183,689,109,504 Free Space: 116,398,657,536
November 25th 06 02:09 AM
by Roof Fiddler Go to last post
0 482
MS OFFICE MISSING FOLDERS by iglimpse
Have just connected Bluetooth and phone today and it asked if I wanted to configure it with MS outlook which would be helpful. All seemed to go OK (complete beginner!), But then I went back into Outlook and found that many of my folders have disappeared (the ones I had filters for) but also many others. Now only have basic boxes (in, out sent etc). I have no idea how or why this...
November 25th 06 05:29 PM
by iglimpse Go to last post

From The