Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Bug in Windows explorer can result in lost files by Dave
I believe I've found a bug in Windows Explorer that I can reproduce reliably. If anyone can get this to a QA engineer in the Vista group at Microsoft, I'd appreciate it. Here's how to reproduce: 1. Open the Windows explorer browser (not Internet Explorer). Set it up so that you that you can see folders in the left-hand tree view panel and files in the right-hand list panel. 2. Create a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 3rd 08 03:05 PM
by JohnMM Go to last post
11 351
"Calculating time remaining" stupidity by Nick Payne
Is it possible to stop Vista wasting time on this stupidity every time I use Explorer to copy anything. For example, I just copied a 4.3Gb DVD ISO between two drives. It took Vista about 20 seconds to tell me that the copy was going to take 15 minutes: it actually took about 6 minutes for the copy to complete. And if I copy a large directory structure, it wastes even more time giving me a...
March 3rd 08 04:53 AM
by Sick of Vista's obvious problems Go to last post
4 237
Documents recovery by DML
ALL of my documents have disappeared and I cannot find them in the recycle bin or by searching Explorer. Even the documents icon is gone. Any ideas on how to find them? -- Deane
March 3rd 08 02:29 AM
by Bob Go to last post
3 211
Lost Encryption key by Paul
I reinstalled Vista and wiped my encryption key......yeah I know, a complete idiot. A few questions. First, I did have an image backup that I'm not using but kept as security. It's on the backup but I have no idea where it might be or what to ever search for. Where is it normally save.......my documents? Second, if I can't get it from my image backup, is there any way to override it? What I...
March 2nd 08 10:55 PM
by Paul Go to last post
2 215
How can I move a program...? by RedZedSmee
Is there a way to move installed programs from one partition to another without uninstalling and reinstalling? I've just partition my HDD as I like to keep this tidy want to move the software about, is this poss without extra software or am I just going to have to do it the long way? Many thanks
March 2nd 08 08:55 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 213
Vista Search by Frank
Hi, In XP Home with Windows Desktop Search our users could search data on our network without having to have a copy of the 50GB of files on their laptop. Apparently, with Vista Business, the only way for our users to index this data is to have a copy of it on their hard drives (via offline folders). Is that correct? Has anyone found a way around this? Thanks
March 2nd 08 03:32 PM
by Frank Go to last post
0 159
Quicktime & RAID Issues? by Comcast Newsgroups
Hi, a little system specs here first: I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit on a brand new month old high end gaming PC with 500gb RAID 0 as 2x250gb drives. Before you get on me for lack of data redundancy, I also have a 500gb external hard drive being regularly used for backups using Ultimate's file backup and complete disk image backup too. My motherboard is an Intel 975x based and CPU...
March 2nd 08 12:10 PM
by Bob Go to last post
5 228
Files Remain Hidden Even though I selected show Hidden & Protected by LabTechnician
Hello. We have a computer with Windows Vista Business 32bit on a Machine here in our Lab. We are trying to figure out why some of the files in our software are always hidden. We are logged in as administrator, and we have set the folder options so that it always shows hidden files and folders, and to always show protected operating system files. and to always show file extensions. In windows...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 2nd 08 09:08 AM
by Ger Go to last post
11 337
Vista says it's time to run a full backup -- but doesn't tell me H by mch42
I've been using File Backup daily for half a year on Vista 64-bit Ultimate. The backup tool has been appending incrementals to the initial backup set which was created half a year ago. Now (finally) Vista prompts me to do a new full backup with this message in the system tray: "It's time to run a full backup. Click to start a new full backup." Now, when I click that message, it just opens...
March 2nd 08 07:16 AM
by mch42 Go to last post
5 281
Help with deleted items by somelady17
I was downloading pics from my digital camera, once all transferred i created a folder to transfer them to. After doing this i went to move the folder to my pics folder, this moved to the side panel under all the other folders that appear on the side panel. In the screen next to the side panel where my folder was i deleted the other pics and the folder that i had stuff in, the pop up window...
March 2nd 08 03:05 AM
by Bob Go to last post
1 192
Using Favorite Links by McAlex
I can't right click a favorite subfolder and drag it to Favorite Links and create a shortcut. When I relase the mouse button I am not asked to select: "create shortcut here". The bar which moved to the left pane, to Favorite Links, when draging, just disappears and the drag operation is ignored. Is it because I might have deleted some sample links when I was trying and fiddling to use...
March 2nd 08 02:25 AM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
3 288
Access denied trying to copy file across home network by Joe Ventre
I am trying to copy a file from an XP system to a Vista system and I'm getting an error telling me I do not have permission to do it and access is denied to the destination system. Here is the setup: I have a home network. On the Vista system I use START RUN and type in the name of the XP system (ex: system1). Using Windows explorer on the Vista system I drag the file from the source...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 1st 08 08:10 PM
by captdantman Go to last post
11 408
I have lost the right click "new" feature.. by pippo
I can't create a new folder becouse I have lost the right click "new" feature.. How I can restore it?
March 1st 08 04:42 PM
by Dave Go to last post
4 211
recover/find a file by Eva
okay here is my sad sad story. i e-mailed myself my essay and when i was opening it, i was asked if i wanted to open or save. i clicked open. then i finished my whole paper, and clicked the X button. then microsoft word asked me if i wanted to save or cancel and automatically, without thinking, i just clicked the save button. so somewhere in my computer...my essay has got to be saved, right?...
February 29th 08 02:25 AM
by Bob Go to last post
3 316
Folders by SondraJ
I was organizing my pictures into there own folders. I accidently moved a folder into another folder. How do I remove the folder from the folder I placed it in without deleting the folder and its content?
February 29th 08 12:37 AM
by Dave Go to last post
3 191
desktop search increases file size by mikebo
I am using Vista Business on my laptop, and I have downloaded the extension that lets me search my Lotus notes emails also. The problem is that this seems to lead to an ever-increasing mail file in Lotus. I am now at a 10 GB (!!) mail file, and it seems to be growing every time I use the desktop search. this not limited to Vista, btw, other people have the same problem under XP. Has anybody...
February 28th 08 11:26 PM
by mikebo Go to last post
4 217
PREVIEW HANDLER SURROGATE HOST by JDB369
I have received an error message a number of times about this. Here is the event code. Product Preview Handler Surrogate Host Problem
February 28th 08 10:43 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 211
Searching for files by attributes by Ray[_6_]
When I use Vista's "advanced search" function, I can specify location, date, size, name, tags, and author. Is there any way to search by file attributes, e.g., to find all files with the archive bit set? -- Ray (remove the Xs to reply)
February 28th 08 10:20 PM
by Ray[_6_] Go to last post
6 312
My folders have lost titles and now show modified time & date. HELP!!! by Roddan
Hi, hope theres someone out there with a solution to this ugly problem on Vista!! Every folder and icon on my laptop has somehow changed from its normal title to the modified time and date. However, when I open up windows explorer it shows as documents, pictures, games etc in the left hand part, but in the main window and on desktop etc they show this annoying date and time making it hard...
February 28th 08 09:40 PM
by Dennis Go to last post
4 186
File size problem by hearudude
Why when i hover over my Users folder it says one thing. Then when I right click on it and click prperties it tells me another? Example I hover over my Users folder and it says 4.76 GB,then when I right click and choose properties it says 38 + GB! Where the hell are all those GB? I have looked and there is no way I created them. What is going on?
February 28th 08 09:16 PM
by hearudude Go to last post

From The