Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Reverse Sort Order Views
new folders by jhurd
when i right click and chooser new folder, windows explorer quits responding. after I reopen it, there are hundreds of new folders. how do I stop this? jhurd vista home premium
July 19th 07 11:12 AM
by arindam_km Go to last post
2 169
Disk management Tool by tim
Hi, I am wondering if the Disk Management Tool is like Partition Magic,in that you can shrink and expand partitions without disturbing the files on the partition? Can it also Rename Drives?? thank you
July 23rd 07 02:01 PM
by Gunrunnerjohn Go to last post
2 220
How to Rename a Partition? by tim
In the vista Setup,i created a D and C drive.When i do not have vista installed,i see the C drive as either D or E drive or in any case C drive is not longer called C drive.WHY and how do i change that?? Thanks
July 20th 07 10:04 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
2 166
Can't unzip to C:\Program Files by JoRene
I find that I am unable to unzip (using Winzip) to a program file folder on my C:\ drive. I try to create a new folder and think that may be the problem, as apparently Winzip cannot create the folder due to permission problems. Is there a way to make winzip work as it did in XP so that I can unzip a program to a folder under Program Files? Now I have to unzip to my download directory,...
July 24th 07 10:39 PM
by Charles W Davis Go to last post
2 158
Pictures folder replicating by NodeEnocH
Ever heard of this? I have a new system loaded with Vista Home Premium. The problem starts with the Picture folder not being accessable in its original location, what happens now is that the c:\users\name\pictures\ folder looks something like this. c:\users\name\pictures\pictures\pictures\pictures\............ get the idea. It runs into about 15 or so folders. I originally thought it...
July 25th 07 08:23 AM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
2 135
I think i deleted my recycle bin in Windows Vista Home by bjk311
Is there a way to restore it? I deleted it by mistake when i right click and pressed delete instead of empty recycle bin. thanks
July 27th 07 10:53 PM
by brink[_73_] Go to last post
2 182
Vista Complete PC Backup Image Folder? by Steve Mavronis
Just did a Complete PC Backup last night, worked pretty cool. Just a question because I'm curious about it. I'm sure all is well. I noticed afterwards that the backup on my external hard drive was in a folder that Explorer says is empty? Drive properties pie chart shows it taking up space. I'm assuming is just a virtual disk thing. Double-checking because I don't want to get to the point of...
July 31st 07 02:25 AM
by Eduardo Laureano [MSFT] Go to last post
2 132
One simple task - Create and rename a folder - HOW! by Oldgoat
Malke, sorry about the incomplete info. I have partitioned the HD. Drive C: I have the OS. I don't touch that part. Drive D: I have all my pics, videos etc. When I try to create new folders on D: I get the 'File or Folder' does not exist and the folder is still created with the name New Folder and each new folder is given the next higher number:
August 2nd 07 10:31 AM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
2 146
One simple task - Create and rename a folder - HOW! by Oldgoat
Did you attempt to move your User folders there? No. Who, Where or What are 'User Folders'. I started with a blank, formatted disk partition called D: and to this drive I copied, from a dvd-rw several thousand files and 12 Folders. Worked great. But in each of the 12 folders I need to create at least 50 sub folders within each of the 12 main folders. The 12 main folders are not locked, write...
July 30th 07 07:26 AM
by brink[_103_] Go to last post
2 135
Games Folder by BlueNightmare
Hi, When I click on the Games folder I see some of my games displayed, but not all of them and I have a fair few installed, any ideas why they are not all shown? Its not a big deal, but it is better to see them there than go through the Program files folder, the games folder is better to see at a glance what is installed.
July 19th 07 05:04 PM
by BlueNightmare Go to last post
2 160
DEP harassment by Jex
DEP can cause annoyances at best when trying to do something on your computer. But it can cause insanity when every third thing you try to do is halted and unable to even comence due to DEP. My question is, Is there any possible way to over-all shut off the DEP? It would REALLY help me in about every way. Thanks.
July 19th 07 03:50 AM
by dean-dean Go to last post
2 118
Where is my temp files folder, and my cookies folder?? by cbailey01
On WinME I was able to click on C:,Windows, and then there were folders for viewing my cookies and one for viewing my temporary internet files. Now I have Vista, and I can't for the life of me, find these folders! Help please!
July 13th 07 08:45 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 136
I don't have C:\Program Data with Vista Home Premium by annieuk
My website hosting company say that, with Vista, they store a copy of my website in C:\Program Data on my computer. I cannot find C:\Program Data at all, but don't really know where to look. I can follow C:\Program Files through to Site, but this is a gif file..... Why can't I find C:\Program Data? What should C:\Program Data used for? What is going on in C:\Program Files Annie.
July 15th 07 12:00 AM
by annieuk Go to last post
2 126
MP3 driver seems to be lost to. by Lovejoy1970
After upgraded to Ultimate lost Creative zen mp3 driver. keep getting error code that it was lost. I try reinstalling the disk but error code keeps coming up. Ready to shot this thing. Anyone have a clue
July 16th 07 10:18 PM
by Lovejoy1970 Go to last post
2 170
Problem using Low Power State by BlueNightmare
Hello, I have just two days ago bought or rather had a brand new system built, its an Intel Core 2 Duo, and the problem I have is that when I put the system into the low power state, the Monitor goes off, but I then hear this persistant loud infact piercingly loud high pitched noise coming from the PC, only way I could stop it was to switch off at the mains, not something I like to do of...
July 15th 07 01:43 PM
by BlueNightmare Go to last post
2 167
Error when deleting file, file is in use by Martin Weber
Hello, i'm a software developer and i installed Vista last week. I have the problem, that when i open a file, no matter what kind of file, even a textfile, and try to delete it after closing it, i get the message that the file ist used by a user or a process. The only way at the moment is to reboot the computer and then delete it.
July 17th 07 06:20 AM
by Martin Weber Go to last post
2 173
Why didn't Vista Find my config.cfg file? by Steve Wood
I installed Quake2...it's the version which came with Quake4. One of the files the program creates is config.cfg and the user has to edit it or add a file named autoexec.cfg in order to customize the program. There is no way that idsoftware is going to rebuild Quake2 just to make things easier for us by adding a text editor so we can customize the settings, so I'll have to live with...
July 20th 07 04:08 PM
by Steve Wood Go to last post
2 169
Shadow copy warning on backups by William Hudson
I am using Backup Exec V11D to back up a Vista Ultimate workstation (amongst others). It started out with no problems at all, and then I began to get warnings like this in the backup job report: VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\wmdconn.cpl is not present on the snapshot The reason the file is not present on the snapshot is that it is not present on the disk!
July 23rd 07 03:54 AM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
2 192
Move My Documents file to another hard drive permanently by Steve Smith
I have a new laptop which has a partioned hard drive. I would like to move 'my documents, pictures' from one partition to another. Can someone help?
July 19th 07 11:44 AM
by Steve Smith Go to last post
2 145
Getting rid of a dialogue box on-screen by THELMA713
Recently I installed a PC game and filled out the registration form on-line. The next day when I booted up a large dialogue box appeared on my screen that said: please choose which program you want to open this in. At the top of the box it said Myst Uru Registration. The game is called Myst Uru Chronicles. I do not know what happened or what this means. I have tried un-installing the game,...
August 1st 07 12:12 PM
by THELMA713 Go to last post

From The