Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
what is Remote Differential Compression by AJB
\What is Remote Differential Compression. I have been advised to turn if off to increase my file transfer and copy speed in Vista.
February 24th 08 04:31 PM
by Brink Go to last post
1 345
Show hidden files-folder option by FOLDER OPTION not active
when i open FOLDER OPTION and select "show hidden files and folder",after ok,I don't see hidden files;Next that i'm openning the FOLDER OPTION i'l see that "don not show hidden files" is selected otherwise my FOLDER OPTION is not ACTIVE
February 24th 08 11:43 AM
by FOLDER OPTION not active Go to last post
0 323
ANN: Microsoft Boosts Windows Live Skydrive Storage To 5 GB's, JUst FYI. by No Name
ANN: Microsoft Boosts Windows Live Sky Drive Storage To 5 GB's, Just FYI. http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/02/22/microsoft-bumps-skydrive-to-5gb
February 22nd 08 10:24 PM
by No Name Go to last post
0 359
Vista (SP1) loses the search index by akita
Since a few days Vista inexplicably loses my search index – and I have no idea what causes this! This is soooooooooo annoying!! Every time I want the index to help me search for files, I find it has reverted to its default options (which do not include my folders), and I need to again manually add the folders that I want in the index. This causes Vista to rebuild its search index, taking...
February 22nd 08 06:00 PM
by Steve[_34_] Go to last post
1 331
Search for files doesn't search mountpoints by LAban24
OS: Vista x64 Ent ENG, SP1 I use mountpoints on my computer to manage my USB-disks. When i try a search from within Windows Explorer the search result doesn't return any findings located on any of the mounted volumes == Please fix! :-) Example: C:\ (System Partition on internal disk)
February 22nd 08 02:05 PM
by LAban24 Go to last post
0 300
Getting the Gadgets sidebar back. by TDINO34
I recently was looking at my desktop when I noticed that I no longer had on the "Gadgets" sidebar. I found it useful and i tried to see if I could get it back. I'm not quite sure what to do to regain access to this feature. Maybe I just am looking in all the wrong places?
February 22nd 08 11:58 AM
by Bob Go to last post
2 314
:-( sp1 removes Instant Search in start menu by isthis
I am REALLY mad to read (winsupersite.com) that Vista Service Pack 1 R E M O V E S the instant search field from the start menu! :-( I use the instant search often, finding it the easiest way find a single file that i'm not certain where lies. And now MS will punish me as a customer by withdrawing one of the useful features of vista (instead of the many useless ones) just because Google...
February 22nd 08 08:51 AM
by Bob Go to last post
4 383
deleting multiple favorites by xnykr
Is there a way to delete a favorite without the drop down menu disappearing with every deletion?
February 22nd 08 05:34 AM
by Jane C Go to last post
3 307
Vista Search Function by tonypolo27
Vista search has presets for pictures, e-mail, documents, music and other. How can I set it to find all video clips regardless of extension without doing a separate search for each extension?
February 22nd 08 03:57 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
5 316
Using SyncCenter to sync with two PC's and Thumbdrives.. by Nathaniel
On the Vista Features website, it states "The new Sync Center is a convenient central location in Windows Vista from which you can manage data synchronization between PCs, between PCs and servers, and between PCs and devices. The importance of this capability grows all the time as the range of computers, devices, locations, and data sources has exploded." Now, how do I go amongst this? I...
February 22nd 08 03:50 AM
by jamesvdm Go to last post
1 277
Folder opening options by MJJ
I have tried to set my folders to open separately rather than one folder replacing another because I want to have two or more open at once. However, although I have on numerous occasions tried to change the settings, Vista seems to ignore this and I can only have one folder open at a time. Has anyone else found this?
February 21st 08 06:58 PM
by Brink Go to last post
2 319
Scrolling problems in Explorer by Anneli
I have a problem when trying to scroll down in Explorer through the different files. It is possible to scroll down but as soon as I release the bar or stop scrolling with the scroll wheel the window returns immediately to the top view. I have never experienced this before and thought that it could be the mouse but the same things happened when the mouse was changed. This is the first...
February 21st 08 05:56 PM
by Anneli Go to last post
0 285
LOST EMAIL by PATSIEJ
SENT EMAIL VIA FIREFOX, SERVER NOT SET UP, LOST EMAIL, WHERE CAN I FIND IT?
February 20th 08 10:56 PM
by Peter Go to last post
1 281
Keyboard to Computer....HELLO by [email protected]
Recently I have noticed when typing via the keyboard which came with the HP Desktop PC, the apparent response was very slow to missing letters if and when I typed too fast. At first I only noticed it via my Yahoo email, but then that's generally the basic place one types. When typing, it's like I had to hit the keys much harder, and much slower for them to respond! This is really frustrating, and...
February 20th 08 09:44 AM
by f/fgeorge Go to last post
1 271
how do I find a file opened from an email and saved to a temporary by ssss
I downloaded a file from an email. I did not save it, I just opened it and commenced to working on the file. I then saved it using the save icon. I wasn't promted to "save as", so I assumed it went to a temporary location as files did in previous version. (I am working in Vista.) Well when I searched for the file, it was nowhere to be found. I have tried everything I could think of,...
February 20th 08 04:34 AM
by lnicolei Go to last post
4 330
Start menu doesn't work by Markdentoffe
Hi, I've got 2 problems with my start menu. The first is that my user start menu isn't displayed, only the all users start menu is there. Very annoying. Secondly, the start menu doesn't work anymore at all. I can't expand subfolders and when I click a shortcut nothing happens, except the start menu closes.
February 19th 08 10:43 PM
by Markdentoffe Go to last post
0 301
Windows explorer keeps crashing by dannydaman
hi i am having a problem with opening files because everytime i try to open something that uses windows explorer (explorer.exe), it crashes the program explorer.exe and restarts explorer.exe without tha file i want loading. i can't even open the control pannel and windows update so i cannot update my system at all. sometimes i have to restart explorer.exe manually. also for some strange...
February 19th 08 03:44 PM
by dannydaman Go to last post
2 301
The column bar under "My pictures" folder has disappeared! by Rileore
Hi! The column bar under "My pictures" folder has disappeared in Windows Vista 64bits! Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks in advance!
February 19th 08 03:32 AM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
9 381
Default programs & File associations by Danneman
G'day I've cocked up and forgot to untick the box "always use" when I was viewing a file with notepad. Now there seems to be no way of removing that file association (like setting it to unknown application) Notepad doesn't come up in the default programs for some reason, and I assume it has to be registered for that to happen. I don't know why it's not registered by default since it's, to my
February 19th 08 02:44 AM
by BCK Go to last post
7 288
Saved Word 2007 Documents by NewKid
Why is that when I save a Word document, it has the extension .docx now? No one can open any of my attachments to emails.
February 19th 08 02:33 AM
by GreenieLeBrun Go to last post

From The