Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't access folder that can be found in search by Rychi[_2_]
Hi, Recently I have been unable to see or access a folder with some videos in it on one of my drives. When I go to where the folder should be it is no where to be found but when I use normal windows search the folder comes up but it says it is 0 bytes and I can't access it. I don't rember doing anything to the folder to cause this. I am using windows vista. Any help is appreciated
December 20th 07 05:11 PM
by Paigan Go to last post
4 199
Breadcrumb Trail goes cold by clpratt[_2_]
::I am still coming to terms with the loss of the windows explorer UP button for navigation, but I do see how the breadcrumb trail helps navigate up several levels at a time and has other information if you click on the little arrows between the terms.:: ::One thing I don’t understand is why there is no path in the breadcrumb trail when you click on a file or object on the desktop (see attached...
December 20th 07 06:36 PM
by clpratt[_3_] Go to last post
2 152
Vista Folder Options/View - Problem remembering (Windows getting o by Geoff from LA
Strange bug? Some reason when I open up a folder, and I organize that folder by reverse-alpha name, then close the window, and open it up again, it remembers that. Normal? Now if I open up another location shortcut to a seperate folder, it uses that same organization. So I go to Options / View and check the "Remember window..." thingy. Doesn't make a difference. Whenever I open a file...
December 20th 07 08:43 PM
by Geoff from LA Go to last post
0 161
Where is the StartMenu by Michael Moser
This Vista constantly trying to protect me from myself is driving me nuts! In XP it was a snap to add a new Folder to the StartMenu. Not so in Vista! Where *IS* this stupid folder? And why can I not navigate certain Junctions? There is a "StartMenu"-junction in my C:\Users\me folder, but when I double-click it to open that folder I get an "Access Denied". It's me and I own this darn box...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 21st 07 12:31 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
11 325
Keyboard shortcuts by FORREST
why is it that vista doesnt open the microsoft word program when i press CTRL+ALT+W (i have put 'W' ) as shortcut while it opens fine for Microsoft Excel as 'CTRL+ALT+X'? other shortcuts also doesnt work for other programs.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 21st 07 01:04 AM
by DevilsPGD Go to last post
11 301
Folder Customization Idiocy by Keith Hill [MVP][_2_]
Why the heck does Vista think this folder is a Music folder? Does SP1 fix any of the folder customization brain damage? -- Keith
December 21st 07 02:43 AM
by Keith Hill [MVP][_3_] Go to last post
3 177
need help by JOJO
this might sound dumb to some people . but i got a new comp and was farting around with it and ended up deleting my recycling bin ... Yeah I know... SO how do i get that back?????
December 21st 07 04:40 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
2 216
Users on a Partitioned Drive by Jaclyn
My compuer has the OS installed on the C drive, and room for other data on the D drive. When I created a user, all of the user documents folders were created on the C drive. I created duplicate folders on the D drive, and modified each shortcut (using the location tab) to point to the folders on the D drive. Question 1: When I create another user, all the user documents folders are created...
December 22nd 07 05:06 PM
by Jaclyn Go to last post
2 186
Need help restoring Default Application Prop. by nobscot6
Well, as usual, when you're in a hurry you mess up and I screwed up. I was opening a file and wanted to change the program/association to open it. I'm not sure exactly what I clicked on, but it was the *WRONG *thing. Now all my applications that were linked to application under "Target Type" in properties, are associated w/ exe. Needless to say when I click on the desktop shortcuts, programs in...
December 22nd 07 10:09 PM
by Jane C Go to last post
1 187
Exclude AppData from Indexing by Yehia A.Salam
Hello, how can I exclude the AppData folder from indexing, it contains thousands of files I never need to search for, and I have to hear the hard disk spinning for an hour after installing any program to index its new files in Local and Roaming folders. I tried removing the checkmark besides the folder in the indexing options but somehow it's not active, I can exclude all other folder...
December 22nd 07 11:12 PM
by Michael Walraven[_3_] Go to last post
5 175
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by johns
"Jimmy Brush" wrote: Hello, I've noticed that a lot of the questions in these newsgroups are either directly or indirectly related to UAC (User Account Control). In this post, I will go over what UAC does, how it works, the reasoning behind it, how to use your computer with UAC on, why you shouldn't turn UAC off, and answer some common questions and respond to common...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 22nd 07 11:37 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
18 438
Custom WDS Rules by Tim Haughton
I have these requirements of WDS for a project: 1) I need to be able to add a new location to the user scope rules for WDS so that it indexes an application specific folder. This folder, at the moment, contains only text files. 2) This folder *should not* be included in any of Vista's searches from the shell. For example, if a user does Windows+F, the shell will not search my app specific...
December 23rd 07 07:00 AM
by Tim Haughton Go to last post
0 228
disable the UAC elevation prompts by Bob
Is there a way to do this without disabling UAC?
December 23rd 07 03:34 PM
by Bob Go to last post
0 265
icon folders by jim hornung
How can you change the folder icon to the flat xp style so you can read what is in the folder easier? the pictures show up much better, 4 to the front of the folder.
December 24th 07 02:34 PM
by Dave T.[_2_] Go to last post
1 177
remove associated file type by Amaury Groc
Hi I can't find a way to remove file type association. I set the wrong application for rar files, by mistake, and there it appears in the "open with" menu. I see no way to remove applications from there. Does anyone have a clue to that? Thanks! amo
December 24th 07 03:25 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 190
Could not find my previous My doc data's after re install Vista by Nahid
Hi, I could not find mt data's in windows.old folder after i reinstll the Vista in the same drive C and same user name. FYI the default, Admin etc folder exists in old window folder but it does not show user folder or files for user Nahid (Admin) . This files are very imp for me. Can any one pls help me???
December 24th 07 04:37 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
3 183
File names won't change case when replaced in folder by freewayflyer
In Windows Vista Home Premium, when I copy a file into a folder that has a file with the same name the prompt will come up asking if I want to replace the file. I indicate that I do, but if I'm replacing filename (lowercase) with the newer FileName (each word caps) the newer FileName gets copied into the folder but appears as filename (lowercase). Any way to get it to appear as FileName?
December 25th 07 07:35 AM
by freewayflyer Go to last post
0 237
Trouble with multiple file selection in Vista Explorer by Lord Vladimir Fedorov
Hello everyone, After some time of using Vista suddenly, I couldn't select multiple files in Explorer either holding shift or ctrl. Any ideas how could I fix it? I suspect Vista Manager tweaker has done this nut job, however Registry doesn't allow to view the dates of hanges in it, so I couldn't be sure it is Vista Manager. Thanks in advance,
December 25th 07 10:46 AM
by Lucvdv[_2_] Go to last post
4 237
Sensitive files on flash drive by Bob
I use a password protected flash drive which contains personal financial information. Does leaving it plugged in to my PC increase the security risk?
December 25th 07 01:37 PM
by Bob Go to last post
2 156
Windows Explorer crashing by averie
I've been having this problem off and on for a few weeks and it's starting to drive me insane! Everytime I open a folder, Window's Explorer will crash. It's only when I open folders on my internal drives, not my externals. Most of the time it's when I'm opening my Documents folder or my Downloads folder. I've been running with Windows Vista for a few months and have loved most of the...
December 25th 07 08:44 PM
by dre Go to last post

From The