Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Add Favorites back to explorer like in XP by jpm
I use Favorites extensively under XP to quickly locate files/folders that are arranged by subject matter in subfolders and displayed as a tree. I cannot find the equivalent function in Vista. I would like Microsoft to consider adding Favorites back to the Menu Bar. -- jpm ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most...
February 7th 08 04:17 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
9 510
Copy to cd by Sarah
Why do I not have the option to COPY TO CD under PICTURE TASKS?
February 7th 08 10:35 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
4 396
How to Recover Data from Vista's Backup Application by hastalavista
Hello, I would like to know if I can recover data that was saved using Window's Vista "Restore and Backup" application in an XP setting? Basically, I was using Vista and backing up my files every month until a virus just wiped out my computer. I had to reboot the OS first with XP. I lost my product key to use my Vista express upgrade disk and Microsoft is not helping me out.
February 7th 08 06:15 AM
by Malu Menezes Go to last post
1 291
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by personalnjc
Anyone who reads all of the posts regarding UAC and believes that all of this information is helpful is frozen in computing of 1991. Are you all not aware of how stupid it is at this point in time to have to repair a user account by using all of this mumbo jumbo? And has anyone tried it? You don't have permissions to overlay folders in the new user account when you try to copy one over. ...
February 7th 08 01:25 AM
by personalnjc Go to last post
0 328
Customize the toolbar? by Anton Geel
Hi. I'm new to Vista. I would like to know if it is possible to customise the toolbar in Explorer and My Computer like I did in XP? Any tweak tool available for this function? Thank You.
February 6th 08 06:53 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 270
How do I show all files at once when they r spread between many fo by Johnny Rice
I have about 3,500 files, spread between about 1,500 folders, and I want to view all files at once in one big list. I was wondering is it possible to extract all the files from the folders and put them in one big list. I have windows xp.
February 6th 08 02:08 PM
by Gary Mount Go to last post
8 342
Test by No Name
Test
February 6th 08 05:17 AM
by No Name Go to last post
0 424
Windows cannot find D:\Documents\Wickford Map by Essexbiker
Every time I right click an image file (in this instance a .jpg image) and try to open it with Paint Shop Pro 9.0.1.1, I get an error message saying "Windows cannot find D:\Documents\Wickford Map1. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again." I have tried opening image files located in D:\Pictures and get the same message! However whether I left click or right click any of...
February 6th 08 04:04 AM
by Essexbiker Go to last post
3 276
Folder Size in Size Column by AaronSchell
While browsing files and folders I've noticed something extreemly annoying. You can see the size of individual files in the Size column but you cant see the folder's contents size. This extreemly frustrating and I cant seem to find where I can enable that function. I know you can scroll your mouse over folders one at a time and a window will apear and you can see the size then, but thats...
February 5th 08 10:51 PM
by AaronSchell[_3_] Go to last post
5 283
Command prompt "COPY" command not working in brand new Windows Vis by CMD COPY command not working in Vista
I am trying to create an automatic Backup batch file using "COPY" command in CMD prompt in brand new laptop running Vista; but the operation not working. Any help please? Pete
February 5th 08 09:20 PM
by Bob Go to last post
7 411
Slow HDD's by Russell Rohde
On three of my hard drives (500 gig capacity each) I have placed approx 450gig of movies in the sperate root directories. When I access this folder, it takes a minimum 10 seconds before I can access any files and for those 10 - 15 seconds, whole PC locks up except for the Green Progress bar - Remotely through my Modded Xbox, standard Xbox360 or laptops, I can access the files quickly and...
February 5th 08 08:31 PM
by Russell Rohde Go to last post
1 318
Can't sort chronologically by Katharine
In windows explorer, when I click on the date modified button to sort chronologically, the file are sorted first by month and then by year. So, Dec 2007 is before Nov 2007, Oct 2007, etc. and then below all these comes Jan 2008. Is there another way to sort so I actually get the most recent files first?
February 5th 08 07:04 PM
by Katharine Go to last post
2 311
Windows Exporer by Joel
I can no longer use shortcuts in moving bunches of files. Ctrl+A no longer works for selecting all files, holding Ctrl while choosing individual files with a mouse does not work, nor does holding shift and using the up and down arrows for selecting adjacent files. What is wrong? I've tried the Windows Explorer menus, but nothing seems relevant. Do I have to go into the registry for...
February 5th 08 05:30 PM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
3 262
Can't open works document after it has been saved in Windows Vista by texasangel
Everytime I tried to open a Works document (.doc) it tells me that I need a file converter. It was working 3 days ago. -- vsmith
February 5th 08 06:46 AM
by SG[_3_] Go to last post
2 307
Renaming many files at once but with different names by remind
Hi all, I know one can select within Win Explorer and highlight a bunch of files and rename them all, so files called Project T Yellow Int 01, Project T Yellow int 02, become Project T Yellow (1) Project T Yellow (02) etc. But does anyone know if there is a program that would do the following. e.g Have 60 digital audio files, named Project T Yellow 01 Project T Yellow 02 Project T Yellow 03,...
February 5th 08 05:49 AM
by RegB Go to last post
6 276
file wont completely delete from my computer by greeneyez777
i deleted some files from a folder to the recycle bin. it let me empty them out of the recyle bin too. they are still showing if i do a search for them. i won't let me completely delete them. i can't find any other program they running in to prevent me from completely deleting them. i don't know what i can do. any suggestions??? its just stuff downloaded off the web nothing...
February 5th 08 04:45 AM
by Bob Go to last post
4 397
Windows exprorer issue by Romir
always when I'm in Windows Explorer and try to open one data CD, the system want to format the contend of the CD (even if it's not a CD-RW). How can I change this setting to windows exprorer simply show the contends of my CDs?
February 5th 08 03:48 AM
by Bob Go to last post
1 311
What Microsoft NDP1.1sp1.KB867460-x86 ? by Morton
Hi, I'm running Vista Home Premium. The above is on my hard drive, occupying 10.2 MB, and I have no idea what it is, or whether I can safely delete it. I Googled it, and it has something to do with a network. My PC is single and personal, and not in any official network that I am aware of. Any help will be appreciated. Morton
February 5th 08 02:37 AM
by Morton Go to last post
2 295
Folders - read-only by Michelle
I have copied all my internet favourites folders in from Windows XP (IE7). I didn't use a password in XP and still don't in Vista. Now, I can't organise or add-to any of the folders in Vista. It says they are read-only. When I display the properties of the folders, they have a green square (mixed content) in the read-only tick-box. I switch it off and accept the prompt which says that it...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 4th 08 11:43 PM
by btvarner[_3_] Go to last post
13 554
Indexing won't index what I am asking it too. by chunnel
I just reinstalled Vista 64. Prior, I had specific folders chosen for the index. These folders are related to my work and I even chose specific folders within Outlook 2003 instead of indexing the entire 1.3GB Outlook file. As such, it showed about 47,000 files indexed and I could search mail and contacts. Now I can't get it to find more than 5,000. However, after reinstalling Vista 64 4...
February 4th 08 10:44 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post

From The