Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
How to Eat Dirt by PC Medic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkV0hIUQRLE
February 4th 08 08:59 PM
by PC Medic Go to last post
0 310
Settings file for private network ?? by anton.m
I would like to know in which files Vista Basic stores the settings for a private network, and if it is safe to delete them. It is because I got a new router and netcard and gets a message that the stored settings does not fit. regards from Anton
February 4th 08 01:26 PM
by anton.m Go to last post
0 253
vista installation by it is me2
I installed a clean version of vista. during installiation it took my old files and stored them in a file named windows old. is there a way to reinstall my old settings and files?
February 4th 08 03:23 AM
by Brink Go to last post
1 251
Navigation Pane Views by Hugh in Winnipeg
Hello, I've been searching and I can't find what I'm looking for: When I open Windows Explorer it defaults to a view of some deeply buried folder (actually, it's the startup folder) that I have NO interest in at all. I would really like to be able to change that, but I sure can't figure out how!! What I would like is is for the Documents folder to be open, with Computer open below it. ...
February 4th 08 02:57 AM
by Brink Go to last post
1 268
encrypting a file or folder by fleur4
It just doesn't work....I try to encrypt a file in Vista Home and when I click the advance attributes box, in Compress or encrypt datas, the little box for Compress I can put the check mark, bur in Encrypt I can't click on it. Somebody out there to help ???? Thanks
February 3rd 08 10:19 PM
by Bob Go to last post
2 323
Barely visible icons of hidden folder and files by George
Is there a way to globally change the icons of all hidden folders and files so when you tick “Show hidden files and folders” they are quite a bit more visually evident? That pale-translucid yellow is only barely different for the yellow of regular files.
February 3rd 08 07:45 PM
by George Go to last post
0 249
Customizing Windows Vista Explorer's tool bar by Barry
It would be handy to be able to add a few different kinds of buttons to the tool bar. For example, an "Add to playlist" button beside the "Play all" button in the music folders would be very nice. Also the ability to change the order of the buttons, or remove the buttons. thanks -- Barry ----------------
February 3rd 08 01:46 PM
by eddynat Go to last post
2 304
XP SOUNDS TO VISTA?????? by Jamjame
HI, i prefer windows xp sounds on my vista computer is there any site that u can download the whole sound scheme for free.
February 3rd 08 12:31 PM
by Jamjame Go to last post
0 266
How to remove orphan Start menu item by Les[_3_]
Hi Vista Ultimate - fully up to date. I uninstalled a program through the Control Panel - Programs and Features. This seemed to remove all signs of the application from the C:\Program Files folder, but I was left with the application with sub folders on the Start Menu/All Programs. Since I didn't need this anymore, I tried right clicking on it and selected Delete - this resulted in a...
February 2nd 08 09:55 PM
by Les[_3_] Go to last post
7 311
Invest smart by Mr. Buck
How much profit can you make with one dollar? Check out this website www.forbuck.com Without any obligation, registering or other ties make cash!
February 2nd 08 09:37 PM
by Mr. Buck Go to last post
0 249
Desktop Icons by John Reid
I put the shortcut icon of a programme on my desktop. When the time came to eliminate the file, I removed it in the usual way. However, I did not remove the icon and the removal process did not remove the icon. Now, I cannot remove the icon as I can all others, by selecting it and then deleting it. Is there a process to get rid of these orphan icons?
February 2nd 08 09:30 PM
by John Reid Go to last post
4 355
Files disapears by Paaske
When i try to download files from, for example my hotmail, i always target it for my desktop, to be sure that i can find it again.That just dont work anymore. The files disapears. I have searched for them everywhere, and i can find the shortcuts, but they are just dead ends. A boks is popping up, saying that the shortcut dosent work anymore and that the files they are refering to, are...
February 2nd 08 08:00 PM
by Paaske Go to last post
4 265
File Type Ordering Inconsistency by Julian[_2_]
Almost trivial but annoying! I have a folder containing Excel .XLS files and CSV files associated with Excel... Unfortunately, when I "Group by Type" CSV files appear under "Microsoft Excel Comma Separated Values Files", whereas XLS files are under "XLS Files". (Excel Templates are also "Microsoft Excel Template in Windows Explorer, charts are "Microsoft Excel Chart", etc. etc. i.e. XLS...
February 2nd 08 11:38 AM
by Julian[_2_] Go to last post
4 292
Odd Msg above Flash Drive file list by Jeeslawees
My first time using a USB flash drive on my Vista PC. After I copy say 9 files from my PC Hard Drive (C:) to a Flash Drive (L:) the Explorer window shows the 9 files and they all seem to open just fine in whatever application they use. However, above the listing of 9 files in the Explorer window there is a line that says: Unspecified (9). It is in a blue font with a thin blue line...
February 2nd 08 02:45 AM
by DP Go to last post
1 264
Confused by Vista Backup structure by Jeeslawees
On my Hard Drive (c:) I have quite a few folders that are labeled with the name of a particular project, like say Project ABC. In those folders, I have all kinds of files about the project .... Word docs, Excel docs, PDF's, Pictures, Drawings, even Videos in some cases. Back in the pre-Vista days, the back-up software I used (3rd party I'm sure) let me select entire folders or individual...
February 2nd 08 02:27 AM
by Jeeslawees Go to last post
2 267
injdex by fotoflex
My index is turned off. Every time I conduct a search, I am told to activate index. In Options For Index, the buttons are grey. I can't press them, so I can't change anything. Yes, I am a beginner...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 1st 08 11:57 PM
by fotoflex Go to last post
10 574
reading DVD files by Jay[_4_]
I have some stuff on a DVD I recorded using a cyberhome DVD recorder and I've tried to download the files to make movie project's but the programs supplied on vista won't recognise the file's? Then I managed to save them as an iso file but that only saved the first chapter thats on the DVD, nothing else. any idea's?
February 1st 08 10:29 PM
by Phillip Devoll Go to last post
2 289
cannot stop sync. by Max[_4_]
Hi people, I've just try sync. on a network drive but now I want stop it it still remain active ! the sync icon in try stay active ( http://images3.hiboox.com/images/0508/pj6eaw5k.gif ) on in the sync center there are no options the stop the sync on that drive ! ( http://images3.hiboox.com/images/0508/wa550x84.gif )
February 1st 08 09:20 PM
by Max[_4_] Go to last post
0 272
Can i get them back from the evil recycle bin? by Star
in trying to free up space i deleted some file doubles however i only the last half was in the recycle bin...i now realise i need a file deleted in the FIRST half! Is there a way to get back the first half which disappeared?!
February 1st 08 07:09 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
9 353
vista full backup fails with a vss error. by Joe Letter
Occasionally when I try to perform a full backup in vista it fails. I get a vss error. Rebooting gets it to work again, but given a week or two it comes back. What can be done? Thanks! Joe.
February 1st 08 06:07 PM
by Christine [MSFT] Go to last post

From The