Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views Reverse Sort Order
Move the "home" folder location by yirm
I'd like to set up an account with a profile which has a home folder on a different partition -- not in c:\users. I've tried changing the Home folder "local path" location in Computer Management Local Users and Groups Users (accountname) Properties Profile. So this does create a set of folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.) in the specified location. However, When you...
October 24th 06 02:06 PM
by SoundCase Go to last post
1 617
Vista search anomalies by chasgl
I created three files home exercise 1.jpg, exercise .jpg, exercise 3.jpg in Public/Physical Therapy. When I searched for execise in Public none of them showed up. When I searched for home only home execise 2.jpg showed up. I am using Vista Home premium. The folder is index including both file name and contents. Any idea why something like thiw would happen? Thanks, Chas
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 22nd 09 03:06 AM
by nork Go to last post
20 615
Can I set Explorer like in XP address bar? by dropping_the_ball
Vista Ultimate (and probably all the other versions of Vista) have a bizarre idea of how address bar navigation should be. It doesn't follow established search metaphors found in web pages, Mac systems, Linux systems, and all of the previous Windows systems. To say the least, it is not intuitive. Furthermore, it doesn't allow customization to revert back to the XP-style address bar. Vista...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 1st 08 04:17 PM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
13 614
Vista and Appdata folders-infinite???? by Jeff
Hi, Anyone know what's up with the never-ending AppData folder's (as pointed out in another post in Vista general)???? This is causing my AV SERIOUS lag time;not to mention;taking up resources. One check of a scan produced this: C:\Documents and...
October 2nd 06 03:16 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
5 613
Find files and folders by Desmond[_3_]
Find files and folders date modified etc. This worked in XP has been scrapped in vista WHY?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 5th 09 01:48 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
12 613
Vista: Windows Explorer missing button for navigate up by telemachus
Hello Mike, I am trying to find out the answer to the same question. Alt-UP works, but there must be a mouse button too. Very strange it is gone. I also find the new folder view less easy to see at a glance what level/folder you are viewing... Levels should be indented more. Mark. "M-force" wrote: I am just wondering if the got rid of the button in Vistas Windows Explorer to navigate up...
October 4th 06 12:07 PM
by telemachus Go to last post
0 613
Vista does not find files!!!!! by no_nick
I have Vista w/SP1 installed on two machines and have seen this "file search is completely broken" problem on each. This is so incredibly weird and stupid, and I'm very ****ed that Vista won't even produce results for a simple file search. So, I'm in Vista and the little search box at top right is present on any directory I browse of course. I'm trying to find a file that's in a directory, a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 29th 08 06:52 PM
by Donald Lessau Go to last post
11 610
Format CD-RW by sharon
HELP - can anyone tell me how to format a CD-RW so I can create, save, edit and reuse files on a CD-RW? I have tried following steps on disk management but cannot format. I need to reuse CD-RWs and all files saved are Read-Only files on the CD-RW. HELP!!!!
October 10th 06 04:47 PM
by Gene Fitz Go to last post
2 608
Help change .zip default action from Explore to Open by genesis0x0
When I double click a .zip file in Vista, the default action is to Explore the file in the same window. Is there a way to change the default Explore action to Open so that when I double click a .zip file, it opens it in a new window? Thanks --
January 20th 10 05:31 AM
by Brink Go to last post
2 605
Nuked SD card after chkdsc or BCD change - any file forensics help? by a.k.a.
Greetings, everyone! Can anyone provide advice on forensic approaches or utilities to try on a nuked SD card? Or suggest the best forums to cross-post in? In the middle of installing a multiboot of Server x64 RC2 and Vista x64 SP1 RC, I began encountering BSODs on shutdown of Vista. On reboot, Autochk began to hang in Vista, and even on the occasions I could get into a Safe Mode boot, the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 31st 07 07:33 PM
by a.k.a.[_2_] Go to last post
13 604
17 file recovery apps tested in x86 Vista on a nuked SD card by a.k.a.[_2_]
Dear Forum, I am reposting these test results under a much clearer thread title, so that people who come trawling the search results with a file recovery need will spot this info more readily. The original problem was he http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management&sloc=en-us&mid=90f5985a-07be-4579-ac68-ec15029e9f3d As...
February 1st 08 02:45 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
3 604
recover/find a file by Eva
okay here is my sad sad story. i e-mailed myself my essay and when i was opening it, i was asked if i wanted to open or save. i clicked open. then i finished my whole paper, and clicked the X button. then microsoft word asked me if i wanted to save or cancel and automatically, without thinking, i just clicked the save button. so somewhere in my computer...my essay has got to be saved, right?...
February 29th 08 02:25 AM
by Bob Go to last post
3 603
Moving Default User (AKA My Documents) locations in Vista, how?? by William Topping
Ok, I have searched the Internet to no avail. Also I have searched these forums to no avail. Under windows XP, I could move the entire "My Documents" folder and have it point to a different location. An example would be D:/Docs/. Where D is an entirely differnet HDD. Bring up explorer in Vista using Win+E. I have tried to right click to bring up the properties of the user folder
October 6th 06 02:04 PM
by William Topping Go to last post
0 600
Indexing Network locations not available by @rturo
Why Microsoft is not supporting to index network locations like in Desktop Search. In Vista you can only index those locations if you set it to "Always Available Offline" because Vista Search is by default indexing the offline files. But what if I dont want to have a copy of those files in my hard drive, just the fast searching capabilities for those network locations. Desktop Search 2 has...
September 30th 06 06:06 PM
by @rturo Go to last post
0 598
Why are all my folders and files suddenly Read Only? by No Name
Working in Vista Business. Never happened before. Is there some fix? Thanks in advance. Russel
November 20th 07 08:48 PM
by brink[_1964_] Go to last post
4 597
How do i change default save folder ? by Colin10bc
Whenever i save a file from the internet it saves to the "Documents" folder instead of thre "Downloads" folder even when the file i am saving is not a document. Is there anywhere in Vista Home Premium that i can alter the default save destination ?
December 10th 07 11:10 PM
by Dag Korsnes Go to last post
2 595
How to get the Vista Search to find something? by Sults
I have noticed several times, that search under Vista is not functioning properly. For instance, searching all hard drives for *.jpg files did not found any pictures from Users/username/Pictures folder. The search itself has limited functionality: it is not possible to search files created from date to date, I can not find any options how to set search pane to be always with advanced search...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 6th 09 04:23 PM
by pacinitaly Go to last post
21 593
Missing torrent files by Zilius
I recently torrent a file which seems to be missing from my pc. One of the solution proposed by some of the older forum thread includes selecting compatibility files. I'm not sure what they meant by compatibility files? I'm using vista x64 and I checked everywhere but I can't seem to find what they are talking about. some sources says it might be in the temporary internet folders. my folder...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 31st 09 02:37 AM
by R. C. White Go to last post
16 593
problems deleting a file by fordbabe
i have vista on my laptop i was sent a picture through msn i deleted the picture but it still shows up in my photo album i try to delete it but it states the file is no longer located in the origional folder!! can i delete this file? how do i delete this file?
November 26th 07 01:41 PM
by Wandering[_2_] Go to last post
4 593
Gah!! cant delete stupid desktop icon?? help?? by Akarithor
I tried to download something a few weeks ago, i cant remember what it was, but i decided to cancel half way, but an icon had already been created, and now, i cant delete it. I use the delete button and it says i need permission cause im not user administrator, BUT I AM!! theres no other account but mine on my laptop, and then i click i agree, and it says it cant. Now normally i wouldnt be too...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 6th 09 07:19 PM
by elixir Go to last post

From The