Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
File is hidden?? by CJ[_2_]
Hi Groupies Last night I was working on an Access database. I closed the file and its folder and then decided to go back in to check something. I opened the folder and THE FILE WASN'T THERE!! Panic and chaos ensued for a while. I was able to find the file by going back into access and opening it from it's most recently used file list. I saved a backup copy etc.....
January 22nd 08 07:56 PM
by CJ[_2_] Go to last post
5 199
problems w/ d/l progs/updates etc. destinations by Cher (BIRDWISE)
Hi, I'm new to the forums but have been reading alot while trying to register. Lots of information! I've got a vista 64 and 32 bit HP notebooks. Am having problems determining why/how downloads are going to variuos places other than C drive Program Files. I d/l a bunch of HP updates and patches that went to some obscure folder in CHER a folder listed seperately from C drive (my nickname) It's...
January 22nd 08 10:23 PM
by Cher (BIRDWISE) Go to last post
0 159
Folder Refresh Error by Michael_Guthrie[_2_]
If I create a new folder in a folder it does not appear immediately. I have to right click and select refresh in order to see the new folder. At this point I must right click the folder and select rename to complete the once simple task in xp. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening. I do have the UAC completely turned off. I also have turned off the Areo desktop service. I appreciate...
January 23rd 08 01:49 AM
by Michael_Guthrie[_2_] Go to last post
0 196
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by Steffer
I am trying to install office 2007. The launcher says that it must be run by an administrator. When I right click on this file in the dvd drive there is no choice that says run as administrator. Now what?? "Jimmy Brush" wrote: Hello, I've noticed that a lot of the questions in these newsgroups are either directly or indirectly related to UAC (User Account Control). In this post,
January 23rd 08 03:48 AM
by ~Alex~.:MVP Windows Shell/User:. Go to last post
2 202
Right click on taskbar?? by ConfusedFrogrammer
This is really strange. When I want to close a program by right clicking on it in the taskbar the small options box does not show up( the box i refer to is the one with the Close/minimize/restore/etc options) instead the program becomes highlighted orange and I must open it up and click the close button on the top right side. In addition, whenever I want to open a minimized program while it...
January 23rd 08 05:06 AM
by ConfusedFrogrammer Go to last post
0 174
Switch to Windows XP by jean
I'd sur elove to do that...been looking on info of how to do it. I've had nothing but trouble.. everything I owned was not compatible.. I bought myself a laptop for Christmas and made sure i put xp on it.. Now t he vista is just collecting dust and it's not even a year old!! "Access Services" wrote: Lets all switch to Windows XP(or downgrade). It'll make your life much easier. We...
January 23rd 08 06:43 AM
by DarkSentinel Go to last post
5 205
Money File issue - posted in money forum already by Jamie[_5_]
See below for more details but I believe this is a rights issue to a file. When the user adds any transactions through money the database is never updated. The file acts like it is in READ only mode kind of but when I look at security it shows the user has complete rights to the files in the share and even the specific file in question. See these jpgs for information: There has been an error...
January 23rd 08 01:41 PM
by Jamie[_2_] Go to last post
1 253
Finding / highlighting searched for text in the preview pane by me
Finding / highlighting searched for text in the preview pane - can you do this? How do you see the text you've searched for in the document in the preview pane? This is basic functionality in most search software, without it preview is pretty useless IMO thanks
January 24th 08 01:42 AM
by John Hanley Go to last post
1 160
Windows could not start the Windows Search service on Local Comput by cm_gui
Hi All There was a folder (my own data folder) on my desktop which I had tried to delete to no avail. Always got the message saying the file was used by some process. Then I found out from somewhere on the web that I had to disable the Windows Search Service. I disabled the Windows Search service and delete all the files in the folder, including Windows.edb, tmp.edb, etc. After that, when...
January 24th 08 06:55 AM
by Brink Go to last post
5 261
Lost all information by mlbbkb
We recently got this dell computer with windows vista. Somehow it has lost all information. All of my email addresses, my background and pictures all of my saved favorites in explorer. It even deleted my email and my husband had to add it back. It came up with an unexpected error or windows shutdown occured (it has happend several times, but never deleted anything. It cant find a fix? I did...
January 24th 08 02:19 PM
by mlbbkb Go to last post
0 210
Display Problem by Martin Racette
Hi, When I open the Documents folder(or any other folder), I have on the left hand side some folder that I can access, and at the bottom there an arrow where you can make the folder tree appear. Up to there no problem, but when I'm trying to scroll through the tree the whole thinmg keeps moving left and right on it own How can I make it stop moving and remain to the left
January 24th 08 03:41 PM
by Dwarf Go to last post
1 284
Renaming Files in Windows Vista. by GEM
When I used to rename a big group of files, eg. Photos, on Windows XP, I would select them all and right click rename on the last one and type whatever name I would like for the big group of files and it would automatically rename all the files with an ending numer, eg. Lake (1), Lake (2), etc... Windows Vista is very different, I select them all and when I try renaming them it skips...
January 24th 08 10:54 PM
by GEM Go to last post
0 289
favorites and history by Farbuncle
There are files in a place called favorites and history that I want to delete. When I search they come up but I do not have the option to delete. What to do?
January 25th 08 05:27 AM
by Brink Go to last post
2 217
deleting history by N. Trbl
Once you've deleted all the history, searches, cookies, etc. from the browser window, are they completely erased from your computer? If they're not, where are they stored? How do you completely remove them?
January 25th 08 05:32 AM
by N. Trbl Go to last post
0 204
auto fill form by rich
I setup my auto fill form last year and sinece then I have changed my e-mail address. Now I can't figure out what I did to start with and the help button dosen't give my detailed steps I'm not that smart -- A friend is someone to call to bail you out of jail, But a true friend is sitting there next to you.
January 25th 08 04:45 PM
by rich Go to last post
0 243
undo by tosha
i ended a process and all the things on my desktop disappeared. the things like my shortcuts and my taskbar...how to i get those things back or restore that process???
January 26th 08 12:08 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
2 380
locating a database file by scook
I have a windows program written using VS 6.0. The program uses a vb front end to collect/edit data and to print forms. The data is stored in an Access database which is installed by default in the C:\Program Files\***242 directory. Our program works well on Vista, with one exception: a feature of our program is the ability to create backups of the most current data added to the database....
January 26th 08 12:13 AM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
1 271
Notepad saving failing by Jamie[_5_]
If I edit the file in notepad and try to save I get this message: "Cannot create the C:\users\nathan\documents\htmlfilename.html file. Make sure the path and filename are correct". See this posting: http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=19395&st=0&gopid=195995&#entry195995 "Right-click on the Documents file and choose properties. Select customize Use this folder as template: All Items
January 26th 08 12:24 AM
by Jamie[_5_] Go to last post
7 277
Why files do not show up under documents by svirving
My files that I have saved do not show up when I look for them, when i save additional files or resave those files they still dont show up. need help. the files that i have save can't be found any where, even with searching "everywhere" however these file have been saved in the correct location, because when i saved more files, the files that i had saved are there, are shown. I even try...
January 26th 08 01:03 AM
by svirving Go to last post
6 317
Deleting "thumbnails" in disc cleanup by Lori
I have requested disc cleanup to delete "thumbnails" from items that were stored in a program that has been deleted from our computer. We cannot manually delete them or disc clean up them. Any suggestions?
January 26th 08 01:49 AM
by Lori Go to last post

From The