Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
USB Flash Drive access by PeterW
I plug a USB Flash drive into a USB port and get presented with an option dialog box. I choose view files and very briefly if I am quick enough I can see a file list, a drive letter etc and then the drive and files are no longer able to be seen in the list of objects from Computer. Moreover if I try to access the drive by letter it is not recognised. If I do the same with a removable USB...
January 2nd 08 01:09 AM
by Bob Go to last post
3 191
disappearing [+] and [-] boxes in Explorer by Ray[_6_]
I use Explorer in Classic view, with "simple folder view" disabled. This works fine as long as the cursor is over the folder pane, but when the folder pane loses focus, all of the {+] and boxes for expanding and collapsing the tree disappear, leaving gaps in the lines that show the tree structure. This really looks amateurish, and it's distracting to have the boxes appear and disappear as...
January 1st 08 09:39 PM
by Ray[_6_] Go to last post
4 207
restorel extension default by moonme
How can I restore the default protocol on an extension after entering the wrong kind it was listed previously as "unknown application" Now, I can't access ANYTHING without going through the "back door".
January 1st 08 08:26 PM
by moonme Go to last post
0 202
External HD by Bob
It's been working fine on my Vista machine but suddenly it is no longer recognized. After trying everything I could think of, I hooked it up to my XP machine and it works without a problem. Anyone have an idea why this happened?
January 1st 08 05:04 PM
by Bob Go to last post
2 182
Sync between Vista machine and External Hard Drive and XP Machine by bobd
I need to sync folders between my vista and xp machines. I can share and transfer files fine. I go to the Sync Center and cannot figure out set up a partnership. Nothing shows as being available. It does not even recognize the external hard drive I have connected (and recognized). Trying to learn to use the new features, but looiks like I need sosme help. -- Bob
January 1st 08 04:55 PM
by Bob Go to last post
1 186
Issues With Windows Vista Backup by Mike McCollister[_2_]
I have been using Windows Vista Backup for a while now and just found out that it does not backup programs. That is fine but I have a number of things in my c:\users\myName directory such as .bat, .cmd, .reg, .js and some .exe files that are not getting backed up. Is there some way to force all of these executables in the c:\users directory to be backed up? I noticed that the "My Web Sites"...
January 1st 08 03:28 PM
by Mike McCollister[_2_] Go to last post
0 162
recent files list by willow
I posted a question a few days ago about my office files (recently used) not saving to the recent files list shortcut to be accessed by clicking Start, Documents, then list comes up. I have now noticed if I access a file thru this shortcut it is then deleted from the list. Any help greatly appreciated as I use this shortcut all the time. I have Vista Home Basic and latest Microsoft Office...
January 1st 08 03:27 AM
by willow Go to last post
0 205
LOST EMAIL DATA by Chezza Daniel
I transferred email files and data from XP Windows on old computer to Windows Vista on new computer. Had already begun receiving emails on new computer. These new emails and new addresses etc were lost when old files successfully transferred. Can I retrieve these new emails from my new computer.
January 1st 08 03:13 AM
by William Peterson Go to last post
1 183
Indexing Completely Stuffed by frostbyte
My indexing service is always displayed as 'disabled' on boot, despite changing the properties several times and rebooting. When I lookup indexing options, I get a message 'waiting to receive indexing status...' is displayed and doesn't change for as long as the putr is on (days at a time). Whilst this message is in play, I don't have access to any of the indexing options usually available. I...
January 1st 08 02:47 AM
by frostbyte Go to last post
0 150
I can't rename folders after updgrading by JohanSwede
HEllo everybody! After upgrading from XP to Vista Ultimate I can't rename folders. I can create a folder but I can't rename it from "New folder" to my own choice. Nothing simply happens, no error message, nothing. It just keeps om beain a "New folder". can someone help me? Johan, Sweden
January 1st 08 12:23 AM
by Bob Go to last post
6 154
Can't sync Word documents to USB drive by Jake
I'm writing a story, and I like to have a copy of my story with me, and current. To that end, I have this wonderful little USB drive, with more storage than I'll ever need for Word documents (1G). Problem is, Sync center won't let me sync it with anything but Windows Media Player, and WMP, while it can do a great many things, ain't so good at syncing regular files like Word documents. ...
December 31st 07 09:55 PM
by bobd Go to last post
7 220
Nuked SD card after chkdsc or BCD change - any file forensics help? by a.k.a.
Greetings, everyone! Can anyone provide advice on forensic approaches or utilities to try on a nuked SD card? Or suggest the best forums to cross-post in? In the middle of installing a multiboot of Server x64 RC2 and Vista x64 SP1 RC, I began encountering BSODs on shutdown of Vista. On reboot, Autochk began to hang in Vista, and even on the occasions I could get into a Safe Mode boot, the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 31st 07 08:33 PM
by a.k.a.[_2_] Go to last post
13 600
Shadow Copy is not working by Sorter13
I have vista ultimate and can't figure out a way to get "Previous versions" of files to work correctly. When check this tab all I ever see is "There are no previous versions available". Few things I've tried. Verified System Protection is enabled on c:\ (system) drive. Verified Printer and Filesharing was enabled on local connection. Disabled, rebooted and re-enabled system protection. The...
December 31st 07 04:07 PM
by LBJGH Go to last post
3 193
Burning Cd's by dakota64
2 questions.. When I burn either data or audio using Windows Ultimate, everything appears to be normal, the DVD disc shows, the data and play' s the audio... But when i attempt to read the date and play audio on another machine or laptiop the disc is shown as empty. It seems the stuff I have supoosedly burnt is not burnt but is retained in memory only! Using Nero Ver 7 my data and...
December 31st 07 07:52 AM
by dakota64 Go to last post
2 181
Backing out of "Offline files" and starting again by FarmerDave
I have managed to mess up Offline Files big time. I now have about 27 GB of hard drive space devoted to offline files I cannot see and which I cannot delete (when I try deleting them, while the PC works at it for a while, nothing actually happens). One of the many less than successfull things I did to get to my present mess was to go through the directories on the "server" PC I had...
December 31st 07 06:36 AM
by Brian Bradley[_2_] Go to last post
1 147
UAC (user access control) by Net Doe
Is this necessary? I see it as a hack to circumvent tight code. I always use an account with admin rights so I know when/what to install/run.
December 31st 07 02:50 AM
by DevilsPGD Go to last post
5 247
Test results of 17 disk/file recovery programs on SD card by a.k.a.[_2_]
This is a reposting of an identical message just below, using a more appropriate subject line, which will be useful for archive searches. The original problem is described in this post: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management&sloc=en-us&mid=a30b0072-1955-447d-bffe-2e54990dace6 As promised, I am writing back with test...
December 31st 07 12:39 AM
by a.k.a.[_2_] Go to last post
0 411
Consistent Folder Views ?? by ltwally[_6_]
Ok. I'm sick and tired of Vista periodically and randomly changing folder views on me. One day, Windows Explorer will show c:\temp in a detail view. The next, it will decide to apply the "Pictures and Videos" template and it will be in large icons. I won't have changed anything in the folder. Not a single new, modified or deleted file. It is by far my greatest annoyance. I've searched...
December 30th 07 08:40 PM
by Ray[_6_] Go to last post
3 189
Compressed Folder by Bob
After compressing a folder is it ok to delete the original uncompressed folder?
December 30th 07 03:08 PM
by Bob Go to last post
0 169
Vista Off-line file difficulties by shogun2
Hi, I store all my files on the file server, and then make some of them available as off-line files. When I go the Sync, most of the time the system only asks me whether I want to save a newer file on the Laptop, rather than allowing me to save the file on the server, which I know is the one I want to keep. When this happens the options I have a 1. Keep this file (Laptop version) 2....
December 30th 07 11:37 AM
by shogun2 Go to last post

From The