Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Searhing files on Vista. Very slow? by Karlos
Hi all, When I try to navigate to a certain file by double clicking my way there I find that Vista seems to take foreever to access the files. I see to prgress bar doing really slow and wjen I click the prgress box the file transfer speed is really slow (6k) the same applies to cutting and pasting. Has anyone else had this and is there a solution? Thanks
December 10th 06 07:28 PM
by Ecat Go to last post
1 453
Inbuilt CD DVD burning by noone
is there a way to disable it? i use nero and would like to remove the burn button from explorer. I know how to disable the burning service but this leaves the burn button still there. thanks
December 12th 06 04:31 AM
by noone Go to last post
0 249
Virtualized by Anilkumar K.V
How to get the virtualized folder path in Vista How to get information about the virtualized folder?
December 12th 06 09:41 AM
by Anilkumar K.V Go to last post
0 317
Temp files?-Disk cleanup misses them in Vista by Jeff
Hi, Some help here please? In disk cleanup; it says Temp files; and when I use disk cleanup, it supposedly sees them.(There's a box to check in disk cleanup that says Temp files) but it always says 0 kb. I check it anyway. I then run disk cleanup. Afterwards,when I type %temp% in search; I get Temp and temp-looks like the same folder, but nothing was deleted? Wasn't there a way in XP to...
December 13th 06 01:55 AM
by Johnathonm Go to last post
5 473
I lost my Music Folder by Jamie
I was moving some stuff around and i lost my music folder. How can I create a new one that is in the favorites folders area like the pictures and video folders?
December 13th 06 02:15 AM
by Tony Northrup, MVP Go to last post
2 532
Web Folders only partially working in Explorer by Joe Zapert
Hi, So I've been struggling to get Web Folders working in Explorer. The behavior that its exhibiting is really strange, and I'm wondering if other people see this or if there's something wrong with my installation/configuration. The following happens when adding either an FPSE site or a Sharepoint site: * After adding the site using Add Network Location, a site folder is added to the root...
December 13th 06 06:05 AM
by Joe Zapert Go to last post
0 283
Sidebar gadgets as seen on the windows vista features site by Helge Ringberg
If you look at this site ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/foreveryone/sidebar.mspx ) you see a picture of a desktop and then also the sidebar. What I cant seem to figure out how to add to my sidebar is how they got the recycle bin there, that box with 4 icons (notepad, paint, a deck of cards and a post it block) or the email thingy with a number 9 on it. Can anyone please...
December 13th 06 07:45 PM
by Al Biheiri Go to last post
9 563
Double-clicking .gadget doesn't give by b_k
Does anyone know what is the .gadget extension is associated with? Or another way to install .gadgets? Thanks.
December 14th 06 12:04 AM
by David Wright Go to last post
2 293
File type icon by Fatec
In Windows XP, I would always change the icon for all my file types (.doc, ..exe, etc), to an icon that I would remember. It helped me stay organized, and alerted me if some extra program I didn't recognize got installed. However, I can't figure out how to change the file type icon in Vista RTM. In XP, it was Folder Options, File Type. Does anyone know?
December 14th 06 01:11 AM
by Fatec Go to last post
3 474
Programs ??? by Jimmy Brush
"Jaxdom" wrote: (edited for content) Why the **** do you not allow me to run programs without 20 dialog pop-ups asking me the same question 20 times over whether I really want to run software on my computer? The computer is not asking you if you want the program to run; it is asking you if you want to give that program COMPLETE control over your computer.
December 14th 06 12:41 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
2 656
Access Denied in Profile Folders? by GeekUnit
In XP, I often checked the contents of profile folders (application data, local settings, temporary internet, etc.) for the existence of spyware and things I could delete. But when I turn on the option to view hidden files in Vista, I've found I get "Access Denied" whenever I try to open any of the folders in the C:\users\MyUserName directory. Is there anyway to browse these without...
December 14th 06 03:21 PM
by Jeff Go to last post
5 369
EFS on Windows Vista and 2003 Server by Alistair Young
I've recently installed Windows Vista Ultimate on my network, in which domain and file and print services are provided by a Windows 2003 R2 server. I'm looking to encrypt a number of files on the network using EFS, but I'm getting errors on attempting to do so. While I can encrypt files on the local disk without problems either through Windows Explorer or the cipher command, it works...
December 15th 06 01:24 AM
by niknik Go to last post
1 491
My file folders open a search window by Lisa
I tried to change the file folder icon and somehow all cile folder icons now open a search window. Does anyone know how to change the file folder comand. From MY douments window I went into tools then folder options and I clicked on file types. I think I messed things up here. Any suggestions.
December 16th 06 06:14 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 318
Extra Vista Folder Icons ?? by Synapse Syndrome
With XP I have a collection of extra folder icons to organise my stuff. They include coloured icons as well as lot of different graphical ones. e.g. http://www.iconaholic.com/images/downloads/icons/xp-folders/xp-folders-previews.jpg I was wondering if anybody has made scalable Vista folder icons yet? Cheers
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 16th 06 02:23 PM
by Jan Ilacqua [MVP] Go to last post
10 808
Redirect the "my documents folder" which is now my username by Johnathonm
All, I know before it was very easy to change the targeting of the "my documents" shortcut on the desktop. Now, there doesn't seem to be a right click option. When I open the folder it takes me to what I can only call my user root. I want to redirect it to "documents". Any suggestions or ideas?
December 16th 06 04:57 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
2 326
Files cannot be written/modified everywhere?? by prasad
I was using an aplication, that actually downloads files from another system. I can download that file only onto -- C:/Users/Administrator/My Documents/ if I login as an administrator. When i try to download a file into any other place or C drive as such, i get an error saying "Error Writing File"... Does anyone know anythign about it?? Also, the files i download are not been seeen in the...
December 16th 06 05:01 PM
by Jan Ilacqua [MVP] Go to last post
5 400
Best practice: traversal of all folders. by Manuel Lopez
Thank you for the explanation. However, I don't see why if access is allowed to the target of a junction, access isn't allowed to the junction (I can traverse "c:\users," so why can't I traverse "c:\documents and settings," which is a junction to c:\users?). On a related point, in trying to move the Documents folder ("Personal" in regedit) using the properties option to move it, I noticed...
December 17th 06 01:36 AM
by Jan Ilacqua [MVP] Go to last post
9 395
how to move my document by fanghong
I need to move my all files (document,picture,etc...) form C to D partition. i know i can move them in windows xp sp2. but in Vista i do not know. thanks
December 17th 06 08:10 AM
by fanghong Go to last post
3 265
Folder view settings is a MESS! by AlexMastah
This thing happend second time, on another new account. After perfectly customizing my personal folders view and settings, everything worked fine until I checked "Show hidden files". My system files started to look like "Pictures and Video" folder - on the root of C: i have detailed view and "Play all" button (yea, play me some config files). I can't customize system partition like other...
December 17th 06 05:44 PM
by Walter Blanchard [Walter B] Go to last post
6 395
Default Copying Settings by Mal Curtis
I like the More Information view while Copying / Deleting / Doing anything with files. However I cant find an option to have it showing More Information by default. I click the slider every time I copy something (if it gives me enough time) so it seems stupid to not have it as default. Has anyone figured out how to do this?
December 18th 06 12:41 AM
by Mal Curtis Go to last post

From The