Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
.txt Files always open minimized by Ribeye
My .txt files always open minimized no matter where I execute them from. Then I have to dig around my task bar(which always pops up and covers the tiny little sliver of the top of the notepad file). Anyone know why this happens? Very aggrevating to say the least. Thanks....Eric
December 16th 07 07:05 PM
by brink[_2355_] Go to last post
5 295
Hotfix KB942435 for memory error when copying large amounts of files by Andrea Doerges
Hi, I've been trying to get this hotfix from Microsoft for about a week now. In the Knowledge Base article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942435/en-us) it says to click a link to submit an online request to obtain the hotfix, but I've done that about three times over the last week and nothing has happened. I'm not so sure that this link is actually working, because the form that is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 16th 07 03:14 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
10 910
Searching for part of a file name by Garry
Can anyone explain how (as was so easy in XP) I can search with Vist for part of a file name, (ie. +, ++, or other characters) I add to files? -- Thank you, Garry
December 16th 07 01:11 PM
by Donald Lessau Go to last post
7 259
Urgent Help needed by ANDY
Some how my all my .exe files were reset to load by srcds which i think is a gaming program. I try and load programs when it was like this and it said the dll failed to lauch but i realised i can change it (only to programs e.g. internet,notepad,word) i have changed it to notepad and alot of gobaldy goop came up. I want to know how to reset it back to normal (which i gather is the computer...
December 16th 07 08:25 AM
by ANDY Go to last post
4 298
Indexing Volumes Mounted in empty NTFS folders. by deadonthefloor
In order to clean up the mess I had in windows media center, I removed the drive letters from my media drives, and mounted them in empty NTFS folders inside the "Public Videos" folder. However, When I check my "Indexed Locations" in indexing options, I do not see these folders when I drill down through the 'Users\Public\Public Videos" folder. I have a folder named "Television (A-M)" That...
December 15th 07 09:50 PM
by deadonthefloor Go to last post
0 259
Winsxs Folder 10GB and increasing! by Pbb321[_5_]
Ok, so since i've been running vista ulitmate x64, i've noticed that my hard drive has been continuously shrinking and I haven't installed or created any files or programs. So, I discovered that my winsxs folder is huge, 90% of my windows folder and from what I understand it stands for "Windows side by side" for the 32bit compatibility. I don't have a space issue, at the moment, but i would like...
December 15th 07 08:43 PM
by Darrell Gorter[MSFT] Go to last post
6 344
Where specific files are kept? by AndreaB
Could someone please help me find the destinations of some of these file folders? I am trying to find some specific files, and I cannot find them. I would really appreciate a directory to the following; Old Chkdsk files Temporary Files Thumbnails
December 14th 07 08:31 PM
by AndreaB Go to last post
0 292
Help! folder options not responding by Mattrix
This has happened to me several times, I usually keep the Browse Folders option set to "open in same window". But every once in a while, because of the actions I want to perform, I like to be able to open each folder in its own window. But the files don't respond. They keep on opening in the same window. I can't figure out why this is happening. The way I have dealt with it in the past is by...
December 14th 07 01:44 PM
by Mattrix Go to last post
2 331
Hidden Vista32/64 Tricks,Tools,Tips! by Russel Pitt
These Hidden Tools Will help you get max performance,What are Best of Vista, Tweak Security Settings in XP and Vista,How Using USB keys to improve Vista performance and more at... http://vista-tricks-tips.blogspot.com
December 14th 07 01:31 PM
by mikeyhsd[_2_] Go to last post
2 257
Change default "Save" folder by Ian Green
Back in the good old days, (i.e before Vista) the use of IE and your required download/save folder was easy. I split/partition my drive so that I have all my programmes installed on C drive, and all data (wherever possible) stored on my D drive. This makes for easier recovery from crashes etc. When I use IE7 and go to website A and try to download anything, my system defaults to something...
December 14th 07 11:49 AM
by Ian Green Go to last post
0 232
unwanted changes in details pane when folder is moved by Upacreek Nopaddle
i just transferred a folder of photos from an old computer using Windows Easy Transfer, then i moved that folder into a different folder on my new computer than the folder that it had automatically transferred into. when i highlighted a photo in the original folder that it transferred into (before moving the transferred folder), 12 different "details" were listed in the details pane at the...
December 14th 07 07:45 AM
by Upacreek Nopaddle Go to last post
0 291
unable to decrypt a file after win vista has been formatted. by Vicky-Aryan
Hi, i am using windows vista business in my sony vaio laptop. nd i made some of my files encrypted during normal use with the help of fingerprint sensor without providing the additional password , only swiping the finger on sensor could unlock those files but it can not be unlocked by a password bcoz i didnt provide it at the time of encryption. nd then recently i formatted my ...
December 13th 07 04:56 PM
by jimmuh Go to last post
2 369
Resizing the Windows Partition and Creating New Partition for Data by bnhoang86
I was a bit hasty in installing my new version of vista and forgot to create 2 partitions on the hard drive like i usually do. I want one partition for Windows and one partition for data. I have a version of Paragon Partition Manager but im not able to do these tasks because it says that the c: is still in use. What's the easiest way to get around this without having to reinstall Vista?...
December 13th 07 02:54 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
2 254
Finding Files in Vista does not work by Doris
I can't find any files in Vista when I put a name in, ist says " the search could not be intitialized". what to to? Thanks for your help
December 13th 07 02:03 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 344
error code 0x80501001 problem deleting files by caran
error code ox80501001 problem on removing read-only permissions from files and folders
December 13th 07 01:53 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 383
Retrieving lost info by Leslie
I mistakingly saved a blank document over my original document. How would I be able to retrieve it?
December 13th 07 01:44 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
3 254
Outlook 2007 by Dan
I always have Outlook Contacts and Outlook Calendar folders popping up everywhere. I keep deleting them and they keep coming back. It's especially prevalent when running PaperPort. I must have about fifty of those folders! The software maker, Nuance, is useless. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance! DW
December 13th 07 10:43 AM
by Dan Go to last post
0 265
Rename file AND extention by Bob
Hi, When I attempt to rename a shortcut, Windows Explorer will not present the extension "lnk" for review. Instead, it just presents the file name. How can I rename the the extension? -- Thanks, Bob
December 13th 07 08:03 AM
by Chang Yin Go to last post
7 276
Universal folder behavior by Sterlingdt
I work with a lot of jpgs and picture files and would like all my folders to default to medium thumbs or at least be able to set a folder the way I want it and have it stay that way. Every time I open a folder it defaults back to whatever..Also I Have a site where I have to link to multiple files from a same location on my computer and I have to retype the path over and over to the location...
December 13th 07 08:03 AM
by Sterlingdt Go to last post
0 249
Sync Center and read-only files by Bradley Plett
Let me begin by saying that I love the Sync Center included in Vista! The "Offline Files" feature is wonderful. I think the feature I like most is that it essentially allows me to have a virtual drive on my laptop (as opposed to simply syncing a specific folder on my primary drive). I am a software developer, and do most of my work on a desktop computer. However, I also use a laptop when...
December 13th 07 06:35 AM
by Bradley Plett Go to last post

From The