Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
File Won't Delete by Stuart
I had a 12Gb file that had been copied to my Vista x64 machine across the network. UAC was off yet I was still unable to delete or move it, or even view its properties! Eventually I had to boot into safe mode with command prompt and use CACLS.exe to give myself permission to delete my own file from my own PC. Is this "working as intended"? Its a real PITA!
December 18th 06 12:55 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 169
recover unsaved excel document by One Click
I was closing programs and didn't save my 2 page excel spreadsheet. I know it is saved automatically somewhere. Where and how can I find it? Thanks for your help.
December 18th 06 12:52 PM
by koze Go to last post
1 222
Metadata in external file? Avi and .mp4 files by VistaLover393
Is it possible to put tags into avi and .mp4 files? I don't think it is, Adobe bridge won't let me attach keywords to these filetypes. Also, if you cant add metadata to some file types, is there an option in vista to use an external file (like picasa uses) for one folder..? Thanks
December 19th 06 10:48 AM
by VistaLover393 Go to last post
0 184
How to delete folders from previous install? by Piotr Wozniacki
Hi, This has been asked and answered many times, but none of the answers semms to work here. I started installing Vista from the XP, but for some reaosn interupted and installed from the DVD boot. Unfortunately, the old installation files were renamed "windows.old" and I can't get rid of them! Tried from both OS'es (XP and Vista); tried taking ownership; tried running a command prompt as...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 19th 06 12:20 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
14 573
Uninstallation by Shalako
Dear Group, i had installed Nero on Vista and it did not install it saying it has compatibility issues. i am fine with it but the software i apprearing to have gotten installed in the Control Panel as program but vista is giving exception errors when i try to un install it
December 19th 06 07:33 PM
by R. C. White, MVP Go to last post
3 446
Regedit/Explorer folder tree by Jeff
Hi, Is it just me, or didn't the folder tree in regedit expand just by clicking on a folder, before RTM? It was like it autoscrolled; now you have to use the bottom scrollbar when you expand the folder tree? I swear it did it "automatic"-like; before RTM, but now you have to use the bottom scrollbar. Same goes with any folder tree using explorer. Any confirmation that this little convenience...
December 20th 06 03:27 AM
by Jeff Go to last post
2 237
Searching within non-indexed files. by auser
No matter what options I select, I can't seem to get vista to search within non-indexed files. I have "always search file names and contents" checked and I am searching "Everywhere". But vista will not show me files that contain my keyword unless the file has been indexed.
December 20th 06 10:09 AM
by auser Go to last post
2 217
$RECYCLE.BIN folder by Gigi
Is possible to change the location of this folder i.e. c:\windows\$recycle.bin? Thanks Gigi
December 20th 06 11:01 AM
by Gigi Go to last post
0 240
Create Zip-Folder with password? by Tommi
Dear colleagues, I wonder how to create a compressed zip-file with a password in Windows Vista without any 3rd party software. In Win-XP we had a menu item in the file menu inside the explorer window but I miss this menu command in Vista's explorer. I do not see such a command in the organize menu. Any help? Thank you. Microsoft Windows , German, Ultimate, MSDN
December 20th 06 09:59 PM
by blackjack Go to last post
1 328
Searching email in Exchange by S. Alter
Using Windows Desktop Search on XP allowed me to index all my email accounts from our corporate Exchange (2003) server and (it then stored the index localy). Using Vista Search, this does not seem to be the case. Using 'Indexing Options' -- Modify -- Microsoft Office Outlook, I only see my primary email address (i don't see any of my other accounts) and it is grayed out. When I hover with...
December 21st 06 06:59 PM
by Dave Wood [MS] Go to last post
1 407
Search - Windows Mail not Office 2007 Outlook indexed by stephen
Hi there. Now that Vista and Office 2007 have been RTM'd, I have installed Windows Vista and then opened Windows Mail to check a separate issue on a Vista Newsgroup. I then installed Office 2007 and connected to our company Exchange Server. Unfortunately I now find that Vista Search only finds indexed Windows Mail items and not any Office 2007 Outlook items.
December 21st 06 07:45 PM
by Dave Wood [MS] Go to last post
2 416
Link to Document and Pictures on Windows menu by vinayp
Both my Pictures and my Documents menu link seems to points to Pictures and I cant get them to change. any ideas on how I do this?
December 22nd 06 08:11 AM
by Ramesh [MS-MVP] Go to last post
2 315
Preview of pics in Windows Explorer from LAN-drives by jeutix
Hi! When I open a dicrectory in a LAN-drive the pics inside are not shown in the explorer window. I have to double-click to preview it. Isn't it possible to preview it automatically without double-clicking? -- Greetings Udo
December 23rd 06 11:53 PM
by jeutix Go to last post
0 189
Error 0x88982f50 when setting file properties on Vista by Nikola
Just like IanG wrote in his post (see http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=185614&SiteID=1 ), the same thing happened to me, but in final Vista version. When trying to set some properties (tags) on a JPG picture (located at my Pictures folder on V: partition), the following error dialog appeared: The dialog title is "Apply Properties File". The error text is "An unexpected...
December 24th 06 10:19 AM
by Nikola Go to last post
0 207
How to register file types for Explorer Preview Pane? by Portman
I like the idea of the integrated Preview Pane. It's great for text files, so that you don't need to open Notepad to read every file in a directory. I would like to "register" many other file types with the same preview handler. For instance, *.sql, *.cs, *.aspx .... however, I can't for the life of me figure out how I can associate extensions with preview handlers in Vista. Anyone know how?
December 25th 06 07:35 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
6 213
Happy Holidays '07 by Cthelight
Happy holidays!!!
December 26th 06 12:50 PM
by Cthelight Go to last post
0 225
I cannot select multiple files by Dedaulus
Well, hello, and sorry for my English :( I have Windows Vista x64 installed. After few weeks after installation the problem had came: in some folder I can select multiple files, in some - not. It doesn't metter wich way to select I use: simply with mouse with left button pressed or with shift-button or ctrl-button or with ctrl+a. Also in Windows Explorer orginize menu "Select all" item...
December 26th 06 03:56 PM
by Nathanial Woolls Go to last post
1 247
Can I install the window xp pro with vista license? by David
Can I install the window xp pro with vista license? I can't find the information in microsoft website.
December 27th 06 04:15 AM
by Ricky Traynor Go to last post
6 393
Created a new folder using Save As Dialog, but it does not show up by Kathy_MS
Hello I'm using the Save As Dialog in my .NET application running on Vista. When i use this dialog to create a new folder and save my file to it, the application knows where this file is. However, if I use the Window's Explorer window to then try and view this new folder, it doesn't show up! Why is this? This seems like a bug in Vista....
December 27th 06 10:12 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 254
"del /s foo*" doesn't work by Roof Fiddler
What's the command-line command to recursively delete all files and directories with names beginning with "foo"? "del /s foo*" doesn't work. Doing it using the GUI, with Start/Search and searching for "name:foo" and then selecting all and choosing "delete", doesn't work, because I have hundreds of such directories, and for each one Vista will grind away on my disk for a couple minutes and...
December 28th 06 12:06 AM
by Eddie The 'Ead Go to last post

From The