Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Separating Data & Programs by Wayne Magor
I always keep my data on a separate partition from the C: partition. This enables me to image the C: partition and restore it if there is any problem without losing my data. On XP you could simply move My Documents. This doesn't appear to be available in Vista. How can this be done in Windows Vista?
December 30th 06 07:51 PM
by azenhi Go to last post
3 370
Permission Woes by Teddy
I really can't keep up with permissions in Vista. Permissions for other users of the computer vs. permissions for network users when sharing files - I'm lost. And I must've done something horrible, because somehow I've slowed explorer down to a crawl. Basically, it seems everything is "shared" with "all users." Whenever I try to move or delete something from my C: drive, it asks if I'm sure...
December 30th 06 09:11 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 201
Publishing files to the web by Jay \(Work\)
What happened to this feature? Anyone able to find it? In XP you were able to select a folder or a picture and choose Publish to Web..
December 31st 06 04:23 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 170
accessing a hard drive from another computer... by CMKUbLU304
I have a laptop with windows XP on it and windows failed to load on me one day...so now I have a new laptop because we couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. There was no indication that the hard drive was damaged, so I was told I could access the hard drive on my old laptop by using a 2 way USB cord and plug it into another, working computer. It would then act just like an external...
December 31st 06 05:24 AM
by CMKUbLU304 Go to last post
3 263
Happy New Year '07 by LoneWolf
Thanks Jeff. We are 3hrs into 2007. Happy New Year to you and yours. Happy New Year to all. ............................................................................. "Jeff" wrote:
December 31st 06 04:30 PM
by Alexander Suhovey Go to last post
1 150
Vista not indexing particular folder by Rajesh
HI, I'm using Vista Ultimate final version - not beta. The indexing does not work for the My Documents folder alone. I tried all the tricks like adding the folder from the Control Panel Indexing options Modify Show all locations. None of the files are indexed from that folder. Indexing works for all other folders. I have also turned on the 'Index this folder for faster searching' This...
January 1st 07 11:44 AM
by Rajesh Go to last post
0 159
Ownership ? by Jerald D Montgomery
How can I take ownership of C drive? Using 5600 version
January 1st 07 10:29 PM
by Jerald D Montgomery Go to last post
4 181
Explorer, who did this? by Edward
Hi there After working for a few weeks I noticed a few very very annoying things about the Windows Vista theme and functionality regarding the explorer. I use the explorer a lot, a few things got better (searching) and a few got worse: 1) Selected files are not easy to spot. In XP your selected files are easy to see. The backcolor in Vista is way too light (some kind of light blue fading to...
January 2nd 07 04:16 PM
by Edward Go to last post
2 198
Display File and Disk Space in Explorer by Shrek
Hello, I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate RTM from Technet Subscriber Downloads. I have a problem with the Windows Explorer. My Status Bar is not displaying the size of the selected files everytime and the status bar or any other bar does not display the total free size on the volume, I have to go to "Computer" everytime. Is there any possibility to fix this?
January 6th 07 12:05 AM
by Night Trains Go to last post
6 233
Vista DVD burning suddenly takes a vacation? by jimmuh
Frankly, I've thought the inbuilt DVD/CD burning features of Windows XP and Vista have always been pretty flaky. The whole thing just doesn't look to me as though it was designed by someone who actually wanted it to work, what with the various balloon messages about seeing files that are ready to be burned and the series of little dialog boxes. But the past couple of days the feature doesn't...
January 6th 07 05:12 PM
by jimmuh Go to last post
6 254
Clickable folders in Save As Address Bar? by Nigel Molesworth
I like the clickable folders in the Address Bar, but they don't seem to appear in the Save As dialogue. Is this a feature?
January 7th 07 01:28 AM
by Sharon F Go to last post
1 164
Auto sync Through GPO by Or Tsemah
The settings that suppose to make Vista Sync its offline files through GPO Doesn't do anything (Both Computer\User Setting), what else can i do ? Thanks. Or.
January 7th 07 05:26 PM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post
0 166
Take ownership-for dummies by Jeff
Hi, Need a basic "jeffproof" step by step on how to take ownership. Basically, I let Dell write a "system profile execute to my System32 folder-to find my service tag, and now I can't delete it. Even after I open explorer with "run as admin"go to security.click on meapply all(read/write/special) still says DENIED
January 7th 07 07:05 PM
by Jeff Go to last post
7 149
'Select All' option by pbateman
Is this option gone from Windows pulldown menu's? or is it hidden? I used to love being able to just go to Edit Select all, to select all items in a window, now I have to use shift or click on every item...am I missing something?
January 8th 07 05:03 AM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
2 164
I HATE vista file searching. by auser
I don't understand why searching in vista is so slow. I have a folder filled with a bunch of subfolders with about 1000 mp3s. I right click the folder and select search and type in "name:*.mp3". This list should be done in 2 seconds. But instead it takes minutes. What is it looking for? I purposely specified the "name:" part so it wouldn't look inside of the files in the folders. Another...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 8th 07 07:43 PM
by Ray Go to last post
15 332
Redirecting Users Documents to File Server by Brett S
In XP and lower versions I could right click My Documents and change the path to a file server so they could be backed up and synchronized. How can this be done in Vista? I have seen numerous posts saying to "Just right-click on Documents, then go to properties." That justs gives security and sharing.
January 8th 07 10:56 PM
by Ray Go to last post
7 327
"There is already a file with the same name..." when copying by Peter Meinl
Copying a folder containing some files and subdirectories to an empty folder on a different partition using Vista Windows Explorer sometimes I get errors "There is already a file with the same name in this location ...". The problem seems to be related to permissions. Steps to reproduce: Create a folder \test with a file test.txt and a subdirectory \db. Using SQL Server Management Studio...
January 9th 07 07:03 PM
by Peter Meinl Go to last post
0 167
.sql files not understood as text by Explorer preview pane by rasqual
Frustrating. The preview pane in Explorer won't show SQL file contents. Where do I tell Vista that SQL files are readable text? Argh.
January 11th 07 06:06 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
4 227
Searches on Non Index an the back button by blueey
Searching on non indexed folders can be painfull. Even more more painfull when you have to retreive the same results again - And it does the search all over again. I did a search I windows explorere that took a few minutes, then browsed another folder to look at something , then hit the back button and it did the search all over again. Cant vista not tell if the file system has been changed...
January 11th 07 05:07 PM
by Dave Wood [MS] Go to last post
3 179
Cannot access offline folders in different domains by Alberto Di Meglio
Hi, I have a laptop running Windows Vista RTM. The laptop is part of Domain A. The Documents folder is redirected on a share in the same domain and set to be always available. I can access it online and offline without any problem. I also use the laptop in a different network where Domain B is present. I have a share mapped with valid credentials in Domain B. The share is set to be always...
January 12th 07 04:20 PM
by Jill Zoeller [MSFT] Go to last post

From The