Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Windows Explorer double click choices by lr ffrench
Using Windows Explorer with XT Professional, double clicking over the folder icon in the left half of the screen opens the subdirectories and populates the right half of the screen with the subdirectories and files. HOWEVER in the past when I double clicked on a subdirectory icon in the right side of the screen, it Would Open the subdirectory and show the files, NOW I get a SEARCH mode...
October 4th 07 12:47 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 182
Can select one file only suddenly by Tate
I don't know why I cannot select several file at the same time when I manage my files. This problem has not happened before. It happens in the middle when I am manage my files.
October 4th 07 10:51 AM
by Malke Go to last post
2 504
Locating outlook.pst in Vista by Phil at MNS
Hi I've got a very strange issue in Vista while trying to locate the outlook.pst file. (for purpose of this message the user logged in is Matt with full Admin access) Outlook itself puts the file in C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst. I know this as
October 4th 07 09:12 AM
by Phil at MNS Go to last post
0 188
Memory leak when copying large numbers of files by mister.jones
Hello! When trying to copy large numbers of files (500,000), Vista stops after ~300,000 and complains: "There is not enough free memory." The size of the explorer.exe process keeps growing during copying (500 MB) , but there should still be enough RAM (2GB). To me, this looks like a memory leak. I already tried hotfix KB942435, which seems to relate to a similar, but not identical error...
October 4th 07 02:10 AM
by Adams Qu [MSFT] Go to last post
4 211
fonts.txt file by topman12
where in Vista do I find the fonts.txt file?
October 3rd 07 09:14 PM
by topman12 Go to last post
0 183
Can't delete update directories on data drive by Rob Roy
Windows is creating new folders of the form: D:\f7092b6df34fa531d3a0f8168ba51de5 These seem to be update folders, and they are being put on my data drive. The problem is that I cannot delete them. I receive an error: Destination Folder Access Denied - you need permission to perform this action (Try Again | Cancel)
October 3rd 07 09:06 PM
by Rob Roy Go to last post
0 198
Scrolling Through Images In A Particular Order by Zareku
Let me try to make some sense here, because this is very difficult to explain... I am trying to open some pictures in a particular order. I like to have my files sorted by the date they were modified. I've already set this up, but when I open the image and try to scroll to the next one, it opens the next image as if they were alphabetically sorted rather than the date they were modified....
October 3rd 07 08:52 PM
by Jeff Richards Go to last post
3 180
Where are the delete, Copy, Paste, Cut,.. buttons? by Moonwalker
What the hel...Vista could missing these!!! Why, why, why??? Anybody know if there is some upgrading for Windows explorer?
October 3rd 07 07:41 PM
by Dave Go to last post
5 254
Lost folder Details Pane and want it back by Andrew B
I somehow got rid of the Details Pane and can't find out how to bring it back. I've tried toggling between "Show preview and filters" and "Use Windows Classic folders", and also tried Restore Defaults, but nothing works. How do I restore Details Pane?
October 3rd 07 06:39 PM
by Andrew B Go to last post
1 173
Shortcuts to Office 2007 by Luke
Hi I recently noticed that my shortcuts to Office 2007 (word, excel and PowerPoint) only have white pages on the desktop (white page with something in the middle) icons. When I pop the office 2007 cd in it tells me to wait while it loads then it says Setup has stopped responding. Anyway I can correct the problem? Luke
October 3rd 07 06:01 PM
by Luke Go to last post
0 172
Blank "Date Taken / Date Modified" field in Vista by Shaun
I am a big Torrent downloader who since switching from XP to Vista Ultimate has noticed that Vista does not seem to record the date on which a file was downloaded. All of the XP downloaded files I archived onto data DVDs show the date they were downloaded (the "date modified" field) when I bring up a detailed directory listing, even when I use one of these DVDs on my Vista machine. However,...
October 3rd 07 02:06 PM
by Dave Go to last post
1 220
Saving documents/files by kmathrn
I have been saving things on my computer to specified files forever. All of a sudden, everything I try to save is going to this stupid eml file instead of the folder I specify it to. What the heck can I do? This is frustrating the heck out of me. I can no longer save anything where I want it. Help!!!!!!!
October 3rd 07 02:00 AM
by R. C. White Go to last post
5 142
problem when using dvd data backup disk made with XP in Vista by John L.
When I put in a DVD Data Disk that I made in Windows XP into my Vista laptop, I noticed that when using Windows Explorer in Vista 90% of the files were not showing on the DVD disk !!! What am I doing wrong? Why can't I see the rest of the files? None of these files are hidden in XP. I have Vista set to show all files. There were no error messages when using the DVD Disk. I even tried turning...
October 2nd 07 11:05 PM
by hlwenger Go to last post
1 146
20gb on hard drive but where? by Alan
I have two 50gb drives on my laptop one is empty and one has 47gb showing. My documents has about 24gb there are a couple of gb on all the other files but there is over 20gb i cant find. Any ideas anyone Regards Alan
October 2nd 07 07:55 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
3 174
transfer files from XP to Vista using CD?? by URL
Hello, I recently had my old XP computer crash (irrecoverable), and have since gotten a new computer and installed Vista. In looking at my old cds, I realize that I had made some backup cds using XP's "Files and Settings Tansfer Wizard". I've already tried the "Migrate files and settings from one computer to another" feature of Vista, but it won't let me transfer the files. I realize...
October 2nd 07 07:52 PM
by Kristian[_2_] Go to last post
1 247
Indexing Service for VISTA Desktop Serch Stopped Working by TaNiL
I am using Windows VISTA RC1 x86 Build 5600. The indexing service for vista desktop search has stopped working. When I opened the indexing option from control panel I found everything is disabled and the message 'Indexing is not running'. I tried to manually start the indexing service but still didnt start. Any Idea why its happening or how to solve this problem? Thx.
October 2nd 07 03:41 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 357
Shortcuts by Luke
Hi I've recently noticed that some of my shortcuts on my desktop don't have their proper icons and are just white pages (some with something in the middle) but also they wont open. Any cause to this? Luke
October 2nd 07 02:51 PM
by Luke Go to last post
3 223
Windows Vista picture folder display rubbish!! by markyb2[_3_]
How do i customize folder pictures to look like they did in windows xp..when you choose a picture to represent your folder when it is in thumbnail view it has the picture inside the folder unlike in windows xp where the picture would cover up the whole folder..Is there a program or a hack that will let you customize it xp style ? On the second screenshot is the way the folder pictures look on...
October 2nd 07 02:09 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
3 177
Recycle Bin Icon by Phairie
I accidently deleted the Recycle Bin Icon from my desktop. I cannot find where it went. How can I restore it. ?????
October 2nd 07 12:50 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
3 159
Vista really stinks by Soundchaser[_2_]
Vista really stinks - after 8 frustrating months I got xp and installed it on my vista pre-loaded toshiba. I never had ultimate or business so guess what me no qualify for toshiba downgrade deal, *******s. got xp any way and much much better VISTA SUX Gonna keep an eye on Ubuntu as well. Bill Gates yer done for!
October 2nd 07 09:12 AM
by Soundchaser[_2_] Go to last post

From The