Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
AppData ... where kept? by occam
I have installed MailwasherPro (a mail pre-filtering programe) on Vista Business. The installation, (as an admin) went OK, and the programme installed and running OK. However, when I try to save some filters (from an installation on Win XP) Vista complains: "Could not save the blacklist file (this includes the friends list).
September 27th 07 04:44 PM
by occam Go to last post
1 156
Vista Desktop Icons by Weatherman5
I run Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I make a desktop shortcut to a favourite web page. Rather than displaying the icon for the link it shows what I assume is a default icon of the ā€œeā€ with a blank page behind it. If I then change the Icon to one I want and apply, it changes. Then as soon as I click on this icon and the web page opens the icon goes back to the default. How do I get it to show the...
September 27th 07 11:31 AM
by Weatherman5 Go to last post
0 149
Forced association with Office 2007 by JohnM
I use Vista. I have Office 2003 (Word and Excel) installed. I can launch these programs and then open a file. But when I double click to open a file directly from within the directory, .doc and .xls are now launching an installation of Office 2007--installation process begins and I have to cancel it. Somehow MS got it so that the extensions are associated with the new versions. How do I...
September 27th 07 02:01 AM
by Malke Go to last post
3 173
Users can't run subst.exe or attrib.exe ?? by Keith Hill [MVP][_2_]
For some reason, my Vista Enterprise system has reset permissions on a number of EXEs in the windows dirs and now I have to elevate to execute attrib.exe and subst.exe. The following EXEs are affected: C:\Windows\System32\at.exe C:\Windows\System32\attrib.exe C:\Windows\System32\cacls.exe C:\Windows\System32\debug.exe C:\Windows\System32\DRWATSON.EXE C:\Windows\System32\edlin.exe
September 26th 07 11:51 PM
by Keith Hill [MVP][_2_] Go to last post
0 157
Vista creates multiple folders - by Tony-C
When I create a new folder, Vista just sits there for several minutes, because it's creating HUNDREDS of folders. How can I stop this ? I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit on a Dell Dimension E521 PC.
September 26th 07 11:07 PM
by Tony-C[_2_] Go to last post
2 179
Windows Explorer -- How to Find ALL folders??? by EW[_2_]
For starters, pardon the dumbbell question. OK, how can I find and view all folders on my C: drive using Vista's Windows Explorer? I've already checked the box to view system folders, but that didn't help. I am trying to find ALL the folders under C:\users\myname\apps\........ etc. I can't see anything past the "myname" folder, although I know it (and many other sub-folders) are...
September 26th 07 11:03 PM
by EW[_2_] Go to last post
3 174
Syncronization Center by Marco Biagioni
I need to know how disable the Syncronization activity. I can't remove the syncronization icon in my notify area and also i have a Syncronization relationship shown in Syncronization center for a folder in one of the PC in local network,and i would like delete it, but there are no options to do that.I don't need anymore that sync relation for file but vista give no possibility to delete it or...
September 26th 07 06:49 PM
by Marco Biagioni Go to last post
0 160
Blank text in search results by [email protected]
I have also seen the Vista search window for e-mail come up with generic white icons but no visible text. This just started happening yesterday. If I click on "All" I will see text and icons but if I go mail to "E-mail" only I just get the generic icon. If anyone has an idea, I'd be interested.
September 26th 07 02:54 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
1 139
Undelete a directory on an external harddrive by WSC94507
I deleted a large (10 GB) directory on an external harddrive. It was too large for the recycle bin. Can I undelete the directory? -- WSC94507
September 26th 07 05:42 AM
by WSC94507 Go to last post
0 152
Offline files out of sync with live files by Jason
I have an issue on a Windows Vista Business laptop. The exact same scenarios has worked very well with XP Pro in the past. User selects a network share to "Make Available Offline". The files sync to the laptop. User disconnects, edits file, reconnects and syncs fine. Now that the user is back on the network and the status indicates online, if the user edits any file that is available...
September 26th 07 02:50 AM
by Jason Go to last post
0 178
Renaming a file by MrMusic
Is there any way to REMOVE my having to double clikc every time I need to rename a file? It slows down the process & is a pain in the behind. As I struggle with Vista since April on my new Acer laptop, I become CLOSER to totally removing it & installing XP. I did not have an option when I purchased it. You gotta work hard to make an OS system this complex to use!!!!! Thanks for the help.
September 26th 07 01:50 AM
by brink[_1233_] Go to last post
4 139
Set default search beheviour by Dave21
Hi. I'm having problems getting Windows Vista's search function to behave in the same way as a Windows Classic Search/Windows 2000 Search by default. From the start orb, if you click search, it brings up the search window. Searching for a file (For example, winamp.ini - The file I was looking for when I ran into this problem) kicks off a search in Indexed, visible areas, not always finding...
September 25th 07 08:03 PM
by brink[_1220_] Go to last post
1 155
Vista - Windows Explorer Help... by VH
Is there a way to set the Vista Windows Explorer to goto/expand a certain directory instead of always opening in the DOCUMENTS folder on the C: drive Thanks VH
September 25th 07 05:46 PM
by SpinalTap Go to last post
2 184
Searching files bases on content. by mundo
Hi all, Am trying to do a search for a file based on the content within a file, how ever vista does not appear to return the any files. the file is located on a network share, however if the file is located locally it can find it ? probably overlooking something here.
September 25th 07 12:50 PM
by mundo Go to last post
0 138
blank icons in search results by tate
I have or had? a similar problem. A fix at least for the moment : click on any other choice other than Show only: such as or and then click back on results and they appear. After closing out and trying trying search again it stills works and again after reboot it works,,,,, how long will it last strange -dc
September 24th 07 11:55 PM
by tate Go to last post
0 145
How do I put a command on the right click menu for a file type? by DJR
In all the other versions of Windows, you can add and edit options that appear on the right click menu when you click on a given file type by going to Folder Options - File Types. I can't find a way to do this in Vista. You can select the default program to run after selecting Open With...., but that doesn't help me much. What if I want to add an option like unregistering a DLL. To...
September 24th 07 11:01 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 163
Automatic organizing of my music files--how do I turn it off? by Heather
I have a brand new laptop with Vista. I download a good deal of music and podcasts... every few hours Vista takes it upon itself to reorder my files based on artist, etc. Not all of them, but some. This is causing huge problems for my iTunes account and is generally driving me up the wall. How can I turn this automatic organizing off?
September 24th 07 10:46 PM
by Heather Go to last post
0 153
CANNOT FIND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!! by Annie
I'm ready to toss this darn computer along with Vista out the window!!!!! I've only had it a few days. All I'm trying to do is download Paint Shop Pro X and install it. I've downloaded twice. Can't find the darn files, even with a search. When prompted, immediately after downloading, to 'run' the file, I click on it and nothing happens. What is going on? I miss Windows XP!!!!! Please...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 24th 07 10:16 PM
by Annie Go to last post
21 398
Interesting Problem with Netfiles in Vista by akm
I managed to find other threads on using WebDAV on Vista, but none offered a clear answer. My particular problem is when I attempt to map an https folder system to a drive letter using Vista's built-in wizard (available from the computer folder). I am trying to integrate a folder system that uses WebDAV (called "netfiles" by the university of minnesota) so I can access files as if it were a...
September 24th 07 09:44 PM
by akm Go to last post
0 207
Dotted box around icons and anything please help I need to fix thi by ColbyScott
Ok I have a dotted box around an icon I click and then un-click off screen. How do I get that to stop? The dotted thing is around anything right now. i have Windows Vista Home prem. please help. Here is a small picture of what i'm dealing with http://i1.tinypic.com/4ua7gpc.jpg... Also my internet explorer 7 has been acting up seems when I try to go to my favorties it flashes the list and...
September 24th 07 08:52 PM
by ColbyScott Go to last post

From The