Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Word Documents by JVista
Just a stupid question. I do not have Microsoft Word, but my colleague had sent me their pirctured documents in Word (.DOC) version, it that any way to read these documents other than purchase a brand new Microsoft Word? Thank you.
September 21st 07 10:50 AM
by Mo Go to last post
4 169
explorer tree view +/- icon by sergio5775
The +/- icon of the explorer tree view on Windows Vista changed to arrows. How do I change it back to +/-. Need help - thank you Sergio5775
September 21st 07 06:26 AM
by sergio5775 Go to last post
2 154
Date Created changes in copy by John
I am copying files from my old Win/ME disk to my Vista NTFS disk. When it was done I found every file had today's date on the Vista side of the copy. I am displaying Date Created on both sides. How can I preserve the creation dates when I copy from the old disk? John
September 21st 07 03:24 AM
by John Go to last post
2 168
Default Location for opening files by JackieH
Hi, is there a way to have Vista remember the previous folder that you opened? It is defaulting to My Documents instead of the previous folder that I was using. Thanks! -- Jackie
September 21st 07 02:10 AM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 157
Search not finding items in redirected folder by GeoffD
We use folder redirection via group policy to move "My Documents" to a network share. Vista search will not return ANY results from this location when I do a search. Even an advanced search for *.* at the root of MyDocs returns nothing. A checked with a colleague, who reports that search works fine for his MyDocs. I reset the indexing options to their default and then rebuilt the index, but...
September 21st 07 01:48 AM
by brink[_1103_] Go to last post
1 158
How to set select objects in folder view to width of filename? by Baltimoron
Ok, the subject is probably confusing. I'm not sure if this is just how Vista is but in XP when you selected an object by pointing your mouse at it, it would highlight the object only as wide as its filename. In Vista, objects are highlighted as wide as the file with the longest filename. The really annoying thing about this is that if you a file whose name is 32 characters long and another...
September 21st 07 12:59 AM
by Ciron Go to last post
1 147
Two Explorer wanted by MPS[_2_]
Hi all, I used to have an app called Two Explorers. It would open 2 Explorer frames side by side so you could easily compare, copy and move files and folders in one go. Does anyone know whether there is a VISTA compatible app doing Two Explorers (or more!) available somewhere?
September 20th 07 08:59 PM
by MPS[_2_] Go to last post
6 169
Defrag settings & progress invisible? by MPS[_2_]
Following a recent new install I decided to defrag now. In other OS I used to have a simple box with some choice of settings - do you want this or that and repeatedly etc.? Also one would have a large window showing the movemnet of data and clusters around the disk and one could see if the defrag would hang and estimate how many more hours ;-(( Quite useful.
September 20th 07 08:58 PM
by MPS[_2_] Go to last post
5 164
Problem moving folders - this is a bug! by Wyndham
There is a problem moving folders where the folder already exists at the destination, and you have to do it twice. Please consider the following steps. 1. Open Windows Explorer (e.g. the Start Menu) 2. Move a folder to another folder (e.g. PaintShop Pro to Graphics folder) - Note that in this example there is an existing sub folder inside Graphics called PaintShop Pro 3. Windows Vista...
September 20th 07 05:54 PM
by Wyndham Go to last post
3 180
Folder icon problems!! by markyb2[_2_]
I have just customised my folder icons to display an individual picture to demonstrate the contents within through:- Right clicking the folder then Customize - 'folder pictures' - choose file etc This works fine displaying the picture in the designated folder but these selected pictures are showing up in other folders which I have not touched. Most I can 'restore defaults' but others e.g....
September 20th 07 04:18 PM
by markyb2[_2_] Go to last post
0 151
settin files headers when attaching files by BCY1
hi all here is an interesting question/issue... (well at least to me!) i have set my file headers for folders using the properties options. i prefer to include several headers but mostly i like size and date modified....However, when i attach files to an email (from Yahoo or web based excahnge) the file selection window always has the default headers..not the ones i set up. this is...
September 20th 07 02:46 PM
by BCY1 Go to last post
0 142
Setting displayed attributes in Explorer by MikeM
In XP, I set up the format and columns I wanted to see in a Win Explorer and used the Tools-FolderOptions to apply the settings to all folders. After that, each time I opened Win Explorer, the layout was the same. I tried the same procedure in Vista and noticed that the 'Apply to all folders' only gets applied to folders of the same type as the one I'm viewing. When I open another folder,...
September 20th 07 02:22 PM
by John Go to last post
1 157
Help! by tracy
I am usually very good with organizing my files. At work I have Windows XP and I have no problem with that, but at home I have Windows Vista and it is driving me crazy! For one, I have like 2 or 3 document and desktop folder, don't know why, and I tried to combine them into only one. When I did, they were still there and also where I moved them. Also when I deleted stuff that I thought I...
September 20th 07 10:45 AM
by Malke Go to last post
2 362
Back Up Only Certain Files? by riknoc
I have Windows Vista Home Premium. (I know it sucks) How can I back up only my music files. The back up wizard wants to back up the windows drive at the very least. My music files are on a different drive and I want to back up those files on a regular basis to an external drive. I would like it to back up only what has been changed since the last time. Can this be done?
September 20th 07 10:26 AM
by Malke Go to last post
1 204
How to select backup folder on the desktop by abintoms
Hi, I have Windows vista home basic edition. My PC recently crashed. So I tried to get the PC back to the factory settings.. When I tried to do it, it asked me whether i want to create a backup. I did so and created a backup of all the videos and other options that were given.. I backed it up on a hard disk. After getting the PC all up and running, now i moved the backup folder from that...
September 20th 07 05:52 AM
by abintoms Go to last post
0 174
Can't find a file by Kieron
I'm using windows mail on Vista. I opened an e-mail, opened the word attachment and worked for 5-6 hrs saving all the time. I did not "save as" just hit the save button. Any idea on how to find my file. Normal search doesn't work. Thanks in advance. Kieron
September 20th 07 03:06 AM
by Kieron Go to last post
5 160
chkdsk /f does nothing for damaged drive. by chainsinthewall
I apparently have a damaged drive. I ran chkdsk C: on vista and it said the Volume Bitmap is incorrect. i have vista set up to run chkdsk /f on start up, but when it starts, chkdsk sits there at 0% and does not move. -- chainsinthewall
September 20th 07 03:04 AM
by brink[_1087_] Go to last post
2 189
One simple task - Create and rename a folder - HOW! by Oldgoat
Even 8dot3 never had this problem. Error message 'File or Folder does not exist' Have 23 Folders with just the name New Folder and a number. This has to be the worst windows explorer yet. Any real help appreciated... Oldgoat
September 19th 07 09:21 PM
by brink[_1084_] Go to last post
5 182
moving ppt files from desktop by bbrainerd
WHen I attempt to move a ppt file in windows explorer it shuts down. I am directed to KB938979. WHen I attempt to load the fix I get the message, does nto apply to your system. I have a 32 bit system and I am choosing the fix for the 32 bit system.
September 19th 07 05:33 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
1 163
Problems with Matlab by J.A.
I generated some files in my matlab code using 'save' command, but it is not seen on windows explorer. I've already checked using 'command prompt' that the file does not exist. However, I can still see the generated files in Current Directory window of Matlab program. I do need to edit those files in notepad for my research,.. Please help me! I am using Vista home premium (EN) and Matlab...
September 19th 07 03:58 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post

From The