Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Consequences of deleting music, video etc folders? by joe public
Hi, I'd like to delete the folders that appear in the user directory - music, video etc. I'm the only user of the computer. I presume you do so editing these reg keys: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
September 19th 07 02:38 AM
by brink[_1064_] Go to last post
4 239
Correcting file associations in Vista by Wally Cleaver
I have Windows Vista Home Basic and as I'm a computer novice I originally bought several weighty bestselling tomes (Vista for...) and pc fix mags thinking I'd be set up with all proper apps for running and troubleshooting Vista. Turns out lots of these sources just plain wrong on Vista compatible utilities and don't even mention appropriate utilities. E.g. my computer manufacturer's...
September 18th 07 07:56 PM
by Wally Cleaver Go to last post
4 218
Vista Backup Utility : Incremental backup questions by Nicholas Thompson - Me
I'm using the Vista backup utility every week. On the first week I did a full Backup and since then I've been doing incrementals. Oh, I have the Vista Home Premium version of Backup. I've noticed that my incremental backups are very large (gigabytes) despite fact that I've hardly made any changes/additions to my files since the previous backup. Does anyone know why this might be?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 17th 07 11:20 PM
by markproy Go to last post
14 487
How can I add the icons "Delete", "Cut", "Copy" and "Paste" in Vis by Moonwalker
Hi, Does anybody know how I can find the icons was usually i earlier verisons of Windows in Vista? I miss the icons as "Delete", "Cut", "Copy" and "Paste" in Vista! :(
September 17th 07 10:53 PM
by brink[_1040_] Go to last post
5 166
Restoring files from Vista backup to XP by PeterH
I have backed up my files using the standard recommendations in Vista, i.e. the Vista Backup and Restore Center. Now my Vista PC is down, and I need access to the files. For this, I only have my old PC runing on XP. How do I open the Vista backed-up files on the XP machine?
September 17th 07 08:51 PM
by Christine [MSFT] Go to last post
1 195
Retreive Icons by Rex
In a flurry of adding/removing, somehow I deleted the shortcuts and Icons for the recycle bin and the shortcut to my Defragmenter. I know there are ways to get there, but I would really like to retreive those Icons/shortcuts. Any thoughts, other than it was an inattentive thing to do?
September 17th 07 05:36 PM
by Rex Go to last post
2 159
Displaying file lists by brian
When I go to C/Local Disk the display reads as a list of music files with Name- Artist - Album-Genre etc - I cannot get it to display as a list of files as normally expected. OS vista Business - also have iTunes - is this the cause?
September 17th 07 04:32 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
2 162
Recycle bin: HELP! Is there a temporary file for deleted items??? by MandM
Marjorie here. Somebody please help me. I spent an hour or more today getting footage that can't be replicated. I copied all the image and video files from my camera to my hard drive (Vista) and, once successful, deleted them from the flash drive. In the hard drive folder, I innocently clicked on one still image to delete it, and all the new files disappeared. Poof! Desperate, I...
September 17th 07 05:01 AM
by Neil[_2_] Go to last post
4 292
How can I add Delete, Cut, Paste and Copy buttons in Windows Explo by Moonwalker
Please help me! I can not find any way to add the buttons Delete, Cut, Paste and Copy to the Windows explorer toolbar. I cannot find them anywhrer. (windows vista version 6.0, Build 6000) Maybe this is a registry-hack!!??
September 16th 07 11:18 PM
by PaulB Go to last post
1 160
Sending my powerpoint to another person by Dixon.
I have powerpoint on 2007. the Powerpoint has (.avi) movies embedded. How to I get the movies to work when I send a presentation to someone else? (How do I even find the names and locations of the movies??? there is no "properties" tab when right clicking!
September 16th 07 06:32 PM
by P. Di Stolfo Go to last post
1 171
Personal Folders (Downloads/Favourites etc) Lost by Mullin
OK, I've installed Vista for the first time and discovered the cool feature that Vista Personal Folder (contacts, favourites, documents etc) can be moved ie. your "downloads" folder can be pointed to a directory on another drive if you want to store the goodies there. Great, so I redirect Download, Favourites and a few others to my second HDD. The Problem: When I made the change the second...
September 16th 07 05:07 PM
by brink[_1011_] Go to last post
2 182
User Folders by kensden
I've seen posts where a user's folders can be moved to another partition, I can't seem to find a move command. So I chose Properties Location to relocate the folders from C:\Users\username\folder to Z:\Users\username\folder. All appeared to relocate OK. The Contacts folder shows up as being located in Z:\Users\username\Contacts however another folder gets created called...
September 16th 07 07:10 AM
by kensden Go to last post
0 162
view folder files in photos suddenly stopped working by diamond30il
hi there I have several folders with media files in them (videos). up till lately when I chose the "very large" "large" or "medium" thumbnails i could see some picture taken from the file. in the last couple of days i can still see these pictures in my old files but any new file i am adding just gives me a general thumbnail (showing the file type) and not a picture from the file. any idea...
September 15th 07 01:43 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
1 148
The Music and Downloads Folder Aeroness is Lost by psychoticness
The other, out of nowhere, my Downloads and Music folders lost their "Aeroness". I mean, in other folders, like the movies, documents, ect., the folders are blueish green and sort of translucent. But now, they are a regual yellow folder. I tried doin just about everything except System Restore because that will be the very last resort. Please, someone help me!
September 14th 07 11:06 PM
by brink[_977_] Go to last post
4 184
Windows explorer? by DP Linh[_2_]
When open windows explore, how can I set display mode to "list" as default. My default mode is now grand icons and it's really make me sick. My os is vista home premium.
September 14th 07 03:07 PM
by brink[_969_] Go to last post
1 148
Printing the results of a Windows search (XPPro) by DBenedict
We are reorganizing our company's shared drive and I have to move files into this new structure. Before I move things, I'd like to know where everything was. I can run a normal Windows search that shows everything I've got. (files, folders, subfolders). Is there a way to get a print out of this list including file size, location, etc? Saved search does me no good. Everything will be...
September 14th 07 08:34 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 166
How to I change default install folder c:/Program Files ? by Baba O'Reilly
I do not want my instlls going into c:/Program Files. It has become obvious to me that installing into this folder is very hazardous!!! I have searched everywhere in Vista but cannot find how to change the default install of a new program. I know I was able to change the default in Windows 98 to something other than this folder. What magic must be performed in order to get new program...
September 14th 07 04:33 AM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
9 274
Vista not indexing folders that are selected for indexing by [email protected]
I have search indexing turned on, and several folders selected for indexing including the "documents" folder (which I have moved to the location "D:\documents"). However, some of the sub-folders in "documents" are not being indexed. I search for "*.*" or any other search term in a folder with hundreds of files, and nothing is returned. I must use the advanced search function and select...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 13th 07 11:11 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
16 317
I cant open word documents sent as an email attachment by troubletrouble
Hi, When someone sends me an attachment of a word document i try to open it but it opens in notebook and all i get is a few words and a lot of code. Can you help me please???? This is really annoying me!
September 13th 07 07:06 PM
by troubletrouble Go to last post
5 205
false mem readings? by chubbyhead
a copied a big file (bout 30Gs). Before HP total advise center said c drive had 34% free. About half way through it said it had 42% free and had 291GB. After it copied everything it said it was 40% free,291GB. I was confused so I deteted the file and it said it was 49% free and 291GB. I restarted my computer and still it is stuck on this reading 49%, 291.83GB. I havent done much lately...
September 13th 07 07:00 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post

From The