Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
explorer.exe memory leak? wow hope it get fixed before launch! by Toxsickcity
okay, I am running 64bit edition of rtm ultimate. I have just copied about 30GB of Backup Data consisting of approx 134,000 files containing photos, Videos & Documents. I look in Task Manager and explorer.exe's memory usage is 490MB
January 13th 07 05:40 PM
by Digital Dave Go to last post
2 217
System Volume Information out of control! by Mike
I have a really stupid question: What is the System Volume Information folder used for? And why does it contain 60GB of data there? Running Vista x64bit Build 6000 (RTM) RAID5 (x3 320GB) Thanks, Mike
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 13th 07 05:50 PM
by Digital Dave Go to last post
13 542
How to move public folders (public pictures etc) to a different dr by Anson
How do you change the locations of the public folders. In my document, properties\location of "Documents" has a Move... button, but the location tab of the public folders does not.
January 13th 07 09:23 PM
by Anson Go to last post
0 187
Long Indexing Process after each logon by PUAV
Running Vista Enterprise on a Toshiba M7. The tablet is a member of our domain. Configured documents and pictures folder to relocate on server. Configured each for offline always available. Between the two folders, the number of files is roughly 10,000. After the initial sync (verified in the sync center) and index (verified in the index options), seemed to perform well; however, after...
January 16th 07 03:17 PM
by PUAV Go to last post
0 147
reapeated desktop file by John T
Hi, I am using Windows Vista RC1 64-bit edition. I am trying to move my personal files to where they are stored on a non-boot hard drive (I know that this can be done in XP) somewhere allong the line I really goofed up and so I decided to get things back the way they were. I have everything back now exept that the "Desktop" folder is reapeated (there are two of the same folder) and when I...
January 17th 07 12:06 PM
by John T Go to last post
0 178
Search Network Drive? by Scott Townsend
We store all of our personal Data on a Network Drive. I'd like the Search to Index that share and or Mapped Drive. My Show All Locations button in the Indexing Options Control Panel is Grayed out. I do not see a way to Add a Share or Mapped Drive. thanks, Scott-
January 21st 07 11:23 AM
by Michal Kawecki Go to last post
5 196
Can not delete old vista installation on other partion by Jakob Nielsen
When I was still running xp, but wanted to try out vista business, I installed it on an extra partion where I could play with it. Now I have changed entirely to vista and have it installed on my primary partion and want to delete the old copy on the data partion... problem is that I can't. When I go to delete the windows folder, it fails, telling me the files are write protected. When I try...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 21st 07 06:14 PM
by Walter Blanchard Go to last post
10 378
Vista Start Menu Options by Speedy
In Vista, StartAll Programs - I get no "sort by name" option. Also I have not seen an option yet for "highlight recently installed programs" as was available in XP. Other than that I think Vista is superb from what I have explored so far... ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,...
January 22nd 07 03:45 AM
by Dustin Harper Go to last post
4 210
Boycott Vista by x1a4
http://badvista.fsf.org/ “Vista is an upsell masquerading as an upgrade. It is an overall regression when you look at the most important aspect of owning and using a computer: your control over what it does. Obviously MS Windows is already proprietary and very restrictive, and *well worth rejecting*. But the new *'features' in Vista are a Trojan Horse* to smuggle in even more restrictions....
January 22nd 07 03:53 AM
by Jake Go to last post
5 240
HELP!!! by Jake
My computer yesterday on one partition showed aproximently 5 gigs free, so I deleted some stuff... now I had 9.9 or 10 gigs free. I log on this morning find 5 gigs free again. I deleted 5 more gigs. Now it says I have 21 free. WTF?! The only thing I installed was flashget. I just uninstalled it. Also onecare says that the firewall cant start and when I click get help it says I'm not...
January 22nd 07 04:51 PM
by Dustin Harper Go to last post
1 391
multiple file selection bug? by chall3ng3r
hi, i'm using vista ultimate. and i noticed this behaviour from day first. in some folders i'm able to select multiple files, and in some i can't. i searched and found other ppl having same problem. someone suggested to Reset Folder button under folder option will fix the prob. but it actually doesn't.
January 23rd 07 12:49 AM
by chall3ng3r Go to last post
0 213
Group By Type - The [username] Folder by ZenithPlacidity
for some reason, the group by option does not work for me in the Personal Folder, the folder that has your username, and contains folders like: Music, Pictures, Favorites etc. does anyone know how to fix this? this is a very nice feature, as it organizes all the files in the folder under groups.
January 24th 07 04:01 AM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
3 173
Change location of "Public" folder? by Boris
Hi, I would like to be able to change the location of everything contained in C:\Users\Public to, let's say, D:\Public Right-clicking, for example, the folder "Public Documents" in Explorer presents a "Location" tab that shows me where that folder is located, but does not give me an option to change that location (as it did with the user-level "Documents" folder).
January 25th 07 11:38 AM
by Boris Go to last post
0 185
List of Temporary Files by GeekUnit
Thought I'd create a list of where Vista stores its temporary files. So far I've got: C:\Users\SomeUser\AppData\Local\Temp C:\Users\SomeUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files C:\Windows\Temp Any other links appreciated! -- geekunit
January 25th 07 03:33 PM
by Confused Go to last post
2 198
Backup And Restore Centre, to a network drive by Mark Gillespie
Hi, I am trying to use RTM Backup Centre to backup files to a network drive (in a workgroup). However, for some reason it's not working. The only thing worth mentioning, is the server is a Samba server. I can access the folder I want using explorer, read, write, delete, create files and directories without any problem, however the backup centre insists on prompting for a ...
January 26th 07 09:41 PM
by Jaykul Go to last post
3 251
File Locations to Avoid Virtualization by Wayne Hartell
This has probably been asked before but I'm running out of time to get an answer and my initial search turned up empty. We have an application that runs as a stand alone application and also a hosted "module" of 3rd party applications. We have found just recently that one of our 3rd party host applications is certified on Vista and seeing our Stand Alone application works on Vista (after...
January 28th 07 12:30 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
6 205
The '..' folder?? by Jim Black
Is there any way to bring back the '..' folder in Windows Explorer? Having to drag the mouse halfway across my desk to hit the back button (which is not really what I wanted to do anyway) is becoming a real pain. Thanks, Jim
January 28th 07 04:08 PM
by R. C. White, MVP Go to last post
7 195
CD burning hangs by Peter Meinl
I tried to burn a CD with some mp3 files on a Plextor PX-760A SATA burner using Viste X86 RTM. Vista seems to format the CD OK. After dropping the files the green progess bar in the address bar progresses slower and slower. Even when I let it run for hours the burning does not complete. I tried using CD-R and CD-RW. The cancel dialog hangs. When I end it using task manager Vista Explorer...
January 29th 07 06:29 PM
by jimmuh Go to last post
6 174
Favorite Links pane in Windows Explorer by Thwackum
Is there a way to get rid of it? I know I can tuck the Folders bar away at the bottom, but what I want is exactly the opposite - Folders pane full-size and no Favorite Links. Any ideas?
January 30th 07 03:03 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
4 190
Can't select multiple files in the default Download folder by RyanTX
I am having the same problem with Vista build 6000. The OS installed with no problems, but then over the past two weeks it has become impossible to select multiple files. The "Select All" feature is disabled. The registry changes did not seem to work for me. Has anyone found a solution to restoring folders to the correct format? It seems like the "Apply to Folder" buttons are not...
February 1st 07 01:17 AM
by SirSycho Go to last post

From The