Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Where are Move To... & Copy To... shortcuts? by CadWizard
At my company, users are not allowed to drag and drop files and folders. I have to much to do and I don't have time to stop and look for a file someone dropped accidently and can't find anymore. In Win2000 and WinXP we had Move To.... and Copy To.... shortcuts on the toolbar. I cannot locate any way to change this new toolbar to add those shortcuts. I'm sorry, I have been trying for days to...
September 13th 07 05:33 PM
by Xenomorph Go to last post
8 194
Controlling 'type' of Windows Explorer by Baffin
The MS document at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/experiences/productivity.mspx talks about different 'types' of Window Explorer, eg., Music Explorer, Photo Explorer, Document Explorer. In essence, Windows Explorer shows different columns, etc depending (apparently) on the contents of ('type' of) a folder. How do I control what 'type' of explorer gets used...
September 13th 07 05:32 PM
by Xenomorph Go to last post
6 231
BIG, BIG MISTAKE!!! by avp144
how to undo "open with" action if you let checked "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" by mistake? I was trying to read a dll file with notepad !? but now I can't go back... Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 13th 07 05:31 PM
by Xenomorph Go to last post
11 285
How do I unassociate files? by Darryl Fulton
Need help on how to unassociate a file. I associated *.3gp with Rhapsody. I think it would be better not associated at all. Even though I have Roxio, I want all *.3gp files to have no program association...period. What do I do...?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 13th 07 05:19 PM
by Xenomorph Go to last post
12 793
VISTA: Numerous Problems by radioman
Hello, My son got me a new Acer notebook PC, model #ZR1 last week. It has the new Vista operating system equipted on it and it is giving me some troubles. They would seem to be minor to some, but after having XP ust the troublefree way I like it. they are a big deal to me. I've called Acer a couple times and each time they had had me restore the system to factory specs which just got me...
September 13th 07 02:40 AM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 166
how can find chinese in windows vista? by wendy
how can find chinese word and typing at windows vista?
September 12th 07 09:28 PM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
1 162
"unspecified error during System Restore" - Vista Operating Syste by FrankM
My problem is with the System Restore. When I clicked on a shortcut to System Restore I got: "The ordinal 2 could not be located in the dynamic link library SRRSTR.DLL". However, when I used another method to run System Restore, I found it appears to have created restore points without incident, as numerous Restore Points are present. BUT when I selected a Restore Point, even the oldest...
September 12th 07 06:08 PM
by Christine [MSFT] Go to last post
2 191
Can't shrink active partition in vista by Bruce Wayne
hi, I cant seem to shrink my active partiton in vista: Size of available shrink space in MB is set to 0 (was 700 or so before my last defrag) any ideas? cheers, bruce
September 12th 07 06:02 PM
by dennis@home Go to last post
9 174
I can't make new folders anymore in Vista! It's gone! by nLinked
When you right click on a blank space in a folder window and point to New, and then click on Folder to create a new folder in Vista, it will put a new folder in that window so you can put your files in it. But suddenly on mine, there's no "Folder" listed in the New menu! I can make a new shortcut and other files, but Folder is gone. I don't know how to bring it back! This happens in every...
September 12th 07 11:27 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
6 159
Cannot find temporary internet files in Vista by Chuckuma
I have Vista Premium Home Edition. I have tried everything, from unhiding the files, to reading all these posts with suggestions, and nothing has worked. I visited a website before in Windows XP, and those files are all in my temp internet file folder. I cannot locate them in Vista. Please will someone help me. I have heard the files are hidden in several locations, but I have been unable...
September 12th 07 06:54 AM
by Chuckuma Go to last post
7 185
Trouble Back up & Restore in Vista? by [email protected]
Perhaps I don't understand the real steps in how the backup works, but my customer is questioning why his backup isn't working?! He has an external hard drive attached to his VISTA machine, and he runs the backup software but it doesn't show us the results on the external. It all appears to look the same after it's complete. We tested it by selecting "pictures" as a choice and it does it...
September 12th 07 05:28 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
2 152
EFS & backups... by mike
hi, i've read that Vista's backup does NOT back up EFS encrypted files... is there a good 3rd party backup utility which does, or is this inherent with EFS ??? can i assume that Vista's Complete PC Backup (image) utility does backup EFS files & that they can be restored ??? thanks,
September 12th 07 12:59 AM
by Eduardo Laureano [MSFT] Go to last post
1 162
Can't find downloaded file by Annie
I cannot 'find' a file after downloading from the internet. ????? I downloaded PSP X and at first it wouldn't let me download to my C: drive...what's up with that? (that's a totally different question that I'd love an answer to) So I downloaded PSP to the folder that was named my name, Anne. I cannot find this file, but can find the folder, altho when I went to download again (thinking...
September 12th 07 12:48 AM
by Annie Go to last post
5 167
Photo Gallery Date/Time Format by jeff
Is there a way to change the Time format to include seconds/sub seconds for sorting? Curently it appears the sort by date function only will sort Date/Hour/Minutes. The minute/second/sub second resolution is necessary for sorting groups of images taken with a fast frame camera.
September 11th 07 10:18 PM
by jeff Go to last post
0 215
Deleted folder re-appears by Nicholas J
I have an empty folder on my desktop which I delete, but it keeps re-appearing a few minutes later, even when deleted from the recycle bin. Any ideas?
September 11th 07 09:14 PM
by Brian Go to last post
5 170
searching for "[B" within text file by Kaypee
Have text files within indexed folder. Files are .txt When I search for "[B" I hope to get list of files that contain "[B" somewhere within text. Of which there are 150 or so. I don't!!! I get 1 file - which does nor contain "[B". It is usually the last file within folder that was modified. Is [ a search symbol or something because searching for it on its own does really weird...
September 11th 07 07:10 PM
by Donald Lessau Go to last post
1 157
copying a file creates the wrong file ! by Vincent[_3_]
Hello, I have noticed a very weired behaviour from my Windows Vista Ultimate version 6.0.6000 file system. A few days ago, I have installed the OpenVPN client, which installs in C:\Program files\OpenVPN. After the installation is done, there is an empty "C:\Program files\OpenVPN\Config" directory, into which one should put some configation files (These files are read by the OpenVPN program...
September 11th 07 05:41 PM
by Vincent[_3_] Go to last post
2 145
CDF-MS files stuck in C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\Pending Renames by TM
Hi - I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. I have a group of six CDF-MS files stuck in C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp \Pending Renames. Can anyone advise as to how I can get rid of them? I don't seem to be able to change permissions to be able to get at them. I've tried deleting them in Safe Mode, even tried turning off the UAC, but nothing works. If it helps, these are the files in...
September 11th 07 05:00 PM
by TM Go to last post
0 178
Program Files Disappeared! by jay
Today I right clicked on my Program Files folder (under the C: drive) and selected "properties." I then clicked show hidden files and clicked apply. Now my whole Program Files folder has disappeared from its original location and I have no clue where it went. I also now cannot play one of my favorite online games, "counter-strike". I dont know if that has anything to do with this, but its...
September 11th 07 02:10 AM
by jay Go to last post
2 174
returning to a search by barglen
When search finds folders (eg Temp) and you double click the folder in the search results, the folder is opened and the contents displayed. This is as it should be. However, if you then want to return to the search results (eg to perhaps identify another folder found in the search and open it up) rather than just go straight back to the list of results the search is re-processed. This can be...
September 10th 07 10:56 PM
by barglen Go to last post

From The