Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Missing new folder in context menu by cba
I am using Windows Vista Home Premium In Windows Explorer and Computer, using right mouse click to create a new folder, the "New Folder" item has been replaced with "New Briefcase" in the context menu. I feel sure that I have caused this but am unable to find how to rectify. I am now unable to create a new folder in Windows Explorer.
August 29th 07 03:24 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 690
How to recover My Picture File in Vista by ShaunAnthony
Somehow when I was deleting a folder in my pictures, it deleted the entire my pictures folder. I can't even access the my picture folder. how do I recover this? and why did this happen? PLEASE HELP!!!!!
August 29th 07 01:54 AM
by STEPHANIEFOUR15 Go to last post
4 182
Vista File Encryption by LoneStar[_2_]
This may have been answered, sorry, but I'm new here. Question: how do I encrypt a file in Vista -- within Windows Explorer. I wish to encrypt an Excel file and several other .doc files. I went to the file's Properties/General/Advanced tab areas, and found that the encryption option was grayed out. I could compress, but not encrypt. My Vista is the Home Premium version. What am I missing!!!?...
August 28th 07 10:00 PM
by LoneStar[_2_] Go to last post
2 160
Replication or Backup by Kevin A
I have my accounting file sitting on my local machine. I want to be able to push it out onto a network drive from time to time to make sure I have a backup copy. Ideally, I'd like to do this every night. The backup routine doesn't let me specify just one file to backup nightly. Can anyone suggest another method to make sure this gets put on a network drive every night? I wrote a script...
August 28th 07 07:54 PM
by Fred B.[_3_] Go to last post
3 188
Problem restoring EFS key by Mathieu CHATEAU
Hello, How to add an EFS recovery agent in Windows XP Professional http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887414/en-us Step 2: Import recovery certificates and the private key 1. Log on to the computer as the administrator. 2. Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK. 3. In the Group Policy Object Editor, expand the following nodes: Local Computer Policy
August 28th 07 05:36 AM
by Pentium Go to last post
2 181
"Documents" folder getting crowded by Mark[_6_]
Hi all - I like the way Vista keeps user specific settings in a easily accessible folder - but this folder is getting crowded quickly. Is there anyway I can easily filter this view without going to the extreme of making the folders I don''t need that often "hidden"
August 28th 07 04:18 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
4 223
Copy Tooo Long by Veldmuis
Hi I want to copy or move file from a CD to my hard drive , it took 59 Minutes for 432MB , how can I do it faster. I use Vista Ultimate ! Thanks Eugene Ps. Any new software for it or a fix ?
August 28th 07 02:16 AM
by tim Go to last post
3 166
Search for file type takes hours, & finds files on wrong drive. by chrispy
I wanted to find the Outlook .pst files on my C drive. I set the advanced options.. .. Search for *.pst (also tried .pst) .. Location: Local Disk (C:) .. Include non-indexed, hidden & system files. In the first 1 second the search returns 7 .pst files from the Recycle bin of my M drive!!! WHY?? Then the search goes on & on & on for hours.. after a further 2 hours it still had not found any...
August 27th 07 10:57 PM
by Dave Go to last post
4 164
Missing System File by Polska
Hi, so lately my computer has been restarting endlessly, and i don't know why. because of the fact that it was ****ing me off beyond belief i was trying to find the system restore file and restore my computer in hopes that it would work. But i couldn't find it. i scanned my computer for every file using search, and i even found the system restore "file" from one of the control panels system...
August 27th 07 04:32 PM
by FrankM Go to last post
4 200
How to find folders by date? by SLaubner
How do I search for folders created after (eg.) 01 Aug. 2007?
August 27th 07 11:40 AM
by SLaubner Go to last post
4 152
Deleting shortcut Icon Labels by trackstar2027
How can you delete the shortcut icon labels?
August 27th 07 08:56 AM
by brink[_627_] Go to last post
1 142
Lost files when copy from USB pen by Eager
Using Vista ultimate (x86) and tries to copy approx 700 MB from USB pen (Corsair Flash Voyager GT 8 GB) connected directly to USB port in the Vista. First time I copied to a network mapped disk on a WS 2003 enterprise (x64), most of the files were not copied (but no error message). Next time I tried to copy to a local disk on the Vista machine, this was a little better, but still lost a...
August 27th 07 06:01 AM
by Greg Go to last post
1 158
Indexing ASP files by Lothan
I have several hundred *.asp files in my documents folder that I want to be able to search, but Vista is indexing only the HTML content of these files. This doesn't really do much good since I need to search the actual code content within these files. Does anyone know how to override the default filter associated with *.asp files so that it indexes the entire file instead of just the HTML...
August 27th 07 01:53 AM
by Lothan Go to last post
0 142
Moving location of documents by barryv
I was trying to move my documents to a different drive and I accidently changed the name under C:\Users\Barry to C:\Users\Downloads. My Documents are showing up twice under my username Barry\Documents and also in my Barry\Downloads\Documents. If I delete a file out of either it is deleted out of the actual folder C:\Users\Downloads. How can I restore this back to how it was origionally? ...
August 26th 07 12:42 AM
by barryv Go to last post
2 194
why does my hard drives show 332 gigs used when there is only 67.3 by jonny
i have recently reinstalled vista due to faults and issues and may have to do it again. My hard drives are 500gig mirrored raid and when in c drive it appears that 332 gigs have been used which appeared odd as its a new reinstall i have higlighted the files in c: and found that there is only 67.3 gigs worth off files on the drive. I dont think this is normall but any suggestions would be...
August 25th 07 07:07 PM
by John Rushton Go to last post
3 200
viewing .exe (application) files by Samantha
Just got a new Vista Business laptop with McAfee for security. I have been downloading my additional software from the microsoft site. Problem is despite seeing the download complete, following the path perfectly and repeating these steps multiple times, I am unable to "see" the .exe files which are labled application files. I know the files are there because I can view them via the...
August 25th 07 05:35 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 141
Application Cannot Save Files in Vista by Larry Stinson
I have an application that needs to save some of its data in a file. The application is installed into the c:\Program Files\Commission Calculator folder. The application wants to store its data in that same folder. With all previous versions of Windows this worked fine, but with Vista it causes a "Can't Save" error (80030103). The file extension is .adtg, but I suspect it's the folder and/or...
August 24th 07 08:10 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
8 297
Explorer Multiple Selection by Nigel Molesworth
I've recently noticed that multiple selection in Windows Explorer doesn't work as it did under XP. I've got the "tick selected items" option on. I can't use shift+click to select a range - it just selects the clicked on item as well as the first. Have I missed something? -- Nigel M
August 24th 07 02:28 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 163
Problems searching for target text by Paul
I'm having trouble with Search and don't know what I'm doing wrong. Say I want to search for a file 1recycler.txt but I don't really know the full name but just know the part of it such as 'recycler'. Why can't it find everything with that word in it? Better yet, if it can, how do I do this search? I've tried Advanced Search with some different parameters but no luck. XP can find the file...
August 24th 07 09:57 AM
by P. Di Stolfo Go to last post
2 163
Cannot search by file name by Jed
I am trying to find where an application is putting a file. I know indexed searches are great, but I always get either no files or many totally unrelated files. To see what is going on, I go to DOCUMENTS under my user name and copy the name of a .pdf document. I go to search and paste that name in the search field. Searching indexed or all files, I never find that file. pdf files are...
August 24th 07 03:22 AM
by magic Go to last post

From The