Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Opening more than 15 files in Windows Explorer by stevenkarp
When I select more than 15 files in Windows Explorer and right click, my options are reduced. For example, if I select 15 MS Word files and right click, on the menu I have "open", "new" and "edit". But these options are gone if I select 16 or more files. Similarly for other files. e.g. If I select more than 15 MP3 files I can open them only in Windows Media Player and not my default player....
August 24th 07 02:02 AM
by stevenkarp Go to last post
0 199
How do I organize the Start Menu?? by Susan
I have searched all of the Vista discussion for Start menu and none of the suggestions have helped. I am the Admin, I have all hidden files and folders showing, AND I went to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu as everyone said to. The only thing there is an empty folder named MSN Encarta. Yes, I double checked to make sure show all hidden files and folders is still on. I am not...
August 23rd 07 11:56 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
8 222
i want Windows Explorer to open in user folder not Start Menu fold by archiek
Whenever i open Windows Explorer by right clicking on start, it opens in the "Start Menu". This is buried deep in the Appdata so I have to scrollup, close AppData, click on my user name to get to where I can see the user files in the folder window. How do I get Explorer to open in my user name instead of the Start Menu?
August 23rd 07 11:42 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
4 212
Help! by cebaxter
Hi, My accountant sent me a current working file for me via email. I did alot of work on the file, which I opened via the email as an attachement, and saved it. I now cannot find the file. SOmeone said I should have saved the attachemnt first and then worked on it, but I didnt realise this. please help!
August 23rd 07 04:27 PM
by Ken Blake Go to last post
2 321
Indexing PDF Files on Vista by Puppy Breath
In Ultimate they're selected for indexing by default. I would assume they're also selected in Business edition. Just make sure to put them in an indexed location. It takes a while to index brand new files. And it only indexes during idle time. So don't expect immediate search index gratification right after downloading or creating a pdf file. If you want to check the file types and indexed...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 23rd 07 04:19 PM
by Flatus Ohlfahrt Go to last post
22 561
Recycle Bin Icon Won't Change by Jeff Balla
I'm using Windows Vista Basic, I believe. For a couple weeks now, when I put an item or two into the Recycle Bin, the icon isn't changing from empty to full, or at least having some of those crumpled-up paper balls in it. Sometimes it shows the full-of-paper icon, even when it has no files in it. Anyone know how to fix this? It's empty, but I know I put files in it recently. And if it...
August 23rd 07 03:25 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
7 233
Extended Tiles View by Perry Diels
Hello, In sync Center the default view is "Extended Tiles" which includes a sync progress bar. On my system all of a sudden, without any apparent reason, it dissappeared. The menu item in view is replaced by the standard "Tiles". Any idea how to restore the "Extended Tiles" view? Thanks for your help, Perry
August 23rd 07 10:08 AM
by P. Di Stolfo Go to last post
1 211
Copying files to Program Files directory by Parrot
I am trying to transfer my files from my old computer to my new computer with the Vista operating system. However whenever I try to transfer files from the Program Files directory of my old computer to the new one I get an Access denied error. I have set the Program Files directory to be share on both the new and old computer and I removed the Read Only option from the directory on both...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 23rd 07 06:14 AM
by occam Go to last post
13 361
Offline files Errors by Or Tsemah
Hi, I'm getting a whole bunch of weird behavior by vista with the Offline files option 1. First of all, the green "Wheel" that recognize Files&Folder as Offline disappear from time to time, why is that ? 2. I can't search the offline folders for content(Vista seems to index them but with no appearant results, Although, using Adv. Searching works with the Non-Indexed Location)
August 23rd 07 03:20 AM
by Brent Go to last post
2 153
Start menues by Alisa
I moved my pictures and music into Disk D, how do I change my Pictures/Music in the start menu to take me to Disk D instead of Disk C? Changing properties doesn't work
August 23rd 07 03:13 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
3 198
Start menu picture, music links not mapping to external hard drive by AD33
Moved pictures and music to an external hard drive and things were going fine. Then operated pc for a period of time disconnected from the xHD, during which time the Start Menu right collumn links to pictures and music also seem to have lost their targets. When I right-click and select properties, only a very basic menu appears which neither allows me to restore defaults or choose a target...
August 23rd 07 03:13 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
4 211
All User Folders Duplicated inside one of the User Folders by Mike[_2_]
While moving files off one hard drive to the new Windows Ultimate install, somehow I have managed to duplicate all the folders under my user account (Michael) within the Pictures Folder. I also have second Pictures folder (plain looking yellow icon) that has just my pictures. I want to get the duplicates out of the Pictures Folder (i.e., Desktop or Documents, etc) so they only show up once...
August 22nd 07 07:22 PM
by Greg Lang Go to last post
6 176
Group files/folders by individual name not A-H I-P ect. by Tim
With XP I can group by name and sort by name, which grouped files/folders into individual groups beginning with A..B..C etc, since moving to Vista it is now grouping A-H I-P and Q-Z. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD IT DO THIS BY DEFAULT? I've got over 2000 files and folders in a folder and half of them are all grouped together. Is there a way to change this to group by individual letters rather...
August 22nd 07 06:55 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
5 220
File indexing in Vista by Victor
The Search toolbar in the new vista startup menu will search all files in the Personal folder, and the file index can be modified to include any other folders on the local hard drive, but it doesnt seem possible to index a network drive. Each user at my company has a network drive that they are directed to save all their files on, I cant believe ours would be the only compnay to do that. Is...
August 22nd 07 02:08 PM
by Brent Go to last post
4 228
Automatic Photo Renaming by [email protected]
Hey Everyone! I was hoping you could help me out with a problem. When I am downloading my camera's Compact Flash card onto the computer the wizard prompts me for a file name. When I give it a file name, and all the dust settles, my files are now "Folder Name 01, Folder Name 02...." So on, and so forth. Is there any way to allow the files to keep the name that my camera assigns them when they...
August 22nd 07 09:36 AM
by Riccardo Go to last post
1 172
Arranging numbers as filenames by Soul Man
Couldn't find in a search... Have some folders where I save files using numbers as filenames, as an example I save my electronic check images. Windows won't sort them numerically, ie: it will go 100, 1550, 205 etc. instead of 100, 250, 1550. It sorts them as if the numbers are letters, rather than numerically. How can I change this?!?!? It really makes it hard to look for files (ie. did I...
August 22nd 07 01:36 AM
by Soul Man[_2_] Go to last post
5 188
VDS Crashes by Michael Tissington
When I to to got Disk Management I get an error that VDS has crashed... Any ideas please ?
August 21st 07 08:05 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 247
dissapearing files by Bridgette
Hello, I have Windows Vista and need some help. I was recently organizing my pictures when a bunch of random ones went missing. Here's what I did: -Highlighted group of jpeg photos. -Renamed entire grouping by right clicking on one of highlighted group. -All the names where changed with the addition of (#) beside new file name to identify each image. -I right clicked again and hit "undo...
August 21st 07 06:48 PM
by b Go to last post
4 273
Browse button not working with any application by Danhilderman
Any application, including windows built-in apps, that uses a "Browse" button is not working. When i click browse or find buttons, nothing happens. I should be seeing the box that lets me search through the hard drive directories. I can't open files in audio editors, etc. When i try to change program associations with "open with", the browse button does not respond. Any suggestions?
August 20th 07 10:52 PM
by Danhilderman Go to last post
0 732
utc files not visible to windows by Sean
I make modules for a game called Neverwinter Nights. A file that can be exported is related to a specific internal model. When I export this model it creates a .utc file. Now here is the problem. Windows refuses to let me see this file. I can go into the program and see that I exported it. I can open software by a third party (like file compression) and see the file, but when I try to...
August 20th 07 07:49 PM
by John Go to last post

From The