Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Date of eml file changed by Martin Weber
Hello, i have a network with 5 pcs, one with win xp, the others with vista. On the xp there are some *.eml files. When i mark such a file with one of the vista pcs the date of the file is changed, without doing anything. how can that be? The problem is that we backup all files which are changed, so the old eml files are copied again and again and that costs a lot of time.
August 20th 07 01:46 PM
by Martin Weber Go to last post
2 225
Automatic Backup to HD by super1
I have a 2nd hard drive in my vista enterprise system. The automatic backup works great but it will fill the hard drive and then fail from then on. I have to delete everything on the drive and then start over with a full backup. Is there no way to give up some of the oldest changes? FIFO? Do they expect a backup to a new DVD everyday or what? How would this work for a user other than...
August 20th 07 05:57 AM
by Ken Zhao [MSFT] Go to last post
4 191
Files, pics, downloads save to folders by amenx
In XP, downloads would go to my designated downloads folder, web pages to My Docs folder, pics to My pictures. In Vista this is erratic, everything seems to go to the last saveed directory regardless of file type or category. Vista is slowing me down by having to browse to each directory I prefer my saves to go in, and they're not always showing on my most recently used folders and dont want...
August 20th 07 03:42 AM
by amenx Go to last post
0 201
MOTOROLA RAZR HELP by Lewie275
i have just recieved a moto razr and when i hook it up to the computer, it doesnt do anything and i cant find it on the computer. it doesnt show up on the folder "computer" even. I NEED HELP! -- LEWIE
August 19th 07 08:10 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
4 259
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by Julian
I understand the basic principle of not wanting programs to run unchecked. My problem is that I cannot even download certain programs, let alone install and then run them. I have a Cruzer thumb drive that prompted me that a Vista update was availabel, but when I clicked on the install link, I got a download dialogue box stating that it appears that I do not have administrative rights, so I...
August 19th 07 07:53 PM
by AJR Go to last post
1 199
Text Search in Vista by outtolunch
I'm not sure if I'm just dense but in XP under Advanced Search it was easy to search documents for text even if you didn't know the documents name. You could type in *.* or *.doc and then do a search for specific word or text. I am unable to see how this is done in Vista. Can someone point to the solution?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 19th 07 06:48 PM
by Dave Wood [MS] Go to last post
12 491
folder and search options by Serge
I wanted to change the folder options in the window explorer. Went to the folder options, then to View and unchecked the option "Hide protected operating system files". A huge amount of files and folders appeared. For example, in the folder Documents, which was empty before the change, received 3 folders(my music, my pictures, my videos)and 1 file (desktop.ini). The problem is that I can't...
August 19th 07 06:17 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
5 202
photos locked by vampirelover
I recently had to reinstall my operating system( vista home premium). I had all my files backed up onto an external hard drive. I have got them back on my C drive but some of my photos will not open. They are locked and a message tells me to use the properties command in IE to unlock them. I played around for three hours and thought I was getting somewhere changing permissions, but I don't...
August 19th 07 05:20 PM
by vampirelover Go to last post
0 171
Transfer password protected folder from old hard drive... by achirodoc
I had to install a new hard drive in my laptop. I am able to transfer everything off the old one via an external usb connection. However, I cannot access or transfer my password protected folder. I tried setting a password for Windows on my new hard drive hoping that would allow access (used the same password), but that did not work. Is there a way to transfer this password protected...
August 19th 07 09:00 AM
by Malke Go to last post
7 187
Recovery Drive Help! by daysgoby
Sorry the title is in all caps, obnoxious but I'm in kind of a tiffy. I'm really annoyed at having extra folders lying around so I delete them. To be specific, the favorites folder under the C drive. It annoys me to NO END that it's there and that I can never completely get rid of it. So I was playing around with it and I decided to move it to the Recovery (D:\) drive. REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA....
August 19th 07 03:29 AM
by daysgoby Go to last post
0 169
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by bettyboop
-- bettyboopsblue "Jimmy Brush" wrote: Hello, I've noticed that a lot of the questions in these newsgroups are either directly or indirectly related to UAC (User Account Control). In this post,
August 18th 07 09:54 PM
by Spirit Go to last post
1 168
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by bettyboop
I HAVEN'Tdone one thing to my program just installed it and here I am listening to you.I have been access denied and parameter wrong so many times today ,last night and yesterday.Everyone thinks they can help and I have tried everyones suggestions to NO avail.So YOU tell me when you can't change from one person back into the administrator because it only exists inside the UAC and there are...
August 18th 07 09:50 PM
by bettyboop Go to last post
0 175
reseting folders view types by cancakmak
i use different view options in much folders , for example i use list view in music , thumbnail in pictures , or any others with different folders. When i restart windows , it is going back to default mode. How can i fix this ? -- cancakmak
August 18th 07 08:08 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 165
Cannot Delete 4 corrupted Jepg files by DANITOID
I cant open them, overwite them or delete them. They could be written on a bad section of my hard disc. I got to get them deleted or at least quarranteened so i can at least do backups of my hard drive. Right now my computer cannot do sucessful backups and bombs-out halfway throught the backup and returns a cyclic redundency check Error code of 0x80070017. I strongly think it is because...
August 18th 07 06:25 PM
by Dave Go to last post
1 192
Can't del pics from desktop by doug
I have been trying to help my 80 y/o mother to see pictures that I sent her on a CD. I asked her to create a desktop folder, and to copy/paste the pics there. She accidentally pasted them to the desktop. Three times she has deleted the pics from the desktop, but each time she restarts her computer, there they are. What's happening, and how can she get rid of the pics on the desktop?
August 18th 07 04:48 PM
by brink[_448_] Go to last post
1 149
Multiple users and online by Mystified One
I had my computer set up with cable internet yesterday, and while my account is capable of being online, my husband's account is not. How do I fix it so that he can go online without using my account?
August 18th 07 11:51 AM
by Mystified One Go to last post
0 176
XP Permissions manager and security? by Gareth[_2_]
I posted a while ago about a problem I was having accessing XP "home folders" from Vista in a dual boot system. I was told that there was no way of disabling simple file sharing in XP Home and that this was the root of my problem (no pun intended). How true the advice was - none of the hacks and workarounds allowed me to access the home folders from Vista (neither starting in safe mode or...
August 17th 07 05:23 PM
by Gareth[_2_] Go to last post
0 170
File indexing not working by joanie7
The message I get every now & then is index fileing not working, ususally when I start up the computer. I found the box with the title index filing but there are no options to check eg modify or other choices, the box is blank. How do I fix this short of restoring the computer? Thanks -- joanie7
August 17th 07 01:00 PM
by brink[_426_] Go to last post
5 203
search for words or phrases in vista by mabola2
how do i search for words or phrases in vista, which was possible in xp. is it possible to change the search function to classic view, which would allow for the option of searching for words or phrases?
August 17th 07 12:56 PM
by brink[_425_] Go to last post
1 180
Search stopped working? by Jerry
As of a few days ago, I get the following Event Viewer (Id. 3100) message every few minutes: Source: Search, Task: Gatherer Unable to initialize the filter host process. Terminating. Details: This operation returned because the timeout period expired. (0x800705b4) Anyone knows what is happening?
August 17th 07 12:16 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post

From The