Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Need administrator access to modify files I created myself by Daniel Noll
Hi all... Something has been bugging me about Vista lately. I'll create a file just from a normal app, i.e. not in "Run as administrator" mode, and then later decide to rename it, but it says I need administrator privileges to modify the file. Security tab for the file and the directory it's in says full control for SYSTEM, Administrators, and my own username, so I don't see why I should
August 17th 07 05:51 AM
by Daniel Noll Go to last post
5 319
Windows Search Won't Start by Nevet
I can't get Search running. Attempting to manually start the service yields this Search error message: "Windows could not start the Windows Search on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code -2147218141." Any ideas?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 17th 07 02:20 AM
by Brad Go to last post
17 357
Downloaded files excluded from index by Tom Edwards
Sometimes a downloaded file will have its "Index this file for faster searching" option disabled, with obvious results. Presumably the option was set by the server, or whoever created the file. How can I stop it from happening? Is there a way to force files to be indexable?
August 17th 07 02:01 AM
by brink[_417_] Go to last post
3 247
File Extension by Apito
I want to delete a file extension association w/a program. In XP one had the option to delete it, in Vista does not give you a choice and I cannot do it. Any tricks or way to delete the extension?
August 16th 07 10:30 PM
by Apito Go to last post
2 235
Removing RootKits by cyranodesade
All, I hope this is a simple question does Formatting a Hard Drive and then FDisk /MBR remove any rootkits or hidden files on a hard drive?? If the answer is no then could you please point me to a good resource for formatting the boot sector/MBR? Thanks in advance. - CES
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 16th 07 08:12 PM
by Alun Harford Go to last post
15 331
Selecting multiple files/folders by spike96
Vista doesnt seem to allow me to select multiple files or folders by holding ctrl or shift key. Other versions do. there are even times where the "Select ALL" choice is not an option. can anyone tell me how to fix???
August 16th 07 03:00 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
4 185
problem deleting reposotory folder by spartaninpr
Hi all.I'm having problems running an antivirus program and the manufacter sent me the steps to uninstall and reinstall my av program.One of the steps call for me to delete my repository folder prior to reinstallation.When I try to delete the folder Vista tells me the "action can't be completed because the folder is open in another program."It tells me to close the folder and try again.Since...
August 15th 07 11:44 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
1 184
Overwrite like XP with less confirmation dialogs? by Bob
The number one annoyance to me in Vista is the number of confirmation dialogs presented doing a simple folder paste overwrite. In XP yes to all handled it in one click but in Vista seems to be confirmations for both files and every subfolder :( No way to having it the old way (1 click does it all) in Vista?
August 15th 07 11:17 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 170
Vista Sync False Advertising by CW3RET
After the fourth crash of my laptop of 5-years I upgraded to a new one which came with Vista Home Premium. I ALWAYS used PCAnyWhere to sync my laptop with my desktop. It's a piece of cake to do so with PCAnyWhere. Unfortunately I would have to upgrade to a newer version of PCAnyWhere for it to work with Vista. After reading all the MS hoopla about the capabilities of the new SYNC feature, I...
August 15th 07 10:22 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 209
File title author info in Windows Explorer by [email protected]
Many thanks to Richard Urban and dean-dean for your solution to my problem. However, I must have missed something obvious: the solution does not seem working for me. Since I got a new machine, the Adobe Reader is version 8.1.0. But the title and author column are still empty in Windows Explorer for a PDF file with title and author information provided. If I right click the PDF file name and go...
August 15th 07 10:02 PM
by huan Go to last post
4 236
Device Not Ready error 0x80070015 by CLK Group
Hello, I'm attempting to restore files from my external hard drive to my C drive using Vista Home Premium, Backup Status and Configuration Restore Files (Advanced). The process starts and I can see the files being restored, but after about 15 seconds the process stops and I receive the following error message: The Device Is Not Ready 0x80070015 Any suggestions?
August 15th 07 03:44 PM
by CLK Group Go to last post
0 457
Finding and Organizing Files by Standard File Folder Icon
Hi, Does anyone know how I can rotate the standard yellow file folder icon in Vista? Ideally, I would like to make the Windows XP standard yellow file folder the standard file folder in Vista? I would like the standard file folder icon in XP because the folder is sitting straight up as opposed to laying on its side. It also allows me to have the 4 picuture thumbnail view on top of the...
August 15th 07 02:30 PM
by Standard File Folder Icon Go to last post
0 163
Can I Remove the Listings in the NEW Right-Click Context Menu? by J. Danniel
Hello, I'm using Vista Home Premium. I was wondering if there is currently a way to remove all of the listings in the NEW right-click context menu, except for FOLDER. (For example, I have 19 listings, excluding FOLDER, with Briefcase being the last one.) If there is a way, what is the procedure? Does it require editing registry keys? That's no problem, as long as I know which keys to
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 15th 07 06:13 AM
by Tom Keller Go to last post
13 311
Extract list of sub-folders in a folder by Ken Meek
I'd like to be able to get a list of all the folders contained in another folder into another program, say Excel. I found an Excel macro that will list all the files in a given folder, but it does not list the folders in that folder. Alternatively, a print-out of the folders would be better than nothing, although I'm looking for something better than screen shots, for which I'll need...
August 14th 07 08:22 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
6 274
Ghost 12.0 Restore Problem by OhNoMrBill
My Windows XP Media Edition operating system was corrupted. Before reinstalling the new operating system I baked up my data files to 2 external hard drives, a Seagate drive connected by USB and a Maxtor drive connected by Firewire. The backup was done with Norton Ghost 12.0. I reinstalled the operating system and the Ghost 12.0 software. Unfortunately, Ghost will not restore the data claiming...
August 14th 07 06:05 PM
by OhNoMrBill Go to last post
0 186
Standard users can't add UNC paths to search? by Jeff Vandervoort
I've installed the UNCFAT add-on to Desktop Search on my Vista Ultimate computer so I can index folders on a server. With UNCFAT in Win XP, I could click "Advanced" in the Indexing Options dialog and add a UNC path to the index. In Vista, admin permissions are required to click the "Advanced" button, so, without using elevated permissions, I can't add the UNC path. Moreover, since indexes...
August 14th 07 04:08 PM
by Jeff Vandervoort Go to last post
0 206
allowing a blocked file in startup by Ace
I have Windows Vista Ultimate. I also have a Mirra Personal Server that has failed to connect ever since upgrading to Vista from XP Pro. Windows Defender keeps blocking Mirra but I also cannot unblock it. How can I get it allowed to start? I tried turning off the firewall but it still cannot connect. How can I get Mirra running again?
August 14th 07 11:38 AM
by namidos Go to last post
1 215
Help: How to turn off a really annoying Explorer "Feature" by Speedy
Hello Forgive me if this has been asked before but I could not find a good answer anywhere... Explorer chooses the columns that display in Explorer in Details view I guess based on it's own assessment of what will be relevant... so for example when you view a directory with MP3s in it, Explorer shows ID3 tags as columns. I HATE THIS FEATURE!!! I just want to see the standard columns......
August 14th 07 11:34 AM
by namidos Go to last post
6 189
.txt file questions by shakchau1
1. is there a way to determine the history of a given .txt file (how was it created, what application, when, was it changed or converted to something over time, etc.) for example, whether the file was created from a MS word, NotePad, WordPad, etc etc, whether the format was changed?? 2. determine the log history of a file's timelines (e.g., for a given file, there's a time stamp that shows...
August 14th 07 08:07 AM
by vanilla Go to last post
1 207
search by file type....and other ways I could search in XP by MBW
In XP, I could perform a search for a specific file type, like .doc for Word documents. Can I do this in Vista?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 14th 07 07:48 AM
by vanilla Go to last post

From The