Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Does Vista use a file system when burning CD's that XP can't read? by 98 Guy
If files are copied (drag'n'dropped) to a CD-R while using Vista, are those files accessible if the CD is put into an XP machine? I've heard of some first-hand accounts where this seems to be the case. Does Vista use a file system on burned CD's or DVD's that XP can't read? If so, does Micro$oft provide a driver for XP to be able to read them?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 15th 09 11:02 PM
by Adam A. Wanderer Go to last post
26 965
how to fix FFlags for all folder? by 9al3a
like many people, i didn't like the auto arrange by "list view" in vista explorer but fortunately i can turn it off by "FFlags" with "00080000" value (thanks to Keith Miller) but i can't make it defaults for newly created folders, i tried the "apply to folders" but with no luck also i tried the "AllFolders" under "bags" with FFlags set to 00080000
March 20th 08 02:41 AM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
3 369
Indexing Network locations not available by @rturo
Why Microsoft is not supporting to index network locations like in Desktop Search. In Vista you can only index those locations if you set it to "Always Available Offline" because Vista Search is by default indexing the offline files. But what if I dont want to have a copy of those files in my hard drive, just the fast searching capabilities for those network locations. Desktop Search 2 has...
September 30th 06 06:06 PM
by @rturo Go to last post
0 598
searching network locations by @rturo
Why searching network locations feature in windows vista is not present. Desktop Search has this great feature. Is there an special package that Microsoft is going to release later for the enterprise? This option is only available if set the folder to be syncronized to my computer, but somtimes you don't want to mantain a copy in your computer, you just want to index that location for fast...
October 26th 06 08:41 PM
by @rturo Go to last post
0 624
Indexing network locations in Vista by @rturo
Why Microsoft is not supporting to index network locations like in Desktop Search. In Vista you can only index those locations if you set it to "Always Available Offline" because Vista Search is by default indexing the offline files. But what if I dont want to have a copy of those files in my hard drive, just the fast searching capabilities for those network locations. Desktop Search 2 has...
September 30th 06 06:09 PM
by @rturo Go to last post
0 547
Indexing network locations in vista by @rturo
Why Microsoft is not supporting to index network locations like in Desktop Search. In Vista you can only index those locations if you set it to "Always Available Offline" because Vista Search is by default indexing the offline files. But what if I dont want to have a copy of those files in my hard drive, just the fast searching capabilities for those network locations. Desktop Search 2 has...
September 30th 06 06:08 PM
by @rturo Go to last post
0 551
Indexing network locations in Vista by @rturo
Why Microsoft is not supporting to index network locations like in Desktop Search. In Vista you can only index those locations if you set it to "Always Available Offline" because Vista Search is by default indexing the offline files. But what if I dont want to have a copy of those files in my hard drive, just the fast searching capabilities for those network locations. Desktop Search 2 has...
September 30th 06 06:08 PM
by @rturo Go to last post
0 537
Public Folders - location and share by A L L
I want to relocate the "public folders" to another hard drive. I like to keep my data folders (user and shares) separate from the OS and programs. How do I relocate the public folders? The location tab does not include the move button. What is the default share for Public folders? I deleted the existing share so I could move the folder and "restore" did not restore the share.
February 6th 07 09:35 PM
by A L L Go to last post
0 209
Removed Image Still Displays in Search Result by A Poor Guy
Hello OS: Windows Vista Home I have deleted images that I don't want to be in my computer. However, as I use the Search bar located at the upper right corner, it still displays images that I have removed. Once I click on it, it said "... folder doesn't exist. The file may have been removed or deleted. Do you want to create it."
June 19th 08 05:25 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
2 200
Cannot access "Documents and Setting" by A. de Regt
ls, I cannot get into "C:\Documents and Settings" Vista says: "access denied" When I go to C:\Users and enter my map there, and the try to get into "Local Settings" or "Application Data", same thing. How do I get there? Regards,
December 17th 07 04:12 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
2 173
restore file by A.K
while i was saving my new document in microsoft i accidently replace my existing document with the new one. is there any way to restore my old documents back? my old documents were very improtant. i would appreciate any reply....thanks
November 6th 07 03:54 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 179
Nuked SD card after chkdsc or BCD change - any file forensics help? by a.k.a.
Greetings, everyone! Can anyone provide advice on forensic approaches or utilities to try on a nuked SD card? Or suggest the best forums to cross-post in? In the middle of installing a multiboot of Server x64 RC2 and Vista x64 SP1 RC, I began encountering BSODs on shutdown of Vista. On reboot, Autochk began to hang in Vista, and even on the occasions I could get into a Safe Mode boot, the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 31st 07 07:33 PM
by a.k.a.[_2_] Go to last post
13 604
"Default programs" icons out of whack by a.k.a.
Hi folks, This afternoon I installed MS Office 2007 Ultimate (using a custom install, so that several apps are installed on first opening, and Visio Viewer is not installed). I haven't gotten around to installing SP1 yet today, and no other Office hotfixes installed yet. Until now I had been looking at DOCs with WordPad, so I opened the change default programs window, and went to "Associate...
December 12th 07 09:27 PM
by a.k.a. Go to last post
0 238
Test results of 17 disk/file recovery programs on SD card by a.k.a.[_2_]
This is a reposting of an identical message just below, using a more appropriate subject line, which will be useful for archive searches. The original problem is described in this post: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management&sloc=en-us&mid=a30b0072-1955-447d-bffe-2e54990dace6 As promised, I am writing back with test...
December 30th 07 11:39 PM
by a.k.a.[_2_] Go to last post
0 414
Start Menu 'all programs' folders resist BASIC customizations! by a.k.a.[_2_]
Dear everyone, If any of you find the default folder structure in the Start Menu of Vista / Server 2008 to be exceedingly clunky and mind-numbing and have tried to customize it into something sleeker, you may have run into problems. Some folder you've changed the names of recreate new versions of their former selves: Other folders when renamed no longer allow the icons to point where they...
January 11th 08 01:41 AM
by a.k.a.[_2_] Go to last post
0 150
17 file recovery apps tested in x86 Vista on a nuked SD card by a.k.a.[_2_]
Dear Forum, I am reposting these test results under a much clearer thread title, so that people who come trawling the search results with a file recovery need will spot this info more readily. The original problem was he http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management&sloc=en-us&mid=90f5985a-07be-4579-ac68-ec15029e9f3d As...
February 1st 08 02:45 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
3 604
explorer file switches by A.K[_2_]
does anyone know any explorer file management switches in vista basic or above???? im even willing to try some registry edits there was one i liked in xp : /e wich made all stuff drop down to c: root i don't want to go straight to favourites or documents wich i only could set it to but root levels.. cheers
February 25th 08 03:56 PM
by Dwarf Go to last post
2 326
cant transfer files by a880tt
hi there im new here so hope im the right section :) im also new to vista but having trouble what ive done is transfered the music and videos from my mobile phone to my computer by the memory card while i got a new phone i got the new phone and tired to transfer the files back to the memory card however i get this error
January 31st 08 12:36 PM
by a880tt[_2_] Go to last post
2 214
searched files by aalowder
why do some files in the resulting search show up in a blue font?
November 21st 06 02:06 PM
by Josh Go to last post
1 446
DESTINATION FOLDER ACCESS DENIED MESSAGE WHEN DELETING EXE FILES by aaquique
IT IS ALSO HAPPENING WHEN YOU TRY TO DELETA A EXE FILE. I CREATE A EXE FILE FROM MY MACROMEDIA FLASH SOFTWARE AND I CANNOT DELETE ANY OF THE FILES THAT I CREATED FROM FLASH. THEY ARE PROJECTORS FILES BUT WITH THE EXE EXTENSION AND IT SEEMS VISTA IS CONTROLLING WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR FILES. I DEACTIVATED THE UAC AND CHECK TWICE THAT I HAVE FULL CONTROL OF THE FILE BUT STILL CANNOT DELETE IT....
February 9th 08 10:39 PM
by Bob Go to last post

From The