Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread Reverse Sort Order / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
"Favorite Links" in Navigation Pane is (almost) always empty. by PGD
This is very wierd. Just a couple of days ago I installed Vista Ultimate onto my machine - clean install into an empty partition. No upgrade or file & settings transfer...everything is generic. I know a lot of people don't like the "Favorite Links" window in the Explorer navigation pane, but for me it would be very useful - if it actually worked! It almost always displays "(Empty)"...
June 15th 07 05:20 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
3 183
"FILE OR FOLDER DOES NOT EXIST" by PeeTree
I have seen several different people with this problem, so I am not the only one. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate, and everything was working fine, until one day I went to reorganize my music, and when I tried creating a new folder, it wouldn't let me rename it. "File or folder does not exist" pops up. This is quite frustrating, I have tried everyone's suggestions. They all fail. If...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 25th 08 06:50 PM
by Brink Go to last post
22 502
"Internet explorer has stopped working" message in Vista by avp144
I have Vista Home Premium, IE7 shutts down when i try to go to some pages, for example Dell's drivers & Downloads.
September 10th 07 06:20 PM
by erazoner[_2_] Go to last post
4 279
"Last Accessed" vs "Last Checked" by lel
What is the difference between the "Last Accessed" and "Last Checked" columns in the detail view in Windows Explorer? -- Lawrence E. Lewis Director of R&D SAS Institute Cary, NC, USA
July 8th 07 11:54 AM
by lel Go to last post
2 184
"Lost" downloaded files by Stan
I am starting up a new computer and downloading a number of files. Problem is that while the system says the file has been downloaded I can only rarely find it. The process shows that files are downloaded into the /usrs/xxx/download folder. If I try to re-download the file I get a message telling me that the file is there. But, when I look into the directory it is not there. I have on...
April 25th 07 04:48 PM
by plazticsoul Go to last post
3 168
"new folder" doesn't show until F5 is pressed? by lecisco
I'm finding some strange behavior in windows explorer. If I have a folder open in Details view, right click in the main pane and select New Folder, a new folder gets created but does not appear in the explorer window yet. I have to press F5 to refresh the page for it to show up. In XP doing this would not only show the new folder immediately but put the name in edit mode so I can type its...
February 27th 09 02:04 PM
by lecisco Go to last post
0 175
"New txt file" missing from right click menu by Zepi
Hi I lately noticed that my Vista (32bit) doesn't want me to make .txt files. When I'll right click on desktop and choose new from the menu I'll get this: http://zepi.kapsi.fi/PropertiesMenu.jpg So, there is no "new txt file" option. This happens in every directory, not just only on the desktop. Is there any way to get the "new txt file" option back?
December 31st 09 10:44 AM
by AmirGad Go to last post
6 478
"Open File Location" in Search Results opens Recent Items Folder by dorjen1
I am using Windows Vista Business. Whenever I search for files using Vista Search, it often returns documents present in the "Recent Items" folder. When I click on these items, they successfully open up with the appropriate program. However, if I right click on them and select "Open file location," it opens the recent items folder instead of the folder where the file is actually located. ...
July 31st 07 05:13 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
5 150
"open with" application menu by DBMon
where can I edit this menu/window? I had a file type working with a program before, then I moved it and it wouldn't work, messing around set it to another program and added even another to the "open with" window HELP
October 31st 07 06:34 PM
by brink[_1639_] Go to last post
1 133
"Open with" fails with Visual Studio 2005 by Nick Payne
Because of the way that VS operates its shortcut is setup to run as Administrator (this is done by Vista when installing VS, not by me). If I double-click on a source file in Windows Explorer, or right click on it and select Open With / VS, I get an error msgbox saying "Windows cannot find filename". If such operations between contexts are not allowed (similar to the problem with dragging...
October 22nd 06 10:52 AM
by Nick Payne Go to last post
0 538
"open with..." how to restore defaults? by DarrenW
Hi, I want to know how I can reset to the default programs for opening a file.. For example, I've got an .sav file from my Halo game folder, and one day I was just fiddling around with the folders and I accidently clicked it and chose Adobe Reader as the program.. then I tried WordPad, etc.. - don't know why I did that. And I don't like it how all my .sav files have the little WordPad logo on...
March 4th 08 06:07 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
2 297
"Phantom Drive Letter" in Windows Explorer by TomBirmingham
I have two removable drives (a 250 G hard disc & a CF Card Reader). Usually I click the "safely remove" icon before I remove them, but sometimes it doesn't work and/or I forget. Now, I have three "phantom drive letters" in my windows explorer window, and if I plug in my Card Reader it is designated by three drive letters displaying in the Explorer Window. How can I remove these three...
June 18th 07 04:54 PM
by Michael Walraven Go to last post
1 166
"programs" folder inside "all programs" by fme008 via WindowsKB.com
hi there, i have vista home premium. Recently i installed magic video converter. after i installed the program, i went to "start" - "all programs, " i see this "programs" folder. I clicked on that, all it shows is the list of softwares/programs installed in this computer (same list of stuff from "all programs" ) Is there anyway to get rid of this? i like the video program but hate "programs"...
August 9th 08 03:54 AM
by fme008 via WindowsKB.com Go to last post
0 318
"programs" folder inside "all programs" by fme008 via WindowsKB.com
hi there, i have vista home premium. Recently i installed magic video converter. after i installed the program, i went to "start" - "all programs, " i see this "programs" folder. I clicked on that, all it shows is the list of softwares/programs installed in this computer (same list of stuff from "all programs" ) Is there anyway to get rid of this? i like the video program but hate "programs"...
September 22nd 08 06:38 AM
by lennard beecher Go to last post
1 432
"Recent Files" Menu Maintains Over 120 Files. How is This Fixed? by Steve Williams
I have Vista Ultimate. In the Start menu, the "Recent Files" submenu always maintains over 100+ files. I can clear it out and within about a day or so, the number is up over 100+ again. I can't find a setting anywhere for setting the Recent Files limitation. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.
May 21st 07 06:14 PM
by Steve Williams Go to last post
2 190
"Restore files" fails on disk selection by ken
(this first posted on Vista General, but no responses there) I am using Vista Home Premium 64 Sp 1 on HP s3500f. I used DVD-RW to backup using Backup and Restore Center. When I wanted to restore a couple of files, I could only get so far. Here's what's happening...
February 27th 09 06:22 PM
by ken Go to last post
0 215
"rule of thumb" software install by Rick Allison
I'm not sue this is the right forum, if not please direct me to the correct one. What is the rule of thumb for where to install software in Vista? I'm a software developer. I have an installshield script that installs my software in c:\program files\my program file With Vista I can still do that but I have an MS Access database and the application needs write rights.
April 25th 09 12:25 PM
by Rick Allison Go to last post
3 155
"Search results may be incomplete .... items still being indexed" by Wendell Ying
This may have been covered in a another post somewhere but could not (easily) find anything relevant. I am running Outlook 2007 on Vista Enterprise; the index is completely rebuilt but I still get this message in the Outlook Search results box when searching my inbox. Strangely enough this was working for some time now but started to see this error over the past few days. Clues? -- Wendell...
February 15th 08 08:52 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 229
"Send To" file tab by visualvideo
How do you add a Drive, File, Document etc on the "Send To" tab... please help.....
June 1st 07 03:56 PM
by Tim Go to last post
1 161
"Send To" options by Avi
On right-click on a name of file or folder in the explorer there's a context menu item titels "Send To" how can I add programs such as Notepad to the list? Avi
December 20th 08 07:28 PM
by Brink Go to last post

From The