Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Documents Folder and Link Redirecting by bobneedshelp
I moved my documents folder from c:\users\bob\documents to \\NAS\Data\bob\bob. I also moved my other directories from c: such as \\NAS\Data\bob\Links. If I try to create a link or shortcut to this directory, it always puts me into my music directory \\NAS\media\music. I don't understand why the link changes after I save it to go to the music directory. I want to create a Favorite Link...
February 17th 07 02:08 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 136
Accessing Vista log file "Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler/Operatio by Soumitra Banerjee
Hi, I am trying to access the log file at "Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler/Operational" in vista using the following code snippet: EventLog el = new EventLog(); if
February 17th 07 02:42 AM
by Soumitra Banerjee Go to last post
0 142
Installing and uninstalling applications by Gerard Harris
I though I was getting to grips with Vistas file organisation but this one has thrown me:- I work for a software development company so continually install and uninstall software as part of our testing process. I installed a new copy of an application and everything went fine. The system allows a user to create a new sub-folder in which a copy of data files is placed. This all worked...
February 17th 07 05:08 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 156
Windows Works Word files to Windows Vista Word 07 by Mal
My new computer has Windows Vista Home Premium, and my old computer had Windows Office XP . I copied some Word files and folders from XP Office to a CD. When I installed the files and folders in Vista, they show up as Wordpad documents in Microsoft Works Word Processor. I want to convert the copied files from Works Word to Office Word 07, so that I might use them in the Office format. How do...
February 17th 07 05:39 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 157
error message by bob b
With XP I liked to open more than one media player at a time. In Vista I can't find a way. I like to listen to our local NPR radio station online while working with other media or video files at the same time. I would open the old mplayer2.exe which had a small footprint and do a fine job. Now when I try to open it it will say: The procedure entry point RunDIIW could not be located in the...
February 17th 07 05:47 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 158
Modifying system directory files by SuperNews
Is it possible for a user (the administrator) to delete or overwrite files in the \windows and \windows\system32 directories? I want to copy winhlp32.exe from XP over the stub that Microsoft thoughtfully provided so that we cannot look at old .hlp files on Vista. Every attempt I make is refused... what is the secret to allow people to control their own machines?
February 17th 07 07:57 PM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
2 168
'tags' field embedded in metadata by Samuel
'tags' field embedded in metadata When I first got vista I could not wait to tag my files, it's the best feature of the OS in my opinion. However it was important that the data entered stayed latched in the file, as it mostly does, but I had a horrible feelng that all my hard work might be missplaced as the all important 'tag' field was not present in the visible fields of any file under XP....
February 17th 07 08:07 PM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
2 230
Indexing not working by swsearcy
I am using Vista preloaded on a Dell XP 410. For the most part the system is working well. However, indexing isn't working. Whenever I open Indexing Options from the control panel, it shows that 0 items have been indexed and that "Index is performing maintenance." In this state I cannot force a rebuild of the index. In this state, I can add a new location, but I need to restart the...
February 17th 07 08:49 PM
by swsearcy Go to last post
2 1,386
Recorded TV files by WildlifeLover
I see that recorded TV files should be located somewhere in Documents and Settings\All Users, but Vista will mot allow me to see Documents and Settings. It throws an "Access denied" error. Does anyone know how I fix this???
February 18th 07 12:48 AM
by Jane C Go to last post
1 210
Didnt back up files before I upgrade to Vista from XP - HELP! by I need help!!!
Is there any way to go back or recovery the files on my hard drive?
February 18th 07 02:57 AM
by Dustin Harper Go to last post
2 249
New folders dont show up on windows explorer by Mikeray
I was wondering why vista doesnt show newly created folders on the explorer. I made new folders after saving pictures from internet explorer, but when i went to open said folder on the explorer the folders were nowhere to be seen. Also i tried setting them to show me modified folders and i couldn't see any newly made folders. Does vista take a while to update folder contents? (folder and...
February 18th 07 10:02 AM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
8 159
question on saved files for games and such by Andy
I have a game, called out of the park 2006 that auto saves each "game folder". In XP and such, it saved it in C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\OOTP Baseball 2006\data\saved_games now with Vista, I have to click on "compatibility files" right below in the above address bar to find the games I save. And the following address comes up: C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program...
February 18th 07 07:11 PM
by Andy Go to last post
0 196
Installing older software by Mike Schuler
All of my business files and books are made in MSWorks 4.5 for Windows 95. The newer versions of Works will not open up these files, so I've been continuing to use MSWorks 4.5 on my XP computer. I've installed in on my new Vista computer, but I can't make it run. If I try to open a file, it tries to open it in Works version 8 which can't open the file. How do I get it to run MSWorks 4.5?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 18th 07 08:35 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
11 396
Remove XP from dual-boot by Ned Buckmaster
I upgraded an existing XP MCE install to Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Vista installed to a partition on another hard drive - a 74G Raptor. System is now dual-boot between Vista and XP. Both drives are SATA. I am happy with Vista, and want to remove XP from Disk 0 which (under Vista) is the D drive. However, that partition in Disk Manager is marked as (System, Active, Primary Partition) and cannot...
February 19th 07 04:29 PM
by John Barnett MVP Go to last post
3 156
Free Flash Games by Flash Games
Free Flash Games http://www.clipplay.com/ fun videos games and more. Fun flash games. Free flash games videos and more.
February 20th 07 12:52 AM
by Flash Games Go to last post
0 221
Keyword search does not work on all files by Bpfh
Just like XP (SP2), it seems that the Vista does not search for keywords in "non registered" files. I have the same problem as "auser" for searching within non-indexed files (ie. put string "SEARCH" in file called file.dpe and the search system will never look. Rename the file to file.txt, and lo, the file & string will be found. How do I get the keyword search to work properly? For me All...
February 20th 07 01:08 AM
by DisplayName Go to last post
7 194
Creating a Shortcut for Speech Recognition by Aeroflex3
Hi, I want to create a shortcut for Vista Speech Recognition so i dont have to access it through control panel on my All Programs list in my start menu. I think I found the application in C:/Windows/Speech/Common/sapisvr.exe but when I create a shortcut to it, and double click it the speech recognition program does not load. Can someone help? Thank you.
February 20th 07 02:06 AM
by Go to last post
1 152
Windiff.exe for Vista by PaulSo
Is there a version of windiff.exe for Vista ? I want to compare the filenames within 2 USB hard drives.
February 20th 07 08:54 AM
by PaulSo Go to last post
2 173
Vista Reload: Is my plan workable? Need feedback by DavePie
After having Vista since 2/1, I am running into more minor file/directory problems(See list at end). No one has posted any solutions. I did try: Startup Repair from VISTA CD and SFC /SCANNOW(System File Checker)! Please note that everything works fine when switching to USER having NO admin privileges. I think all my problems have to do with security/file folder permissions or a...
February 20th 07 08:37 PM
by jimmuh Go to last post
1 176
Do NTFS File Permissions migrate with Acronis backups to different drives ?? by Synapse Syndrome
If I move data from one partition to another one, through an Acronis TrueImage backup, will the NTFS permission be transferred as well, or will they be reset to the standard permissions already set on the target partitions? Cheers ss.
February 20th 07 09:46 PM
by Pegasus \(MVP\) Go to last post

From The