Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
How to resolve symbolic links in code? by Muemeister
Hi there, Short question: How can I resolve the real path of a destination including sympoic links? Scenario: 1.) I install an application under C:\Prgogramma\myapp where c:\Programma is not a physical path. The shortcut created on the desktop also contains this *pseudo* path.
December 6th 06 02:25 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 563
User Folder Folders - Access Denied by Synapse Syndrome
Once I have set hidden and system files and folders to be displayed in Folder Options I can see some familiar folders like SendTo, Cookies Application Data, etc. But for some reason the icons have shortcut overlays on them and I can't get into them - Access Denied. This happens even with UAC turned off and running as administrator. My account seems to have full permissions for these...
December 5th 06 05:53 AM
by Synapse Syndrome Go to last post
6 506
Programs ??? by David Wright
If you don't like the securities of Vista, why not just stick with XP? Some of us don't really mind the prompts (except in VNC, where it bumps you :P). Microsoft developed the UAC feature for Windows Vista to help prevent malicious programs silent installation and computer-wide infection (which in theory is a good idea). Although it's not really a good idea (and one I wouldn't suggest),...
December 5th 06 05:13 AM
by David Wright Go to last post
0 542
How to backup a specified folder by Nicolai Linde
How do I backup a folder of my choice? The only choices I see are a full backup or a generic backup of images, movies... So if I want to backup only my own image folder, how would I go about doing that? Another silly thing is that with the standard images backup feature, it backs up standard windows gif files and stuff like that, why would I want a
December 2nd 06 10:44 PM
by Nicolai Linde Go to last post
0 514
Search doesn't show PST files by schildb
I just installed the final version of Vista and Office2007. When I do a search for the outlook PST files it doesn't show anything. Outtlokk shows all my items so it's there somewhere. What do I need to set to show them in search?
December 1st 06 08:53 PM
by Byron Hinson Go to last post
1 543
Search doesn't show PST files by Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
Hello, Or you could go to control panel Choose Indexing options Advanced Button. Then choose file types Check the box for PST so as to index the pst files Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
November 30th 06 07:21 PM
by Darrell Gorter[MSFT] Go to last post
0 536
Search doesn't show PST files by Alice
I just installed the final version of Vista and Office2007. When I do a search for the outlook PST files it doesn't show anything. Outtlokk shows all my items so it's there somewhere. What do I need to set to show them in search? You'll have to activate "Include non-indexed, hidden and system files (might be slow)" in the advanced search. You'll find the files are in...
November 30th 06 06:00 PM
by Alice Go to last post
0 504
Is localization of "?:\Users" inside Explorer useful? by Th0u
Hello, I use the german version of vista ultimate and I wonder if there are any benefits of displaying the folder "Users" as "Benutzer" (= german transl. of Users) in the explorer. On commandline i can see "users". Explorer shows "Benutzer". Such differences in the "view of things" could lead to unwanted results. So is there any reason to translate this folder name? Cheers.
November 30th 06 01:58 PM
by Th0u Go to last post
0 526
More Personal Folders Problems, User Account Corruption BUG! by Geoff
Hey all...i was reading through some of these posts and i think i have a similar problem. Basically i was trying to move my data off of the main partition (a common request). So i was moving/changing the Location (in properties from the start menu) and now the start menu folders are totally broken. Pictures and Music icons in the start menu now dont work at all. How can i just point those...
November 29th 06 05:24 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
2 515
Indexing by Danny
Anyone else having problems with the indexing options. I am unable to change indexing options. All buttons on the indexing options window are disabled and it says the index is turned off.
November 28th 06 09:57 PM
by Detroit-2Xeon Go to last post
3 565
Indexing a Network Drive by bobneedshelp
I have my basic documents on a network drive and would like to index them for faster searching. How can I do this? It only looks like it will let me index files on the local hard drive. -- Bob
November 28th 06 05:42 PM
by Ashley Oz Go to last post
1 543
Where are "Files discarded by Windows upgrade"? by Roof Fiddler
I ran disk cleanup on c: for all users, and under "Files discarded by Windows upgrade", with description "Files from a previous Windows installation. As a precaution, Windows upgrade keeps a copy of any files that were not moved to the new version of Windows and were not identified as Windows system files...", it shows 4.54GB. The only upgrade I've done is from RC1 to RC2. Where are these...
November 28th 06 08:44 AM
by Bob Quinn Go to last post
3 2,029
Issues with pasting new Folder names by rfidalgo
I have noticed that with build 5600 if you hit F2, to rename a folder, when you hit the paste command, nothing happens and you basically have to retype the entire name manually, no matter how long or how short it may be. And more often than not, the folder sctructure does not refresh to show the new folder sctructu better yet, it will show the new folder name, BUT the old folder name...
November 27th 06 05:43 PM
by ck Go to last post
3 555
Can't select multiple files in the default Download folder by dot-bot
My solution seems permanent, haven't had a problem since I deleted those regs. Yes, Microsoft software is buggy by design as most consumer-grade things that is not military grade. Shame. Official answer from Microsoft: "..our software is stable bla bla.." only lies.
November 25th 06 08:39 PM
by dot-bot Go to last post
0 505
Infinit retry loop in renaming a root folder under certain circumstances. by Al
I'm not sure who should be taken out to the woodshed - the architect that decided the following is a good idea, or the coder who did such a horrible job. It will cause all sorts of grief, IMHO. What's worse now I can't reproduce the problem even though it has happened several times! Essentially what has happened is that I try to rename a folder that I some how had open with another window....
November 25th 06 06:34 PM
by Al Go to last post
0 488
MS OFFICE MISSING FOLDERS by iglimpse
Have just connected Bluetooth and phone today and it asked if I wanted to configure it with MS outlook which would be helpful. All seemed to go OK (complete beginner!), But then I went back into Outlook and found that many of my folders have disappeared (the ones I had filters for) but also many others. Now only have basic boxes (in, out sent etc). I have no idea how or why this...
November 25th 06 05:29 PM
by iglimpse Go to last post
0 507
Data missing from directory listings by Roof Fiddler
FullDisk scans all of the files and directories on a hard disk (including hidden and system files) and calculates totals. I ran FullDisk (in admin mode) on my 300GB hard disk, and got these results: Used Space: 104,392,954,169 Free Space: 116,398,723,072 In "Local Disk (C:) Properties" as reported by Vista, I have: Used Space: 183,689,109,504 Free Space: 116,398,657,536
November 25th 06 02:09 AM
by Roof Fiddler Go to last post
0 482
Can't select multiple files in the default Download folder by vista
is there any permanent solution? is this a bug or vista or what? is it caused maybe from some programs incompatibility? any official answer from microsoft? thanks
November 25th 06 01:58 AM
by vista Go to last post
0 483
Can't write back backup files to some directories ! by PierreDa
Hi, Vista RTM. New install. I become a little bit crazy when trying to do "simple things" ! I have administrator rigths ans I disabled UAC directly after finishing installing Vista. Everything is installing perfectly ... right now ;-)
November 24th 06 04:45 PM
by PierreDa Go to last post
0 509
Permissions and TrustedInstaller by Jarmo
I installed Vista RTM to partition C and now I'm trying to remove earlier Vista RC1 from D. I have deleted all folders except Program Files, ProgramData and Windows. If I try to delete these, the errormessage after all UAC confirmation windows is: "You need permission to perform this action". I don't want to format partition D because of there is also data I don't want to remove, so what...
November 24th 06 04:43 PM
by PierreDa Go to last post

From The