Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't open files by double clicking on them... by Markctpr
I'm using Vista RC1 and Office 2007 (with the tech refresh installed) and I'm having trouble opening Word and Excel files. They open just fine if open them from within the menus in Word or Excel. But, if I just click on a Word or Excel file I get an error message saying Windows can't find the file. The error message itself includes the correct filename and path. Further, Excel and...
September 30th 06 04:44 PM
by Markctpr Go to last post
0 557
Hiding desktop.ini files by Reine Larsson
Hi, Can somebody help me with this? I do want to "Show hidden files and folders" and I don't want to "Hide protected operating system files" (as set in Folder Options). But it would be very nice to avoid seeing all those desktop.ini files which are "scattered" here and there. Is it somehow possible to hide files on a per file type bases? /Reine
September 30th 06 03:19 PM
by Max Go to last post
5 565
Now that we have the ISO file by JMan
besides just copying to a DVD how do we open as an image and burn it to a DVD? John
September 29th 06 07:10 PM
by JMan Go to last post
3 481
screen savers by JMan
we know our clients are going to use them so I started to use one other than blank. They wont go away unless I hit ctrl alt del and then hit cancel anyone else seeing this? John
September 29th 06 07:06 PM
by JMan Go to last post
0 494
Copying files asks to overwrite.. by Fuzion
So far everytime I copy a file whether it be locally or from a network location, the files copy, then it pops up with a window asking if I want to overwrite the files.. the files are already there; it's like Windows is trying to copy it again.. I am running Vista RC1.. Has anyone else encountered this problem??
September 29th 06 03:35 PM
by Fuzion Go to last post
0 528
File counts are wrong..... by Warwick Webb
Hello, This is a very strange problem. I recently upgraded an XP system to Vista RC1. I have a single very large folder that contains about 20,000 MP3 files. When I right click on this folder and click Properties, Vista says there are about 28,000 files in that directory. This is definately not right. So I went into that directory and selected a subdirectory that contained only 5 files....
September 29th 06 01:09 PM
by Warwick Webb Go to last post
1 505
File count wrong........... by Warwick Webb
Hello, This is a very strange problem. I recently upgraded an XP system to Vista RC1. I have a single very large folder that contains about 20,000 MP3 files. When I right click on this folder and click Properties, Vista says there are about 28,000 files in that directory. This is definately not right. So I went into that directory and selected a subdirectory that contained only 5 files....
September 29th 06 12:47 PM
by Warwick Webb Go to last post
0 500
Send To by Martin Racette
Hi, In Windows XP, if I go to the %userprofile%\SendTo folder, I can add my own destination, but in Vista RC-1, I can not even open the SendTo folder, so how can I add new destination -- Thank you in Advance Merci a l'Avance
September 29th 06 01:35 AM
by Bzee Go to last post
1 636
Finding vista_5600.16384.060829-2230_x86fre_client-lr1cfre_en_dvd. by EmoXide
Hi guys, I just download the Vista RC1 file twice now and no matter what i try i cant seem to find the file in my folders, ive tried saving it in several different places but still no luck. The download process i took was via the akamaintechnologies download manager. Any help would be great.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 28th 06 10:15 PM
by HughGWoody Go to last post
12 802
How to get complete file attributes list on command line? by Roof Fiddler
What's the command to get a complete list of _all_ of a file's or directory's attributes, i.e. all of the information (permissions, ownership, timestamps, previous versions, custom attributes, etc) that can be obtained from various windows, subwindows, and window tabs accessible by right-clicking a file in Windows Explorer and opening Properties?
September 28th 06 06:31 AM
by Roberto Baggio Go to last post
1 538
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by otiasj
Hello, thank you for taking the time to explain UAC, Q: UAC is Microsoft's way of controlling my computer and preventing me from using it! A: This is 100% UNTRUE. UAC puts control of your computer IN YOUR HANDS by allowing you to prevent unwanted programs from accessing your computer. *Everything* that you can do with UAC turned off, you can do with it turned on. If this is...
September 28th 06 04:08 AM
by otiasj Go to last post
0 546
I have a problem creating a ODBC connection to a Foxpro Database!! by Lee Blue
John, Did you ever get a resolution to this. I'm testing an app for Vista and ran into the exact same problem. - Lee
September 26th 06 07:02 PM
by Lee Blue Go to last post
0 504
Admin account by Jeff
Hi, Totally forgot how to enable the admin account. For 5728;please. Any help? Jeff
September 26th 06 05:52 PM
by Patrick Drews Go to last post
1 535
5728 Access by Jeff
Hi, With UAC off; and signed in aa an "admin"; why do I get access deny violations-NO ACCESS-ACCESS DENIED to system folders? Never before;in any build; or even other Windows o.s.'s; have I seen this;when logged in as "admin'. What's the deal with this in 5728? Did MSFT suddenly put system files into a " No accesss allowed" area? Any help??? Jeff Really weird; not all; but most...
September 25th 06 12:48 PM
by Jeff Go to last post
4 508
Excel problems by Grant
Don't have a solution, but the same thing happens with Microsoft Office 2000. Each time I start outlook it goes through the configuration cycle as through it has never been started. -- -Grant "tina201202" wrote: I am trying to open my existing Excel package but keep getting a message
September 24th 06 02:24 PM
by Grant Go to last post
0 481
Start Menu Search Function by 2grve
hi, Yesterday I rearranged the programs under the start menu. Since then all the programs I had moved into one folder (Office) will no longer work. The search function finds them but clicking on them no longer launches the program. Everything else works fine. The shortcuts for these programs on the desktop still work fine. Any ideas?
September 23rd 06 07:49 PM
by 2grve Go to last post
0 492
Start Menu Search Function by 2grve
hi, wondering if anyone has an idea what is going on. I rearranged some of the programs in my start menu. Since then some programs will show up on search but will not start. The only way to start them is by making a shortcut. SAll of the programs were in the same filder so I am assuming it has something to do with that. The programs include all of the office 2007 suite and adobe acrobat etc...
September 23rd 06 07:45 PM
by 2grve Go to last post
0 519
Disable zip file support by Telstar
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 01:04:35 +0100, "Len Norton" wrote: Does anyone know how to disable Vista's inbuilt zip file support so that they display as ordinary files? Install winrar.
September 23rd 06 04:27 PM
by Telstar Go to last post
0 462
Windows Explorer Layout by Pustoolio
I tried that and it doesn't seem to work. How do I get it to NOT expand the 'appdata' by default? I want to right click the Start button and hit explore without it showing a list a mile long. I have to collapse the folders just to get to a basic view every single time. e.g. This is what I want c:
September 22nd 06 08:00 AM
by Jan Kucera Go to last post
1 515
GADGET file help by Keeep Out
Can someone please tell me what program (and where to find it under 'Browse') to open GADGET files with. I acidently opened it with notepad so i dont know what the default program to open the files with so it can install.
September 22nd 06 02:48 AM
by Keeep Out Go to last post

From The