Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views Reverse Sort Order
Where has the normal address bar drop down arrow gone? by Adam_N
In windows 2000 and XP the drop down arrow at the right of the address bar at the top of the window would link you to all kinds of useful places including all of your hard drives, control panel, common folders and, most usefully, removable drives such as a USB flash drive, allowing you to quickly do a Ctrl+C on a file and naviagte to the drive, then Ctrl+V to copy over to it. In Vista...
November 1st 07 05:51 AM
by Michael Palumbo Go to last post
9 108
finding files by leap
i have downloading msn messanger 8.1 5 times i usse windows vista and i can't find the file anywhere and it is driving me crazy!!!!!! help!!!!!!!
November 1st 07 05:06 PM
by leap Go to last post
2 107
tags in explorer by KK
Hello, I use Vista home premium on a laptop. I find I cannot add tags to some files in some folders, though I have no problem with other files. The files that cause problems are video files such as .rm, .ram, .wmv, .avi etc. Does anyone know how to attach tags to video clip files ? Thanks KK
May 6th 07 09:17 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 106
Missing Filters in Windows Explorer by Dan
I just loaded Vista on a new laptop. In the music folder under my user name, I have several other folders (MP3, MIDI, Karaoke, Guitar Tabs, etc.). When I click on music and that is the folder that is shown in the address bar...if I do a search for a file that I know exists in one of the subfolders, it does not appear in the search (for example, the song "nightmoves"). I found out the...
November 6th 07 02:50 AM
by Dave Go to last post
1 106
Backup Files in Vista by cdf[_2_]
On my network domain, I have two computers with extra hard drives. I backup my users "My Documents" onto these drives using the standard NTbackup XP has no problem with this. Vista will backup to the drive once, but after that it will not. Permissions and security are domain related - both vista machines are running professional and the user is signing in with a domain login. Why wont it...
October 10th 07 07:34 AM
by cdf[_2_] Go to last post
0 105
.mdb files in Vista Business by RHill
Hello Support Group I have MS Office 2003 Professional installed on my Vista Business laptop. The .mdb files on this PC cannot be moved to another PC or Shared Storage Directory on our Network and be viewed or edited with any other PC / Operating System when the file is opened with another PC using MS Access 2003 it opens up empty or blank. I also tried E-mailing the file to a programmer for...
May 7th 07 08:20 PM
by RHill Go to last post
0 105
Can't transfer JavaScript (.js) files with any FTP program in Vist by Paithar
This is just one of my problems. I have Vista Ultimate installed on my pc at home. I'm a web developer and I routinely use ftp programs (generally Filezilla but I've used others with this problem) to transfer files from other web servers to my pc and then back again. However, every single time I try to transfer a javascript file with an extension of .js the file errors out (I can't...
May 4th 07 02:57 PM
by Paithar Go to last post
0 104
Size of Temporary Internet Files is 5Gb after deleting from IE by [email protected]
I have been doing some housekeeping on my vista home premium laptop, when I noted that I seemed to be using a huge amount of disk storage for which I could not account. I traced a huge 5Gb of it to the C:\Users\Gordon\AppData\Local \Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files folder I cleaned the folders cache, cookies, etc from ie 7 but the size still remains. Of course I can't see anything in...
April 17th 07 11:43 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
6 103
Desktop Folders by Fred
I've seen a couple similar posts but no answers that seem to solve my problem. I am on the administrative account, and when I create a folder on my desktop to try to organize my icons, it won't let me copy any files into those folders. When I drag and drop it says I need to provide administrative permissions, so I click continue to provide the credentials. But then it pops up an Access...
May 6th 07 09:01 PM
by Fred Go to last post
0 102
Error opening files on a network share. by NCS
Since this error is so generic, I have no idea if this is a Vista issue or Office 2007 issue. Opening a simple Access Database file on a network drive produces an error that simply states "File Not Found" . However the file opens and functions as normal after you select OK on the error message. It just seems to be a nuisance error. I have taken this same Access file to other networks and...
April 11th 07 11:54 AM
by NCS Go to last post
1 102
Local network does not show by Kalevi
Have Vista Professional (64). The network can see me, but cannot see the others. All I can see is myself. Have diagnosed OK. Ping works OK. Run out of ideas. What could I do more? Thanks Kalevi
November 1st 07 01:54 PM
by Jabez Gan [MVP] Go to last post
3 102
Requesting MS Response MS re Briefcase issues & = 1 (documented) by Julian
Hi, A number of functionality and usability issues have been raised in the forums concerning Vista's version of briefcase. In the absence of specific explanations, resolutions or satisfactory workarounds from non-MS participants, an MS response would be greatly appreciated. Issue Summary:
April 21st 07 11:32 AM
by MarkF Go to last post
1 101
Can I set Search back to XP way? by lforbes
Hi, I am having problems finding things with the search in Vista. With XP when I set it to search system and hidden files it stayed that way. It also didn't give me ABSOLUTELY everything including emails, favourites etc. All I want to do is to be able to search for a file name and have it list ONLY the files that have that name. However, I want it to search everywhere. I would rather it...
April 11th 07 05:22 AM
by lforbes Go to last post
2 98
Need Some Guidance by Ronnie Vernon MVP
Earl Yes, this is normal. When you first install Vista, you will see an initial increase in the amount of used disk space. While you are installing programs and configuring the system to your liking, there will be a lot of restore points being created, a lot of temp files being created, an index created for the new search features, and etc. Once your finished getting everything configured be...
May 1st 07 06:59 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
0 96
Document Folder location cannot be recreated - new post by Ed Bitzer
Same question as posted and answered by another 6/14/09 but solution offered does not work for me. I moved the Documents folder, then added partitions and did some name changing which apparently messed up the Registry. When I try the solution of start | start search and enter Document shell personal upon entering nothing is found. Appreciate some help. -- Ed Bitzer
August 24th 09 03:07 PM
by Ed Bitzer Go to last post

From The