Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't find Downloaded Files by Chip
I'm having the same problem. This is a brand new laptop, clean install from dell. I tried downloading Symantec Virus Scan 8 times. 3 times I chose SAVE, and chose to put in on my Desktop. 2 times I chose SAVE, and put it in my DOCUMENT folder. 5 times I chose RUN. Each time it looks like its downloading, but the file never shows up at its destination. I even did a search for...
February 23rd 07 06:41 PM
by R. C. White, MVP Go to last post
1 164
Mirroring Vista to a different Hard Disk by [email protected]
I recently installed Vista onto an 80 GB hard drive, intending to just check it out, but I now intend to use it as my main OS, and I'd like to move it over to a newer, more reliable 120 GB hard drive, which I've never done before. Could anyone tell me the easiest, most painless way to accomplish this? I'd rather not have to reinstall vista, but I can if need be.
February 23rd 07 08:40 PM
by R. C. White, MVP Go to last post
1 190
Sub-directory indicators vanish from left pane in Explorer by Joel A
In Explorer directory tree in left pane has Mac-style triangles or plus-sign boxes to indicate that sub-directories exist. When focus is on left pane they appear fine. When focus moves to explorer's right pane they all vanish, leaving only the vertical lines "between" the directories. I can put up some screenshots if needed. Any ideas?
February 23rd 07 08:51 PM
by Wayne Hertz Go to last post
3 166
Will Vista carve out space for another partition during the setup? by JMI
Hello, I've got Vista Premium Upgrade and wanted to know if the Vista install will carve out space for another partition on an existing drive (say one in which XP is already installed). I'd feel more comfortable doing a Dual boot between Vista and XP Home until I know how well Vista will really work for me. I'm thinking Linux does this as do other OSs (BeOS comes to mind)
February 23rd 07 09:37 PM
by Hugh Wyn Griffith Go to last post
9 190
Folder Comments by Sandles
Is it possible to add comments to folders as part of its properties and display the comments in exporer
February 23rd 07 10:06 PM
by Sandles Go to last post
0 167
Problem writing ID3 tags by Extracampine
When editing ID3 tags for MP3 files, I have no problems editing files on my internal C: , but I cannot edit them on my external I: . I use Windows Media Player 11, but also Ultra Tag Editor and TagScanner to edit tags. Tagscanner does not even let me change ID3 tags for these files, and MediaMonkey does but then "forgets" the changes if I switch folders then go back to that folder. The...
February 24th 07 03:31 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
8 179
Folders with Arrows by Jack B
I'm new to Vista - just loaded it yesterday. In file explore windows, what are all the folders with what appear to be shortcut arrows on them? They seem to be sprinkled all over the place, coming and going, and when I try to open one of them, I get and "access denied" message. Thanks, Jack
February 24th 07 04:10 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
7 143
upgrade/ file retrieval by ddja
I upgraded from Windows WP Professional to Windows Vista Home Premium, thinking that my files had been backed up, and they weren't. Is there any way to retrieve my files?
February 24th 07 04:15 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 165
Vista drive partition designations - Excel by acegap
I have successfully installed Windows Vista Home Basic x64 bit. I have 11 partitions, C:\ through M:\ C:\ = Windows 2000 SP4 I:\ = XP x64 bit L:\ = Vista The problem is that I have all my personal files occupying E:\
February 24th 07 07:12 PM
by acegap Go to last post
2 189
Backup withOUT the system drive? by Arthur Dent
Hello all, I am wondering if anyone knows off hand if there is anyway possible to be able to use the Windows Backup/Restore tool to do a backup that does NOT include the Windows System drive? I have all my data separated on a second drive, and really just want to back up my data drive...as that is FAR more valuable to me than the system drive. If C: went, i would just reinstall... no...
February 24th 07 08:34 PM
by AJR Go to last post
4 194
None of the "size Icons" views in Explorer display filenames by Raivo
For some reason, file and folder names do not display underneath most files and folders in most directories when I have Explorer set to any of the Extra Large Icons, Large Icons, Medium Icons, or Small Icons views. Filenames appear in my Documents folder and subfolders, but not in almost every other folder on my system, the actual desktop excluded. As you can imagine, this makes Explorer...
February 24th 07 10:47 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
3 155
Restoring OneCare Backup from XP on Vista by Knut
Hi, I restored my backed up files from a Windows XP PC to my new Vista Ultimate PC. However, I can't find the files anywhere. I know they are there because when I create a new backup from Vista, I am told there are 72 Gigs of files instead of the usual 36 Gigs. Any idea on how I can delete the first restore from XP to Vista? Thanks!
February 24th 07 10:58 PM
by Knut Go to last post
0 151
Search Problem by Jeff Richards
I open the CD drive in Explorer. The CD root directory contains about 20 folders. I select Tools / Folder Options / Search and make sure "Include subfolders when typing in the search box" is ticked, then close, and type something in the search box. Nothing is ever found except folders in the root directory. I can open each folder and search for the files I need separately, but I can't...
February 25th 07 12:07 AM
by Frustrated Go to last post
1 138
Looking for contact to add another file extension website source by Martin Kup
Dear friends, I'm looking for a contact person, who is responsible for managing this website: http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/0409/xml/redir.asp?EXT=dmp - page like this is displayed, if you click in Windows Explorer to file of unknown type and select "find appropriate application using web service". We have new website http://www.file-extensions.org/, which we would like to add to above...
February 25th 07 07:11 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 198
Where does the Recycle Bin live? by Martin
When I upgraded to Vista, I did some cleaning up on my D:, E:, F:, and G: partitions, sending a lot of files to the Recycle Bin. I then did a clean install of Vista on my C: partition. I also installed AVG Anti-Virus. When AVG now runs, it discovers trojans in zip files in F:\Recycled\... and G:\Recycled\......, which I would like to delete. However, I can't find where these "old" recycled...
February 25th 07 10:30 AM
by Martin Go to last post
2 186
Folder tip text by Viervlek
In Windows 2000 I could enter extra text in a desktop.ini-file as Infotip=Example, which was displayed as Infotip when moving the cursor over the folder. Does anyone know how to do this in Vista?
February 25th 07 04:02 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
1 217
Outlook 2000 Messages by Fred Myers
I am unable to import Outlook messages in Windows Mail. I get the message: "Messages cannot be imported from the MAPI client. An error has occurred." How do I import these messages?
February 25th 07 11:23 PM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
2 215
Deleted files re-appear in VISTA by will f
Hi. I've encountered some very strange behavior while troubleshooting an app, and would like some help. I did a complete uninstall of the program. The uninstall removed the programs directory structure - as it should have. It deleted the C:\Program Files\My Company\My App Name folder. I then manually re-created the directory structure, C:\Program Files\My
February 26th 07 12:02 AM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
7 238
windows navigation panel error by dr de-one
i think navigation panel may have a bug. one of the programs i was using wrote the data to a comma delimited generic word and spreedsheet file in the that specfic program file. when i used the navigation panel to find them they were not there. when i used microsoftword or spreedsheet program they were there when i changed the name in the search panel of the word program by right clicking and...
February 26th 07 02:57 AM
by dr de-one Go to last post
0 198
Redirected folders don't make avaliable offline? by nickname
I am using Windows Vista on a SBS 2003 domain. I have set the folder redirection via group policy and also set "User ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesSystemFolder Redirection'Do not automatically make redirected folders availaible offline'" to enabled. However windows vista still insists on making these folders avaliable offline and will not allow me to change it. How can i resolve...
February 26th 07 08:19 AM
by Ken Zhao [MSFT] Go to last post

From The