Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Windows Search fails to create catalog by gazyg
I have the same problem. Has anyone found a solution? May have to resort to Google's search. "Anthony Brien" wrote: I have been trying to enable the indexing since installing a fresh copy of build 5536. When I tell Explorer to turn on Indexing and give my credentials nothing happen. If I open the Indexing Options dialog, everything is grayed out and it says that "Indexing is not...
August 2nd 09 01:37 AM
by swwillia Go to last post
3 247
Unseting an file association by njwilderman
i need help with undoing a file extension in my vista home premium 64bit laptop. i accidentally picked a sav game file (.sav) and changed it so it opens with note pad and now i cant view or use any of my save games for any game i have SO PLEASE HELP -- njwilderman
August 1st 09 05:20 PM
by Brink Go to last post
3 235
"Could not find this item"? by scrapmonkey
Hi, I'm trying to copy photos from the public pictures folder to a memory card. I can view the photos (Explorer, Windows Photo Gallery) and I can transfer them to other folders on the PC but when I try to copy them across I get the following message: "Could not find this item. This item is no longer located in C:\Users\Public\PublicPictures\Photos. Verify the item's location and try again." When...
July 31st 09 04:47 AM
by scrapmonkey[_3_] Go to last post
4 280
Installed Patches Information by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Jay wrote: Windows Vista Business. No this computer does not update visa WSUS. Used WUA API to actually download and install the patch. For example, I installed KB937287. Went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Updates and did not find any information on that patch as I expected. So I am wondering where this information (such as InstalledDate, InstalledBy etc) is stored...
July 30th 09 11:58 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
0 180
Locked Out Of Folders by John Reid
I went in to check my music in my Vista Music folder but I found a new MY MUSIC Folder. There was a new icon beside it, a musical note, but it would not let me in to view the files. It returned a message saying that "it was not accessible: Access Denied." I then noticed that two other folders had new icons beside them, MY PICTURES and MY VIDEOS. Further down was another folder MY DOCUMENTS. I...
July 30th 09 09:07 PM
by John Reid Go to last post
2 239
Windows display details view by Michelle[_4_]
Hello, is there a way I can make 'details-view' the default view every time I open a window? Mine seems to revert to icons automatically. Thanks M
July 30th 09 07:39 PM
by DaveD[_4_] Go to last post
2 179
Windows Explorer Copying Files by JonK
When I use the right mouse button to drag a file from a folder in the right pane to another folder in the navigation pane I see a + symbol in front of "copy" now in Vista's Windows Explorer. Once I have settled the cursor over the destination folder this will pop up. Is there a key that can be pressed when this shows to confirm the file copy? Is this meant to make file copying more accurate...
July 28th 09 08:46 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 165
How are folders named in Windows Vista by Michael Garczynski
I have redirected several of my folders in Vista as I have previously in XP so I didn't have to change my document locations. However, many of the references so the folder as My Documents while the Vista folder is just called Documents. I am not able to change the location of these folders even though I have successfully redirected all of the locations. How do I complete these changes so...
July 28th 09 03:44 PM
by Michael Garczynski Go to last post
2 208
Searching all files in a folder for a string. by Just Askin
I keep some customer documents, Excel and Word files, in a folder. The folder is on a network share. Periodically I need to search these documents for the presence of a string of text. This is simply, quickly and intuitively done in XP. How do I do this in Vista?
July 26th 09 06:07 PM
by dtureaud Go to last post
4 241
Cant open xp files on external hard drive on vista by nobby999
Hi i had a windows xpSP2 PC which i had backed up on to an external hard drive. That PC appeared to die and so i bought a new desktop with Vista on. With regards to photos i am able to open up some files, however the most recent that were added im unable to open. It says you do not have permission. i have followed several guides that i have found on line to open these
July 26th 09 01:45 PM
by nobby999[_3_] Go to last post
2 254
Disk Defragmenter Command Line Switch? by pacinitaly
CMD prompt type: defrag_c:_-w_-v _ = spacebar this will defrag the c drive and give a full report B4 and after
July 25th 09 03:25 PM
by pacinitaly Go to last post
0 181
Hard Drive Image or Copy by Len[_7_]
"JamesJ" wrote in message ... I'm a bit confused about imaging a hard drive. I recently purchased a 500 gb external hdd. My internal hdd has only 39 gb used. Why would I create an image of the drive as opposed to simply copying the drive contents when a copy would fit on the external hdd? And if I copy the...
July 23rd 09 09:05 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
2 214
Linked folders or something like that? by Highlag
I managed to make a mess out of my "neatly" organized folders. Not sure what I did, but now Music folder contain the whole content of Documents folder. The catch is that if I erase or copy something to Music folder same thing happens to Documents folder. It looks like Music is like twin brother of Documents folder. If I understand Music is somehow linked with my Documents. How can I...
July 22nd 09 04:22 PM
by Highlag Go to last post
2 181
bat-files suddenly associated w. MS WORD - how to get back to normal? by CFScheel
I use a few .bat files to do simple chores, such as copying newly changed files to a backup folder. Suddenly these bat-files associate with MS WORD and open there instead of doing their batch work. I suspect that maybe some recent Vista updates (they come in droves) are responsible for this mess. How do I get back to normal? -- Vennlig hilsen / Best regards,
July 21st 09 03:12 PM
by Michael Walraven[_3_] Go to last post
4 197
Syncronize folder in same PC by Lio[_6_]
Hi there I've a question for you :huh: I want to have syncronized 2 folder (with my website files in it). The 2 folders are in different internal drive on my computer. Since now I syncronize the folder s manually, but with the photo album is growing in my website and there are every day's update. So I need to have this done automatically because to check every picture or every index changed is...
July 21st 09 01:26 PM
by eXistenZ[_2_] Go to last post
3 184
Move icon from everyone's desktop to one user's by It Is Me Here
Some programs automatically install themselves so that every user gets a shortcut to the program on their desktop, and deleting the shortcut by one user gets rid of it for everyone. How can such shortcuts be moved from everyone's desktop to just one user's? Thanks!
July 21st 09 12:39 PM
by coghlan Go to last post
3 209
/user/public/music folder inaccessible. by pedz
New to the forum and hoping someone can help. I am installing a program (Photo Story 3 from Microsoft). It is a simple slideshow program that wants to write to a file in C:\Users\Public\Music and it does not have permissions. This folder appears as 'Music' but when I look on my wife's computer it shows as 'Public Music', not sure why. My account is an administrator account and i went into the...
July 21st 09 02:41 AM
by pedz Go to last post
0 217
page file issue with partition? / want to dual boot win7 with vista by wiklendt[_3_]
i'm wishing to create a partition in order to dual boot win7RC with vista (home premium). i started with wanting to shrink (which i assume automatically creates a partition? no one ever explicitly says! if not, anyone got a good link i can follow?) my only harddisk (the total disk size is ~220 Gb, only 82 Gb used) to make a 50 Gb partition on which to install win7. however, i am only allowed...
July 20th 09 10:37 PM
by wiklendt[_3_] Go to last post
2 190
Shell enhancement - right clickproperties by eXistenZ[_2_]
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 Single user -------------------------- Had this a few years ago - cannot remember it's name: Right click on a folder Properties then has additional info about the size of these folders. Any help or advice appreciated
July 20th 09 02:14 PM
by eXistenZ[_2_] Go to last post
0 200
Question about Recovery Drive~ by ultamin[_4_]
I was just wondering if you can xfer files to recovery drive, then wipe harddrive to its factory condition, and still have the files? -- ultamin
July 19th 09 09:48 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post

From The