Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Search causes Vista to stop responding by Jeno
Hi I have a problem with my Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit installation on a computer with ASUS A8V deluxe mobo, AMD X2 4200+ CPU, 2 GB Corsair ram, Geforce6200 Gfx card, 3 IDE HD's, a Plextor DVD-RW and a RME Fireface 800 audiointerface. After installing everything successfully I installed AVG antivirus, and this caused a serious crash, and I had to spend an afternoon getting the machine running...
March 1st 07 12:41 AM
by smb Go to last post
6 164
Navigation Panel Empty and Will not come back by Norman
I opened up explorer tongith and my Favorite Links are all missing the ones that link me to pictures, docs, music etc. (The Navigation Bar) I tried restoring and they dont come back but if I right click and change to the folder I can get to the links but why does it say empty on the Favorit Links Folder. I would like all my links back and dont understand why they moved. I have rebooted and...
March 1st 07 01:35 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
8 143
About deleted files by Serban
I had some troubles using a program with Vista. The program installs itself in the Program Files folder, and the trouble is that it cannot save some files there if it is not run "as administrator" (although I have an administrator user.) I installed the program a couple of times in different folders and manually deleted previous folders. With the latest install I realised that when I try to...
March 1st 07 08:07 AM
by Go to last post
5 203
User-Mapped Section Open? by SF
I have a lot of gigs of music/video/pictures that I backed up on to an external USB drive before installing Vista. Now that Vista is installed I am trying to copy all of these files back...Every few seconds I get an error popping up that says: "Error Code 0x800704C8: The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open" I can check the box to "Do this for...
March 1st 07 02:48 PM
by Go to last post
1 131
RAW files and importers by nicholas hall
Most of the pictures I take on my canon EOS 350D are taken as a RAW file. The trouble I am having is that ALL the programs I use to import my picture can not see the RAW files. Once the pictures are on my computer the main part of the program can see and handle the said RAW files? At the moment I am trying out Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1. I know that the said program does not officially...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 1st 07 06:40 PM
by Bish Go to last post
12 258
Restore XP-style search behavior? by Puppy Breath
Are the Excel sheets in an indexed location, like her Documents folder. If so, it should be way easier and quicker to find them in Vista. Just click the Start button, start typing old navy And click Old Navy.xls as soon as she sees it in the Start menu. Seems unlikely that she'd have so many other file types named Old Navy that she'd have to do any more than that. But if she did she could...
March 1st 07 07:34 PM
by David W. Lovell Go to last post
4 125
Compatibility Files? by Scott S.
When browsing to a program directory (c:\program files\program name\...)only half or so if the program files and directories are listed. At the top of the window there is the usual Organize, Views, Burn tab and one called Compatibility Files. When I click on Compatibility files the missing folders and directories appear and the original ones disappear. What is this and how do I shut it...
March 1st 07 09:18 PM
by Jane C Go to last post
1 137
Offline Files Service by Mike Benton
I have spent many, many hours trying to resolve this problem... I have a new laptop running Vista Ultimate x64. I have an external drive connected to a desktop that holds all my media files (music, photos, etc.). I have my old laptop which runs XP Pro with a mapped network drive to this share with offline files enabled. It works great! I went into the control panel on my new laptop and...
March 1st 07 11:35 PM
by Mike Benton Go to last post
0 147
Font Problem!! by Nicholas Diamantides
Hi, my friend has this text in her MSN Display name "× •$30сяаzу вєаυтіғυl" (I copy and pasted this) what I want to know is what font is that, I want to make my name in that font so that some letters will be backwards and whatever. I would greatly appreciate someones help! Thank-you! -- Nicholas Diamantides
March 2nd 07 06:46 AM
by Go to last post
1 156
Error opening file by clicking it by [email protected]
I can open the file type from the program itself but when I double- click to open from Explorer I get an error. In previous versions of Windows I could mess with the 'Use DDE' and other advanced options to get it to work. I can not find those options in Vista. Thanks. Jay
March 2nd 07 12:32 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 145
File "Permissions" Problems by Vilhiem
I just built a new computer for myself and loaded the new Windows Vista OS. I installed Vista on a clean Raptor hard drive, and so far, so good. However, ... one of my secondary hard drives I put into this new machine is from my old computer, a drive in which I kept a majority of my non-application files (word documents, photos, etc.). For some reason in the past, I must have...
March 2nd 07 12:52 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 163
Disk Director update by CZ
FYI: Acronis posted an update this am. One post in Acronis's forum said it is Vista compatible. http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/updates/
March 2nd 07 01:49 PM
by CZ Go to last post
3 226
Issues with "CTRL-A" etc. by m_mihai
Hello all, I have recently installed Vista, upgrading an Win XP Professional installation. I have a big problem. "Select All" in a folder doesn't work; CTRL-A doesn't work; I cannot select multiple files using CTRL or SHIFT with the mouse. Please, do you have any ideas of what may be wrong? I have searched these newsgroups, I have not find any similar issues.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 3rd 07 03:54 AM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
14 386
Err Message: Registry Editing has been disabled by your administra by Danny
First off, I am the admin on my PC, it is not networked, and I am running Vista Home Premium. I have tried right clicking both reg editing apps to change permission, but all permission options are grayed out. I also had this problem with task manager (which I was able to fix). I did have an infection which has been cleaned (and my sister is now banned from my computer) but all fixes I...
March 3rd 07 03:59 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
6 268
File open problem by Puppy Breath
Right-click its icon and choose Open With (if you can). Otherwise, double-click it, choose "Select a program from a list of installed programs" and click OK. Either way you end up in the Open With options. Choose your program, select "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and click OK. "Suleman" wrote in message...
March 3rd 07 05:29 AM
by Suleman Go to last post
1 162
Save As and Open dialog in Office by Coloradogal
When I was using Windows XP I customized the My Places bar in the Save As and Open dialog boxes in Office by adding two folders to which I commonly saved files. But now that I’ve upgraded to Vista, whenever my mouse touches these two customized items on the My Places bar the program crashes. I can use the default items on the Places bar—Desktop, My Computer, My Network Places, etc.,...
March 3rd 07 07:19 AM
by Coloradogal Go to last post
0 180
Move 'Public' folder to another disk by Helge Arnljot
I want to move the Public folder "C:/Users/Public" to another disk (F:/Users/Public). This seems a bit more difficult than moving the regular users folders. Does anyone know how to do this ? Helge
March 3rd 07 02:31 PM
by BajaPaul Go to last post
5 178
Unable to "Select All" in Explorer (file browsing) by nuge
Hey all - I'm hoping someone can assist me in this terribly annoying glitch I've run into. For some reason, it seems I have lost the ability to multi-select any files anywhere in my system. I can not currently: - Select All (CTRL-A, or via the Edit menu) - Ctrl-click multiple files - Shift-click an array of files - or use hte checkbox option to successfully select more than one file/folder...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 3rd 07 05:00 PM
by n4yp.formator Go to last post
10 371
creating files in the system directory by Jeff McKay
I don't understand this statement - if an old application supplies its help in a .hlp file, why do you think there will be a .chm file shipped along with it? Or are you saying that Vista somehow converts .hlp files to .chm? If that is so, why when I try to view old help files, do I get a help box from Vista telling my why I can't view .hlp files? "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote...
March 3rd 07 05:39 PM
by Jeff McKay Go to last post
0 140
Things Missing From Recent Items in the Start Menu by BJLineham
Some files I access and edit regularly will not show up in the recent items section of the start menu. If I go into the "Searches" folder inside my personal folder, then go in to "Recent Documents" some of the files shown appear with a bracketed number after the file name. For example: Software Licensing.xls (48) In this case the file name is "Software Licensing.xls" and the number has
March 3rd 07 05:45 PM
by RWFrey Go to last post

From The