Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
(E) partion help. by venom762
I believe my partition E disk that contains my dell factory image is at 30.67% fragmentation.It will not let me defrag. how can I get around this? It says not enough memory when trying to defrag. -- venom762
July 7th 09 06:14 AM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
3 238
Image Date Created not recognized by growin
For whatever reason Vista ignores the true "Date Created" for an image and assigns the "Date Modified" as the "Date Created". At first I thought it was a technical issue with PaintShop Pro but the tech supported pointed out the images, after saving and then re-opened in PSP show the correct "Date Created". For some reason the date created is not recognized by Vista. This makes it difficult when...
July 6th 09 08:15 PM
by growin Go to last post
0 183
Issue With Hidden Files & Folders by Rahvasaadik
I have enabled viewing hidden files and folders. Still, some folders and files are hidden from me! Here is an example: I navigate to eMule folder, which should contain Incoming folder, but does not. I start up eMule, go to Tools and select Go To Incoming Folder and the folder opens up normally showing the files I have downloaded. This problem also exists with a game I own. I'm not able to...
July 5th 09 03:13 PM
by malew Go to last post
6 377
Another Windows Explorer Annoyance. by Cynyster[_2_]
Ok just tossing this out there not really expecting an answer. Just because its so stupid. Why in the world does vista windows explorer list files when sorted by name. Not do so in alpha numeric order Vista will list a file called 200000.jpg before it lists 4.jpg I can see what it is doing .. the number 2 comes before 4 but come on!!! 4 comes before 200000
July 5th 09 03:16 AM
by Anne Go to last post
2 225
Vista Home Premium Backup Fails (error 0x8007007B) by RhoXS
I'm running Vista Home Premium. I recently migrated many files from a computer using Linux. When I attempt to create a backup using 'Backup and Restore Center', I get the following error: "An error occurred. The following information might help you resolve the error: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (0x8007007B)"
July 4th 09 10:12 PM
by IanFerguson Go to last post
3 264
Windows Vista slow file handling with large numbers of files. by Cynyster[_2_]
Ok this has got to be one of the more annoying problems for me . Even more than the random folder view every time you enter a folder. I have a foler that collects a large number of small files for a program that I use.. Typically they are under 50k in size but often there can be close to 200,000 in a single folder. If I want to delete one it can take several minutes to delete it... It...
July 4th 09 05:47 PM
by Cynyster[_2_] Go to last post
4 289
Copying Files to External Drive by jhev
Folks, I'm running Vista32 on my laptop computer. I have a 1TB Western Digital external drive. I recently copied about 55gigs of music onto the computer, and I'm moving it to the external drive for my third backup so far. (I backup often in case of a hard drive crash). Other times, I've had no problems. This is what happened this time: I copy all files, open the external drive, create a...
July 4th 09 02:28 AM
by Parrott Go to last post
2 199
How to get the links int the left hand side of the screen after deleting them by neelu9[_2_]
Hi, I have deleted all the files in the recently changed folder which is in searches link on the left hand side of my laptop.I deleted them from recyclebin also. After that i have deleted everywhere folder in the searches but i restored it again. now i didnt find any recent pictures and recent updates.the folders remain but the content is deleted.I want to restore them. the favourite links are...
July 2nd 09 01:16 PM
by whs[_8_] Go to last post
9 255
Safe to delete? Temporary Internet Files by SilentBob
After realising how much my hard drive was full, I tried looking around what was taking all the place. After unhiding the files in "_C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows_", I was shocked to see that the folder Temporary Internet Files (_C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary_Internet_Files_) had over 46000 files, taking over 86GB of my hard drive. To my knowledge,...
July 2nd 09 11:45 AM
by Jeff Richards Go to last post
9 331
Folders disappearing in explorer by Arveene
Alright, I'm really bad at explaining things, but I'll try to be as detailed as possible. Last night, everything was working fine. Completely fine with no problems. I usually leave my computer on with no problems. I wake up this morning and this happens. I double click on Computer and I see nothing. No drives are there, no
July 2nd 09 03:59 AM
by Arveene Go to last post
0 192
Create a folder structure by Luc
I would like to see microsoft implement a folder structure creator. I have many customer and project and each of them require a particular file structure that is similar. It would be nice if we could have folder structure template OR copy existing one without it's file/document content only the folder structure will be copy. This could be merge with my previous demande to enhance the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 1st 09 12:29 PM
by No Name Go to last post
11 365
To restore deleted files, from my..searches/recently changed by neelu9
Hi, I purchased dell inspiron 1525 laptop with windows vista Home Premium. I have deleted all the files in the recently changed folder in searches and deleted it from recycle bin also. after that i have deleted Everwhere folder in search. i have deleted all the files in Everywhere but at that time i have noticed the entire items are deleted.so again i restored them to my system. Then i noticed...
June 29th 09 08:39 PM
by neelu9 Go to last post
0 229
Cannot change attribute of a folder by Jerry
A user folder (C:\Users\username) is marked as hidden and the hidden setting is grayed out. I tried to change it while logged as that same user and also as administrator, but it stays grayed out. Also tried using ATTRIB, but result the same. The owner of the folder is listed as SYSTEM, same as in case of all other folders, but only this one is presenting this strange behavior. How can I...
June 29th 09 07:24 PM
by davidjones533 Go to last post
6 211
Linked Folders in Vista Home Premium 64 by lavine43
Hi Guys, I haven't seen this one before. I have an external hard drive and I decided to move my pictures folder to the external drive, which I did. I then deleted the folder from my c:\ drive. Vista deleted the folder from both drives! I lost about 2,000 photos, since the headers were corrupted and could not be restored. Why did Vista delete both folders? How were they linked? And, how can...
June 29th 09 10:51 AM
by lavine43 Go to last post
0 151
What is this? NTUSER.DAT.COPY.TMP.LOG1 by newbie
i dont recognize this file it seems new but i cant figure iout what it is. --
June 29th 09 09:45 AM
by 9thhispania Go to last post
6 310
Allocation units by mazorj
In Vista 64 home premium SP1, in running chkdsk for C: at the end it states that there are 85,144,492 "total allocation units on disk" but the next line says there are 187,552 "allocation units available on disk". No disk errors were found. 1. What are allocation units and why are they there? 2. Does this mean I'm running out of allocation units? If 187,552 represents 0.22% of the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 29th 09 01:49 AM
by mazorj Go to last post
14 369
Cannot copy file in Vista by Howard Kaikow[_2_]
If I right-click in a directory and choose New | Text Document, or Word Document or ..., the file does not get created. Nor can I copy a file within Vista. So Vista's drop handler, if that is still the right term, is kaput. Do not recall the last time I used right-click to create a file, so I do not know when it got broken. I believe that I copied files on 19/20 June 2009.
June 26th 09 10:29 PM
by Howard Kaikow[_2_] Go to last post
1 203
Viewing photos on a memory card by browndk26
When I try to view photos on an SD card from a digital camera, I have to open a DCIM folder, then a nikon folder to see the photo files. Is there a way to go straight to the photos and bypass the other folders? Can I have the camera save the photos direct to the card and not have the dcim or nikon folder? The camera is a Nikon Coolpix S560 if it matters.
June 26th 09 08:16 PM
by Manny Weisbord Go to last post
2 217
Will not delete by johnathonozanne
please help me, i am having real trouble deleting files! It started when i deleted an old Administrator account (*not the first one made*), and i chose to delete the files. then i then came to realise that the files were STILL located in *C:\Users\,* will all the directories, ** etc. so, i then tried to delete them and was granted with the lovely " You Need Permission to Perform This Action ",...
June 24th 09 11:37 AM
by johnathonozanne Go to last post
5 240
How enter a new file type to associate by Dennis Evans[_2_]
My computer is Vista Home Basic AMD Athlon 64x2. I have received emails with .pps attachments which will not open unless I save them and open them using Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer. I have gone through Control Panel & Default Program to "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". The list of file types offered there includes .ppsm & .ppsx. If I associate one of these with my program...
June 24th 09 04:36 AM
by Dennis Evans[_4_] Go to last post

From The