Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't find back up files on external hard drive by Mjaeb
Can anyone help me? I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and set up Vista's Back Up and Restore feature so that every Sunday it automatically backs up my computer to my external drive (F:). I have been on the computer when it has stated it is starting back up and that back up was successfully completed. I assumed everything was fine until today when I was showing my dad my external drive and...
June 24th 09 03:04 AM
by Judy123 Go to last post
2 222
vista process Synchronization by gourish
my question is that how vista manages a set of processes in the memory , what kind of algorithms it uses that its performance is effective than other operating systems?:) -- gourish
June 23rd 09 01:33 PM
by gourish Go to last post
4 295
Unassociating A File Type by DrKillPatient
A few minutes ago I was using Valve Hammer Editor and accidentally associated a .vmf file with Notepad. The little notepad icon really annoys me, and I've already used the Unassoc software by Ramesh and it's done nothing. Is there any other way to unassociate the file so it opens with 'unknown application'? -- DrKillPatient
June 23rd 09 05:16 AM
by Chirag Go to last post
4 259
Need new copy of "butterfly.wav". by mrmanfam
I am using Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I had the sample video "butterfly.wav" as my desktop wallpaper. While surfing the net, I came upon a site with a jingle. From that point on, the sounds of the video wallpaper INCLUDED the jingle! System restore did not help. All my virus and malware checkers find nothing. I figure I'll delete my file and install a new one. Vista came installed so I don't have...
June 22nd 09 02:07 PM
by mrmanfam[_3_] Go to last post
5 216
Global Settings by Laurence[_6_]
Everytime I open a window I want it to open with a defined (large) size as it is most inefficient to keep resizing windows, column sizes, column type (details) and their relative position. I allways want "Size All Columns to Fit" and have them in the same order, with the same column details, and ordered with respect to Date Modified or Name. Also, I always want the files Views to be set to...
June 22nd 09 02:03 PM
by pacinitaly Go to last post
8 272
Dell factory Image by venom762
Is there a way to remove this, and install it to a flash drive? I have two hard drive c and d and a partition on c that is e and contains my factory image. How can I move this and will it still give me the option to restore it? -- venom762
June 21st 09 07:34 PM
by dinesh Go to last post
4 248
Explorer.exe does not see cd/dvd files on cold reboot by jonmil
After a cold reboot (using vista home premium), explorer does not see my cd/dvd files. It brings up "burn a disc" dialogue and asks whether I want to format the disc. Other software like Windows Media Player reads the content. Restarting explorer.exe using Process Explorer fixes the problem. Is there a registry fix, or an explorer repair I can do? -- jonmil
June 19th 09 11:54 AM
by jonmil Go to last post
0 216
File Folders corrupted by ligerd
Help please! I just transferred like 14 GB of data on a USB stick, since I had to restore my computer to factory settings. Now when I reinsert my USB drive, first, a popup says to scan and fix the disk. Regardless of whether I do or do not scan it, when I open the USB drive (view files), some of the file folders are corrupted. My file folders like My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, that I've...
June 19th 09 05:46 AM
by notechwiz Go to last post
3 225
Help with Encrypting Files onto a Flash Drive by Gudziel
Can anyone help me with a post I made in the General Discussion forum please? I've never encrypted files before, so I am unsure of the best way of doing so. I want to use a jump drive between my work PC (xp) and my home PC (vista64). Any help and suggestions would be greatful! Thank you in advance. Here is the link to my other thread in General Discussion...
June 19th 09 03:59 AM
by Jeff Richards Go to last post
8 262
Explorer Display by Bob Weber
When I select Start - Explorer, it open with the C: folder expanded to show all subfolders plus the Users folder is further expanded to the following levels: Users Owner AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows Start Menu
June 19th 09 03:56 AM
by Jeff Richards Go to last post
3 217
Backup set/backup files by TGS
I run a weekly backup using the Vista "back up files and folders" option. On my external HDD I have a folder called "Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD" which contains many individual folders called "Backup files YYYY-MM-DD xxxxxx". I am just about at capacity on my external HDD so I am wanting to delete all but the most recent backup data but I have had a quick search through this forum and it seems it may...
June 18th 09 09:27 PM
by TGS Go to last post
7 279
ALL folders are set on READ ONLY - WTF ? by korvix
ALL the folders in my vista are set to read only, which makes it impossible to edit files inside folders. Whenever I uncheck the 'read only' and close the window, it then checks it again automatically. I've tried taking ownership over a folder and files, and still the same problem. It happens to all the folders in my vista, how to solve this ?
June 17th 09 08:30 PM
by Gordon[_9_] Go to last post
7 228
File Association Doesn't Work by freshsqueze
When I try to associate a file type with an application (either through Right Click Open With or Control Panel Default Programs Set Associations) it does not work if the program isn't already listed prior to hitting "Browse" or "Change Program." I can navigate to the executable, and when I choose that program, it doesn't load in the Open With window. I simply want my Sketchup file to open in...
June 16th 09 09:25 PM
by Brink Go to last post
1 187
Don't want to display contents of ZIP files by OldGrantonian[_2_]
I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit. In Windows Explorer, the *contents* of ZIP files are displayed. For various reasons, I find this distracting. I preferred the way that XP (and earlier) displayed the file name only. Is there any way that I can switch off this feature? --
June 16th 09 08:08 PM
by Brink Go to last post
4 204
Backup Question by rq
I have a 300 gig external drive I use for backups. It says I have about 40 gigs free space. When I add the file and folder sizes that are listed, I come up with around 60 gigs. That means there is almost 200 gigs floating around that are not accounted for. Can someone give me a reason why this situation exists. It seems that a lot of space is being counted as used, even though,...
June 16th 09 07:09 PM
by Manny Weisbord Go to last post
2 177
Offline files fail to synchronize by Bob
I have my documents redirected to the server and therefore Vista has an offline copy of these files. I notice that some files are failing to synchronize automatically, but will synchronize if I manually perform it. For example: An 767KB xls file changed in Vista requires a manual synchronization. A 1KB txt file will synchronize immediately.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 16th 09 05:07 PM
by ChEBass[_2_] Go to last post
20 648
Documents folder location cannot be recreated by apurba
Unfortunately, when I moved the location of my Documents folder to driv e D, I failed to specifiy a new name (thinking that Documents would automatically be recreated). Now, when I try to go back to the defaul location, I get the error message "Failed to build the list of regular subfolders under "D:\System Volum Information" Access is denied. Is there any way to get around this? Or to simply...
June 16th 09 04:34 AM
by pacinitaly Go to last post
2 204
Documents and Settings by KEAL
Hey okay here is the deal. I am trying to make a simple mcl file for WMP so my XBOX will run a browser but I can't seem to gain access to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Media Center\Media Center Programs" as, I am finding out, access is denied for some reason. Can anyone help with this. --
June 16th 09 12:37 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 203
How to overcome rating only possible for certain file types? by stax76
My video collection consists of avi, mp4, wmv and mkv files, by default it's not possible to give a rating to all of this file types. Does anybody know how ratings are implemented? -- stax76
June 15th 09 06:17 PM
by stax76 Go to last post
1 193
Unknown contents in 'my computer' by caseyckc
hey i cant figure out what has happened but now i have what is in the -User- folder like videos,music,pictures and stuff it is now visible when i open the my computer screen. do you know why? thanks p.s i have tweakvi(free) and also tuneup2009 installed not sure if they matter but they do edit the system
June 15th 09 05:01 PM
by Brink Go to last post

From The