Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Windows Vista Search Not Working by Millbrook_Kate
I am having problems with the Vista search not showing anything at all. It shows all files are indexed but still nothing coming up. I have followed the instructions and gone to control panel and deleted the current index and then it reindexed again slowly but still never any search results in windows or outlook. please help as its driving me mad. Also have rebooted several times to no...
March 17th 07 11:07 PM
by Radiophile Go to last post
1 154
Recycle Bin by Willcam
I just purchased my Gateway desktop and was adding and deleting files when I accidently deleted my Recycle Bin. System Restore wouldn't work...what do I do to get it back?
March 18th 07 12:42 AM
by Willcam Go to last post
2 160
Corrupted avi and mpg files by [email protected]
Hey all, I recently upgraded to Vista Business from XP. On XP I ran the program "my private folder" and on their I had music videos and diary entires. Took me a while to find them but after restoring them, none of the music videos work, they all come up with the error message C00D1199 and the error code 80040265. After downloading every possible codec and programs thats detect what codec is...
March 18th 07 01:34 AM
by Danielkh Go to last post
1 195
file defragmentation by
Is it possible to run the Contig / PageDefrag tools in Vista? Are they needed? Or does Vista defragment the files / pagefile in background?
March 18th 07 10:13 AM
by Go to last post
5 236
Serious Acronis TrueImage problem by Synapse Syndrome
When restoring a system drive with TrueImage, all symbolic links, hard links and directory junctions seem to turn into normal folders! Isn't this a major problem?? How come nobody has mentioned this before?? ss.
March 18th 07 11:47 AM
by Synapse Syndrome Go to last post
8 178
SendTo Folder Location by Jack B
The only SendTo folder I can find on my C drive is in my "Windows.old" directory. I would think there is one in my Vista installation somewhere, correct? A secondary question is What is windows.old and how do I get rid of it? Thanks, Jack
March 18th 07 01:06 PM
by Dave Go to last post
1 145
Public folder by genna
I am having 2 problems with the public folder: 1. When I create shortcuts of my documents folder into the public folder, I cannot access them from another computer. But if I just create a normal folder, I can access them anywhere on the network. Is it just not possible to access shortcuts? 2. I cannot save to the public folder from my main computer (the one running Vista). It says that I do...
March 18th 07 09:34 PM
by genna Go to last post
0 149
Navigation When Saving Files, and Opening mht files from Browser by pj
Hi, I have a problem when saving files,and needing to go to the folder above for example,as there is no link to it in the Address Bar and there is no "up" buttom.What is the solution to this? Is there a way of opening a saved mht file (saved web pages) from the browser?There is no "open" option any menus in IE ? thank you
March 18th 07 10:58 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 153
Unable to remove read-only attribute from files and folders by Jacci Eubank
I've read your reply and PETER M's reply. I think you are answering the area I need help in but the answers aren't quite working. I'm trying to backup Quicken and it just won't work. When I try to BACKUP to C: , it tells me C is READ ONLY. I have tried creating new folders in the root of C, C: Users:Jacci Eubank and C:Desktop and none will allow me to perform this backup. All say that C...
March 19th 07 01:59 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 179
how to remove a file location from drop down browse list? by dropdown
When I go to change desktop theme, there is a drop down list to select file location. when I browse and choose a file, the file location is added to the drop down list. What can I do to remove/edit this drop down list? I'd like to do the same for Slide Show on sidebar.
March 19th 07 02:54 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 158
My Documents folder being emptied by cncguy2000
I am running vista RC1, I have noticed that in My Documents my files are missing.-everything is gone. did some advance searching and found ghosts and resaved them. 2 days later, they are all gone again, and now I can't find ghosts. What's going on here? Please Help before I re-install XP Pro.
March 19th 07 05:14 AM
by mj Go to last post
1 151
Windows Explorer, Renaming Folders in the Folder Pane by Benjamin Mussler
Is there any way to rename a folder in the left folder pane without having to right-click it? Previous versions of Windows came with a Windows Explorer where you could just click the folder name twice (with a short pause between the two clicks so they wouldn't be interpreted as a double-click) and Explorer would make the folder name writable, allowing you to change its name. I always thought...
March 19th 07 10:03 AM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
6 160
Auto-Expand Folders by Trini
Anyone knows, what registry key must I change to get folders at left pane in explorer auto-expand, when I click on them? Thanks.
March 19th 07 11:20 AM
by Trini Go to last post
8 185
Outlook Express .DBX file import? by EECUL43
Can anyone advise how to import messages from an OE DBX file into Outlook 2007? OL 2007 only gets me as far as selecting the folder where the .DBX file is located but then it says it hasn't found any messages to import. Help please, there is information in these .DBX files that I need! The new Windows Mail won't import the files either. Thanks all.
March 19th 07 03:53 PM
by GBorn Go to last post
4 232
My Documents folder by Thomas
When you double click on win explorer in vista ultimate by default it opens in an expanded My Documents folder.I know you can right click and collapse the folder but would prefer if My Documents does not open in expanded view.Any suuestions how to do this ?Thank You , Thomas
March 19th 07 04:40 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
3 161
File associations gone haywire by Peter
...and I can't use System restore as I dual boot = no restore available. File associations for some files have changed to either neromix or intervideo files and they should be whatever their default is. For instance: in both XP and Vista same thing. 1st two items in Pinball folder in Program files/Windows NT - at the top is Font 4kb and Pinball 907kb and they have now been associated as...
March 19th 07 08:24 PM
by Peter Go to last post
3 226
Deleting a file when ACTIVEX is damaged by dzanes
I go to a lotus notes web site for my work email. When I wen there the first time after recieving my new laptop with windows vista home premium, the activeX file did not install properly and is damaged. I am told that I need to delete a file from c:\windows\Downloaded Programs\inotes6 class. I was told this by support at my work. When I go to this directory the only option I have is...
March 19th 07 10:18 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
1 252
Saving Files to other drives denied by Robert W
I have 3 drives in my system and one is my general data drive where I keep all my personal files. Now soem programs in Vista allow me access to save files there but others won't for example Wordpad and Notepad whereas Movie Maker allows it. I am the sys admin and having checked the permissions the administrator has full access to the drive. I can save the file to the Documents folder and...
March 20th 07 01:20 AM
by Gangsta Go to last post
4 403
is there some location (c.f. [CommonAppData]) where even limited users can modify/write files? by Bob Eaton
I'm having trouble porting something to Vista because my C# assembly (in the global assembly cache) needs to have a location where it can read/write/modify a file. With Administrator accounts, it works fine, but with a limited account it can't write to the location where the file is stored (which originally was in C:\Program Files\Common Files...). I tried moving it to , but on Vista (at...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 20th 07 07:25 AM
by Dominick Baier Go to last post
15 521
Redirect of (my Documents) by Henrik
Hi In Windows Vista the desktop icon My Documents in XP is replaced with a personal icon that are pointing to the user profile ( C:\users\userid), is there a way to change the behavior of this icon so it point to the documents folder instead ( C:\users\userid\documents)?
March 20th 07 03:20 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post

From The