Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
deleting files where the filename is too long by Cool Dude
Hi, How do I delete a file where the filename is too long? If I try to delete it by highlighting it & pushing the delete button, I get this error message: The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system. Try moving to a location that has a shorter path name or try renaming to a shorter name(s) before attempting this operation.
May 10th 09 05:44 PM
by Black Baptist Go to last post
3 308
Back-Up Bump by Icky[_3_]
I backed up my Vista Home Premium x64 desktop/files to an external hard drive. I did a clean install of Windows 7, but it wasn't working the way I thought. I restored my Vista desktop with another clean install. Can I retrieve items such as bookmarks, e-mail, etc. from my external hard drive? -- Icky
May 10th 09 12:55 AM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
1 222
Cannot move a folder that I am the owner of by jroyle
Hi, I am having a problem with moving folders from one to place to another. I get a message saying "Destination Folder Access Denied" And "You'll need to provide Administrator permission to move this folder" I then get a popup stating "File Operation - Windows needs your permission to continue" I give permission, as I am the administrator and owner of the file and it does not allow me to move...
May 8th 09 08:28 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
9 255
Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer by ute
Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer Hello, The DVD writer in my notebook became defective, hence I have to send it in for repair. They told me they will have to re-format the hard drive and install the original software to be able to check the replacement DVD writer.
May 8th 09 09:59 AM
by ute Go to last post
9 269
Trouble Saving DL Files by [email protected]
I am having trouble saving files from the internet. I can not even install from files from the internet. I do a save as, give a file name, the file downloads with a download status bar displayed and then nothing. I try to search for the file and it is not saved. I have been using IE8, I installed firefox and find the same issue. I had to put firefox on a pen drive from another PC to install.
May 8th 09 07:40 AM
by Bob Go to last post
7 258
How to make folder thumbnails like XP? by pebay
Hi there, just got a new PC with Vista, and was disappointed at the new 'expandable'-looking folder thumbnails. Is there a way to make the folder appear flat and with a chosen thumbnail image (like on XP), rather than the fold-out Vista version? Thanks a lot. :) -- pebay
May 8th 09 06:43 AM
by Donald Lessau Go to last post
6 329
How to get the Vista Search to find something? by Sults
I have noticed several times, that search under Vista is not functioning properly. For instance, searching all hard drives for *.jpg files did not found any pictures from Users/username/Pictures folder. The search itself has limited functionality: it is not possible to search files created from date to date, I can not find any options how to set search pane to be always with advanced search...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 6th 09 04:23 PM
by pacinitaly Go to last post
21 593
trash can problem by bazzer86
Hi I have been having a problem when trying to restore items from trash and also when i go to empty trash. the problem is it is telling me there are less items then there are, e.g. i put in 3 avi files, there are only two there, and i cant find where the third has gone, so i can either restore the 2 or empty recycle bin permanantly to get rid of those two. But i still cant find the third. and I...
May 6th 09 08:46 AM
by bazzer86[_2_] Go to last post
2 231
FOLDER C:\Windows\winsxs 9 GB by Francisco Rugamas
Hello MVP´s, I need your help to find the way to move or erase this folder on windows vista, C:\Windows\winsxs, is too big whit 9 GB how can I move or erase this files, are necesary? thank´s
May 6th 09 03:07 AM
by Dave Warren Go to last post
3 208
How to see folder contents without clicking on folder. by ThomasAJ
By that I mean - in XP when I navigate from folder to folder using the up/down/left/right keys in the left pane of Windows Explorer the contents of the folder is automatically shown in the right pane. In Vista this is not so. I have to click on the folder or press enter. Am I missing something? There must be an option somewhere. -- Regards
May 6th 09 02:14 AM
by ThomasAJ Go to last post
0 167
The "Create New Folder" button doesn't work by OldGrantonian
When I use "Save As" in any application (for example, Wordpad), the "Create New Folder" button no longer works. (The "Create New Folder" button is to the right of the "Up One Level" button.) Same fault when I download from the internet. I cannot create a new folder "on the fly". I need to first create the folder using Windows Explorer.
May 5th 09 07:16 PM
by OldGrantonian Go to last post
0 177
cannot open internet explorer 7 web by helen
please help me find a solution to problem it is still down loaded but want open to no sites
May 4th 09 10:35 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 179
Vista and Office 7 Pro Can not read MDI files by luser2
Hi, I used to save lots of files by printing to .mdi including some serial numbers for programs I purchased. I have am MDI file from probably an XP installation some time ago and if I try to open it, it asks what format. Starting with Windows, it comes out as gibberish or programming language and I simply can not read it. I do have Microsoft Document Image installed, and I have tried to...
May 4th 09 06:19 PM
by luser2 Go to last post
1 195
Safe to delete AppData\Roaming? by mgcampbell
Hi there - new to this forum. I have a really large file under AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FileBrowser\PhotoshopCS (12GB). It appears to be temp files of some sort, but I'm not able to find anything online that confirms that. This is a stand-alone machine, is it ok to delete these files? They are seriously bogging me down & appear to be unnecessary? Any input is greatly appreciated.
May 3rd 09 09:52 PM
by Dave Warren Go to last post
1 195
Is the "Up Folder" icon gone forever? by michael
In the new Windows Explorer of Vista, I've noticed the absence of the "Up Folder" icon (the one that let you move up to the next level of the directory tree with one click). Is it gone forever? Was the functionality replaced by the "Back" arrow or the "Folders" pane? -- Michael Hockstein
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 3rd 09 02:00 PM
by cbleman[_2_] Go to last post
12 374
Can I change file association? by oldwest
I saved a file with a .odt file extension and when I send as an attachment nobody can open it. Is it possible for me to change the extension to .doc so everyone can open it? If so, how do I do it? Thanks for help. -- oldwest
May 3rd 09 12:03 AM
by oldwest Go to last post
5 216
Unable to find my microsoft word compatibility file by Sara/Sarianne/Sars
I opened a microsoft word document attachment from my hotmail account... so it opened it... so then it was a compatibility file. Then I worked on the file and instead of clicking Save As, I clicked Save. Now I cant find the file anymore. It seems to have dissapeared. :confused: Can someone please please help! -- Sara/Sarianne/Sars Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
May 2nd 09 11:39 PM
by Sara/Sarianne/Sars Go to last post
0 185
how do I cancel my windows email? by jim roncone
some how windows email is my default email, and I want to stop that. How do I do that?
May 2nd 09 08:38 PM
by Gordon[_9_] Go to last post
3 201
Desktop Icons Not Visible by ZeroCast
Hi, i have been experiencing this weird problem in Windows Vista Ultimate recently which is - as the title suggests - not being able to see any Folder or icon on the Desktop, i tried to show the icons by going to the Control Panel but that was hopeless since clicking on Apply doesn't do anything, also, creating a new Folder or even a Text Document doesn't seem to appear on the Desktop. I would...
May 2nd 09 03:46 PM
by Bob Go to last post
1 259
Windows Explorer change the default folder by Alpha7878
Hi all My question is; When I open windows explorer, the default is /user/documents Can I change the default to another folder or drive? Thanks in advance Jerry
May 2nd 09 01:20 AM
by pacinitaly Go to last post

From The