Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Windows Media Player 11.0 by MaryAnn[_2_]
I previously was able to add a toolbar to the Task Bar that was a mini-player for Windows Media Player. It was available by adding it from the "Toolbars" list. Currently it does not show up on the list of available toolbars that can be added to the task bar. How do I get back the mini-player toolbar? Thanks........MaryAnn
March 28th 09 11:01 PM
by Bookman Go to last post
1 183
Convert WD 640GB Elements FAT32 to NTFS by Bob
It's a new drive with nothing on it. I started converting it from an Amin command prompt about 5 hours ago. The LED on the drive is flashing and the Task Manager shows it's running but other than that I have no indication that it is in fact actually running. Below is what the command prompt window displays. It has not changed at all in the 5 hours.
March 28th 09 04:48 PM
by Bob Go to last post
4 218
Harddisk bad block recovery tool? by Michael Moser
My laptop's HD seems to have a major bad block. When trying to read certain files the disk always starts clicking and making strange and rather disturbing noises for about 2 minutes before the system fails and I get a blue screen.Fortunately most of these files seem to be in a directory that I only kept "just in case" anyway, i.e. there would be no major harm, if these file are lost. I only...
March 27th 09 08:39 PM
by Michael Moser Go to last post
7 277
How can I search for word or phrase in a file? by jb5qld
In XP I had my Search Behaviour set to Advanced so I could search for a word or phrase in a file .. something I may use many times a day For the life of me I can't find a substitute or a work-around in Vista. Is there a way? Also does anybody know how to retain the size of Windows Explorer; in XP holding down the Ctrl key as I clicked the X used to work, but not in Vista.
March 27th 09 06:48 PM
by Dave[_29_] Go to last post
5 267
Problem combining seperate partitions in VISTA by atomicular87
Hi I have a desktop with windows vista and windows xp installed both on SEPERATE PARTITIONS (same drive, i have a HDD of 500 GB) XP Pro is installed on C which is a ''logical drive'' and Vista Ultimate is installed on D which is a ''primary partition'', i have total 7 partitions (C, D, E, F, G, H, I) which i made using the windows installations software when installing windows XP Pro, all...
March 27th 09 07:51 AM
by atomicular87[_2_] Go to last post
2 209
file open/views/details set detail for office 2003 under VIS by ktm
I am having an annoying problem (upon file open or save /view ... I CAN'T GET TO SEE the precious "date modified" under VIEW DETAILS, even if I select it each time -- I only get the NAME Column under VISTA and Office 2003) Is this a known problem under VISTA and office2003 ?? system: VISTA Business SP1, Office 2003 SP3 -- ktm_...an IT advanced amateur yet forever novice !
March 26th 09 10:37 AM
by peter1980 Go to last post
1 245
Remove annoying scan and fix by Peter Hucker
Since XP, we don't have to "safely remove hardware" to take out a USB memory stick, write-behind caching is sensibly disabled for removable devices. But Vista is very annoyingly telling me off every time I put the stick back in. How do I turn this awful message off? -- http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com
March 25th 09 11:47 PM
by Peter Hucker Go to last post
5 204
delete and rename takes 30 seconds by jursano
I have Vista home premium. About a month ago the system suddenly started slowing down whenever I tried to delete a file(s) or to rename a file. :cry: In fact it takes exactly 30 seconds! Everything else seems to be working fine. BTW I have more than 1MB of free RAM available. Thanks, if you can help! Joe:) -- jursano
March 25th 09 11:46 PM
by jursano Go to last post
0 180
2 Program Folders in 64bit Vista by smudger1767
Hi there, Ive just changed from 32bit to the 64bit OS, and I have noticed that I have 2 Program Folders one has x86 next to it. I take it that this is for 32bit programs and the other for 64bit applications. The question I have is most of the programs are in both folders which means taken up valuable harddrive space, is it advisable to delette the 32bit folder. -- smudger1767
March 25th 09 05:24 PM
by smudger1767 Go to last post
5 208
location of Windows Media Center directory by roethlisbergerfn
Can someone tell me where the Windows Media Center directory is located? I'm trying to make a shortcut to Windows Media Center (I deleted the original one) but I can't find the Windows Media Center host file.
March 25th 09 08:30 AM
by hugomes.guga Go to last post
3 200
Sorting Folder List, Skipping the word "The" by hockyluver
Its impossible hard to search for a solution that involves the word "The." I have a directory that is made up of hundreds of DVD folders. Several of which start with "The" and I would really love to find a way to sort the folders skipping the word "The" without having to rename each folder (ie.."Dark Knight, The") So if anyone has any ideas or anything Id love to hear it. Id prefer to not use any...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 25th 09 03:29 AM
by H Brown[_2_] Go to last post
10 374
Vista SEARCH Can't FIND - Any Ideas? by Confused_in_Houston
I bought this HP laptop about a month ago, loaded with Vista (home version I guess). I'm trying to search a directory that has txt files. And Vista never finds anything there. I've searched for words in the contents of the file - words I know are there and it brings back nothing. I've searched for file-titles that I can see while I'm typing in the search term and it returns nothing. ...
March 25th 09 01:39 AM
by R. C. White Go to last post
3 169
How do I delete files that no longer exist? by BC13
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/tapout8723/grrrrr.jpg] How do I delete these files? I've been trying for weeks and it's becoming extremely annoying. Can anyone help? Please. -- BC13
March 24th 09 12:33 AM
by BC13 Go to last post
2 193
Setting drive and folder actions by nigeljohnwade
I recently installed and tried Directory Opus, decided against it and uninstalled it. It has left itself as the default action for my drives and folders, even though the application is not installed. In XP I could change the default actions for clicking a drive or folder in the file types control panel. The new file association control panel does not list drives or folders in it. Anyone know how...
March 23rd 09 10:54 PM
by nigeljohnwade Go to last post
0 170
when creating folder or deleting files explorer freezes by Richb
Whenever I create a new folder the explorer screen freezes. Nothing else freezes. I have to go to task manager and end the task. When I get back to Explorer the new folder is there. I also have the same issue when I create a desktop short cut or try to delete the desktop shortcut. When I delete a directory I get a message box stating recycling 1 item. I don't think it's my anti virus...
March 23rd 09 10:21 PM
by helenscott84 Go to last post
6 228
Vista doesn't show setup.exe on CD disk with explorer by Gary
I am using a Vista Home Premium and I am trying to read a CD made from an XP Pro Sp3 Os. I am able to see all the files on XP Pro. For example, there is a folder name at the top level. Just below that are additional folders and a setup.exe file. I can see all of that using XP Pro Sp3 in explorer. When I place the same CD into my system using Vista Home Premium, I am can only see the...
March 23rd 09 08:28 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 181
Hide linux hidden files by default. by brianstewey
Hello, Does anyone know how add a filter to vista explorer to hide folders/files that by default are hidden in linux. ie. files and folders starting with . eg (i just installed the gimp) Folder homedir/.gimp-2.6/etc/... File homedir/.gitconfig
March 23rd 09 03:04 PM
by GTS Go to last post
1 202
super super hidden directories within $RECYCLE.BIN by r0cket
Has anyone else ever found some cryptically-named super super hidden directories/files within $RECYCLE.BIN? I discovered that even empty Recycling Bins contain deleted files. I was using 7-zip's File Browser instead of Explorer which doesn't ever show them. (yes, of course I have it set to show hidden, superhidden, and system files. I also gave myself full rights of $RECYCLE.BIN using the...
March 23rd 09 12:14 AM
by Core Go to last post
2 199
Folder Display by PT[_2_]
Vista 64 bit Ultimate - Brand new user In Windows Explorer on XP Home, when a folder contains any sub-folders, the Explorer display includes a clickable box containing a plus sign, as a notice that there are at least one sub-folder. I don't see this in my new Vista display. Is this a view option to turn on? -- PT
March 22nd 09 02:16 AM
by Dave T.[_2_] Go to last post
1 190
Vista Home Basic Error 1606 %PUBLIC%\Desktop\ by DJ AK47
I've recently had Norton Anti-virus 2009 and when i went to get my live updates 3 of them wouldn't install. I wasnt too worried about this because i figured i'd uninstall it and re-install it to see if it fixes the errors. Instead of this being an easy task before it would finish updating i kept getting this error %PUBLIC%\Desktop\ i decided to get rid of Norton and use Avast because i dont have...
March 21st 09 06:35 PM
by wallstreetgeek Go to last post

From The