Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
vista search frustration by exitstageleft
I'm really trying. I really 'want' to like vista. I have an issue with searches. Sometimes I only want search to return files that start with 'rt'. Do I always have to change the search options to "Always search file names only" when I want to just find files that start with 'rt'? Sometimes I want to search inside of files for specific strings. Do I then have to change the search...
March 8th 09 11:10 PM
by Сlavik Go to last post
2 212
sendto by Anne
All the tutorials I've read on how to add items to the Sendto list involve using the sendto option at: %UserProfile%\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Sendto I don't have this folder there. See sendto attached. When I create a sendto folder in Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows, it does not work.
March 8th 09 11:03 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
9 343
won't delete by Walter Goldschmidt[_3_]
I have 2 torrent files in my download folder that I can't delete. I get this message: Could not find this item This is no longer located in C:\Users\Walt\Downloads. Verify the items location and try again. I've seen this in a previous post and it was said give it a day or two and it will disappear. Well it's been there a week now is there anyway to delete this file. I even tried in safe...
March 8th 09 08:22 AM
by Computer Wiz Without A Clue Go to last post
2 241
Explorer does not show anything by Tapani
Hi, I have the following problem with explorer: it does not show any files or directories. When I start it only white box appears. Address bar is visible and I can type / select directories but no files will appear. I have tried reverting Windows back to older state before resent updates but nothing seems to help. Does any of you have ideas how to solve the issue?
March 6th 09 06:06 AM
by Tapani Go to last post
0 193
R4 ds/dsi firmware-drivers de R4 Sdhc. R4 ultra, R4 new, R4 III upgrade, R4 v3 by Gorka
Hola,, aqui teneis una web donde encontre una recopilacion de firmware o drivers de las R4 Sdhc ,R4 Ultra,R4 New, R4 III Upgrade. R4 Dsi, R4 ui. http://www.r4spain.com/tienda Pinchas en el enlace de arriba y en la parte inferior izda haces click en el boton DESCARGAR, aparecera un menu con muchos driver para distintas R4 DS. Espero que os sirva de ayuda. Saludetes Gorka
March 5th 09 09:54 AM
by Gorka Go to last post
0 178
Dll file open with notepad by lawrence lam
How to configure dll file open with default program because i have accidentally change it to notepad.Now all my dll file open with notepad. how to change it to default. -- lawrence lam
March 5th 09 08:41 AM
by lawrence lam Go to last post
0 199
How do I apply a custom view to all file folders by drumz
Using Vista Home Premium. I found the right click - more to add/delete/sort different view columns in Windows Explorer but I need to do this to over a hundred other folders. Is there a way to do this globally? If that is not possible, is there a way to change and retain the order in the "more" list? This would make the manual operation somewhat less laborious. Thanks in advance!
March 5th 09 03:57 AM
by drumz Go to last post
1 193
Show icons, not thumbnail EXCEPT for pictures! by Arken
Hi all, As the title says, I would like to know if it is possible to deactivate the thumbnail option only for a selected type of files. The thing is that I don't want to have a preview of my files (especially my .pdf files, and when i display the folders as a list) in the document folders but I still want to see a thumbnail of my pictures in my picture folders... Am I clear?
March 5th 09 02:33 AM
by Arken Go to last post
3 229
data retrieval by Walter Goldschmidt[_3_]
I fried my external hard drive by accidentally unplugging it from it's port. Searching on the internet they want $400-$800 to recover the data. Is there any other way to recover it or maybe a cheaper way? -- Walt
March 5th 09 01:08 AM
by Walter Goldschmidt[_3_] Go to last post
7 398
How do I view file date in file open dialogs and Win Explorer by drumz
Right now the closest thing in details view is date picture taken - (since when did my PC become a camera?). I do alot of image file editing and used to be able to see what was created and when but now there is not that option in view under details. Is there a way in the registry or a tweak to change the default so that it shows file creation/edit date? Thanks,
March 5th 09 12:08 AM
by drumz Go to last post
1 206
CheckDisk CHKDSK by EWA
chi, i am running a vista basic on my laptop, and it just recently did something called checkdisk, and it made it so i cant see any of my pictures, of change anything for personalization, like the backround. And the theme isnt vista, it is the old windows 2000 theme, and i cant change that. does anybody know what happened, or how i can fix this??
March 4th 09 10:53 PM
by Joe Buck[_2_] Go to last post
5 222
when creating folder or deleting files explorer freezes by Robert Wolfe[_2_]
- I also lost the look of my Vista start button. It looks like the old XP. - Any idea's would be greatly appreciated. Change your desktop theme to something other that Windows Standard or Windows Classic.
March 3rd 09 11:06 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 696
Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room?? by Robert Wolfe[_2_]
- I started Deleting Files and cleaning space, yet my drive shows I'm - losing space?? What is going on? Are you cleaning your temporary internet files, cookies and browser cache when you do you hard drive cleanup? You also might want to check and make sure that you uninstall software that you are sure you are no longer using.
March 3rd 09 11:05 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 413
Vista file saving problem by Robert Wolfe[_2_]
- hi, - i hav a strange problem, i have Vista business with sp1 installed, i cannot - save any of word / excel/ppt (off 2007) files or web files. - if i modify existing files, then i can save but cannot use "save as" to give - different name or location. - plz help.. What is the error message that you are getting?
March 3rd 09 05:59 AM
by Monia[_2_] Go to last post
1 212
New Send to by help[_2_]
How do I add an new SEND TO using Vista. There used to be a send to folder in the Windows directory but it does not seem to be there any more.
March 3rd 09 02:38 AM
by Brink Go to last post
4 202
Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room?? by Robert Wolfe[_2_]
- Sorry, a OEM (ex: HP) brand computer may have a feature to create - restore points in their Recovery Manager program. You will need to look - through your computer's documentation for how to use or disable it. - I've never heard of such a thing. Never. Have you got a cite for it? At this point, I would recommend contacting your vendor or visiting their website as they would probably...
March 3rd 09 01:13 AM
by Joe Buck[_2_] Go to last post
1 192
Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room?? by Robert Wolfe[_2_]
- If you have a OEM computer, then it may also have a OEM recovery - mananger program that is also creating it's own restore points on the - recovery partition. - WHAT? For instance, if you buy a new computer from Dell or Toshiba these days, there will be 2 partitions on your hard drive. One partition will be used by the OS and the other will be a "hidden" partition that the OS uses to...
March 3rd 09 01:11 AM
by Joe Buck[_2_] Go to last post
1 219
Windows main executable has stopped working by BMWBMW
Everytime i startup vista and log on a message pops up saying Windows Main executable has stopped working. I close these tabs down and it does not appear to effect my laptop in anyway. Does anyone know what this message means and how to stop these tabs from popping up? Regards
March 3rd 09 12:18 AM
by gjelvis1 Go to last post
7 247
File associations in Vista by PeterBBailey
I can't associate particular filetypes with the programs I want in Vista. It doesn't work using Explorer, nor does it work with the Control Panel defaults mini-program. In either case, when I browse to the program I want to use and click OK, that program never shows up in the list. I want to associate all my ..txt text files with "Textpad," my favorite ASCII editor. I've done it for 12 years...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 2nd 09 07:49 PM
by excille Go to last post
10 431
Same File Name Copy/Paste by PrismPast
I backed up all of my music onto an external before getting a new motherboard... some of my music was restored for me by HP when I sent in my computer, however some was not. I am trying to copy and paste all of my music folders into an iTunes folder. About 3/4 of the files share the same name and rather than manually go through and copy just the ones that arnt there yet i am trying to copy and...
March 2nd 09 09:39 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post

From The