Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
where are files downloaded from IE automatically saved to? by Nick
Here's the deal: I downloaded a Word document from my gmail account and edited it. When I was done with my edits, I closed Word. The program asked me if I wanted to save changes to the file, and I said "yes." Word then closed. Only then did I realize that I had not saved the file to my personal files. This has happened to me with previous versions of Word, and I've always been able to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 1st 09 08:44 PM
by Joe Buck[_2_] Go to last post
11 372
create a virtual drive with subst by Dick Swager
Back in the days of XP I used to create a virtual drive from the command prompt (or a bat file) using the subst command. And in fact I can still do that with Vista (that is, I can access a virtual drive created with subst from the command prompt) except that the virtual drive is not displayed in the Windows Explorer. So the virtual drive exists but the explorer does not display it. I...
March 1st 09 06:21 PM
by Dick Swager Go to last post
0 276
file permissions: can this be done? by bobob21
Hi To limit the effects of a potential virus, I want to do the following for the Limited User account: 1) all current files and folders in My Documents can only be read. Contents of files may not be modified. No items may be deleted 2) however..... new files/folders may be created in My Documents. These user should have Full Control over these files.
March 1st 09 03:57 PM
by bobob21 Go to last post
0 222
Changing "Downloads" location by Tom[_23_]
So I wanted to change the "location" of my \User\Downloads folder (link?). I changed the loaction in the Properties dialog. Instead of simply adjusting the pointer, it RENAMED the destination folder to "Downloads" and it appears to now be a "link" or something, and the original folder is not there (not visible anyway). Now I want to undo what I did, but I can no longer rename the ...
March 1st 09 03:04 PM
by Tom[_23_] Go to last post
0 204
cant detele nonexisting torrent file icon from start menu by sicmetalhead
I need help guys!I have an empty torrent file that shows up on my start menu when I search it. I try to delete it and Vista doesn't let me. I get this message *"This is no longer located in c:\users\my cpu name\appadta\roaming\utorrent. Verify the item's location and try again."* The problem is that the actual file doesn't exist on my computer any more but it still shows up when I search for it...
March 1st 09 03:30 AM
by Joe Buck[_2_] Go to last post
7 332
Vista recovery drive....... by rahulait
Hello frieds, Someone told me that if i format my vista and if i did not have a a recovery drive , then i might not be able to use the same key again .... I have installed a vista business at my pc and i want to create a recovery drive so that i can recover my activated files from there. So can someone help me in letting me know can i create a recovery drive backing up only my c:\ drive which is...
February 28th 09 10:04 PM
by DL Go to last post
1 203
Vista Windows.old import by Robert H
I recently upgraded my MOBO and had to reinstall Vista. the windows.old folder is present with all the goodies in it. Is there a way to How do I import the files and settings into the new Vista install. the "Easy Windows transfer" tool provided in Vista doesn't do it. MS has procedure to restore from Vista back down to XP using the windows.old file: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168/
February 27th 09 08:36 PM
by Robert H Go to last post
0 195
"Restore files" fails on disk selection by ken
(this first posted on Vista General, but no responses there) I am using Vista Home Premium 64 Sp 1 on HP s3500f. I used DVD-RW to backup using Backup and Restore Center. When I wanted to restore a couple of files, I could only get so far. Here's what's happening...
February 27th 09 06:22 PM
by ken Go to last post
0 215
Deleted file reappears on desktop by jweil_2000
I'm running Vista Home Basic on a non-networked desktop computer. A music file I had on my computer was repeatedly re-installing itself onto my desktop, even after I had moved it to another folder. It would stay in the old folder, but copy itself (I guess) onto my desktop. So I deleted the file from all locations and emptied the recycle bin. This file still repeatedly re-installs itself...
February 27th 09 02:19 PM
by Stareena Go to last post
1 194
"new folder" doesn't show until F5 is pressed? by lecisco
I'm finding some strange behavior in windows explorer. If I have a folder open in Details view, right click in the main pane and select New Folder, a new folder gets created but does not appear in the explorer window yet. I have to press F5 to refresh the page for it to show up. In XP doing this would not only show the new folder immediately but put the name in edit mode so I can type its...
February 27th 09 02:04 PM
by lecisco Go to last post
0 175
Search not working properly by Mikee99
Hello everyone, I have recently discovered a very strange issue with the index search in Vista. For some reason, which I cannot explain, tagged searching for images are no longer working for me. They will simply not show up at all in the search. If I add a tag to a word document, it will work fine, however. I have tried re-building my index several times, and items still refuse to show up...
February 27th 09 11:23 AM
by wassy Go to last post
1 215
can't delete file by Jiøí Cvrk
hello, Wista B32, NTFS, latest updates installed. After yesterday "chrome browsing" I have one file on my desktop named "Josef Ziemer", I tried to see its photo exif, or something else.. This file has length=0 and on the security properties bar notices "information not available". Attempt to delete ended with notice "can not find". Notices are my poor translate from Czech version of Win Vista,...
February 26th 09 04:51 PM
by Jiøí Cvrk Go to last post
1 199
dissapearing screen by Leo Kline[_2_]
I am surprised that no one has respondded to my post of 2/19 on "unstable screen". Maybe I chose a bad subject line, but this characteristic in my new vista program where the worksheet in Excel amd other programs just vanishishes is a very real problem that I need to solve. Can anyone help?
February 25th 09 05:47 PM
by DL Go to last post
3 223
System Restore Error Message by MaryAnn[_2_]
I have a Dell Inspiron 530s purchased 5/08. I upgraded from Vista to Vista Ultimate. I recently tried to install the Windows 7 Beta and received a message that it could not identify my drives and I could not download the program. I tried to do a System Restore and received the following message: There was an unexpected error in the property page: The Volume Shadow Copy Service used by...
February 25th 09 05:18 PM
by Ray Luca Go to last post
5 273
Forgive me asking this a second time but..... by tophy
Forgive me asking this for a second time but how is Microsoft recommending I view KHz (sample rate) on my audio files?
February 24th 09 09:31 PM
by digimaton Go to last post
8 333
Need folder size utility- what is taking up so much space? by Bikini Browser[_3_]
Hi yall! I'm looking for a free utility that will show me at a quick glance which folders are taking up most of the room on my hard drive. I have a 146gb hard drive almost full and I can't tell for the life of me what is taking up so much space. Can anyone recommend something that works for both Vista and XP?
February 24th 09 07:52 PM
by Michael84[_2_] Go to last post
5 279
File association by rickf
Not sure what I did, but now when I try to open a program, Adobe reader opens. All the program icons on the desktop show Adobe. Only way to stop it was uninstall adobe. Don't see anything in file associations to change it. Reinstalled Adobe and it did the same thing even after I cleared Adobe from the registry. Can anyone tell me how to keep all the programs trying to open with Adobe...
February 23rd 09 10:25 PM
by rickf Go to last post
2 208
offline file question by mikebo
I have a laptop with Vista Business and a dektop running XP SP3. Since I travel frequently, I had set up a foder on my desktop, let's call it "synch", and I store all my files that I might need on he road in that folder (and subfolders). I then had connected to that folder from my laptop and "made the files available offline". This worked really nicely. Then we moved, and IT found it...
February 23rd 09 07:47 PM
by mikebo Go to last post
0 203
Filing System Mess - Vista by Margy
Certain folders were moved to the E: drive on PC i.e. Documents, Music, Video, Pictures. All was well. User name is Louise. Client then took notebook home and in trying to make space on her C: Drive moved Favourite, Desktop, Links to Documents. Then to move Links back is was done via Properties and now Links has Replaced Louise. I have no idea how to rectify this. I hope I have explained the...
February 23rd 09 12:17 PM
by Margy Go to last post
0 213
Display Adobe pdf properties in Vista by aorechwa
Vista does not display any properties (e.g., Title, Subject, Keywords) of a pdf document in either the details view of Windows Explorer or in the details pane. Is there any way to customize by editing the Registry to cause these properties to display in Windows Explorer? Thanks for any suggestions/assistance. -- aorechwa ------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 23rd 09 09:58 AM
by MartC Go to last post

From The