Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
can't access temp folder under user profile by alving
Hi I cannot access TEMP folder under user profile, or even access any file in that folder. It says the folder is corrupt. I tried to run ccleaner, however that didn't fix it. Could someone please suggest how I can get rid of this folder and start a new one Thanks - Av
March 31st 10 09:58 PM
by alving Go to last post
0 415
Destination Folder Access Denied by mattaustin
Trying to delete a folder that I downloaded from a file-sharing network, and keep getting this message: Destination Folder Access Denied. Reading the posts on the subjects gets me way over my head. I checked the properties and am just not understanding how to change ownership and/or permissions. Any help for a novice? I just upgraded to Vista Home Premium. The folder is a J. Garcia/D. Grisman...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 30th 10 09:00 PM
by Sanjay Jain Go to last post
11 952
Windows 7 / Vista file lock? by JohS
Hi. I have been XP user of my PC (only me using this PC) with admin. privileges. I have always used two similar installations (one on C:\ and no. two on E:\ (then with the biggest partition in the middle as D:\ for my 'Desktop', 'Favourites', 'Document' and backup)). This has been a very good way for me to always have a total failure free installation to work on (I can delete the...
March 30th 10 04:59 PM
by Jonathan King Go to last post
2 511
Windows 7 / Vista file lock? by JohS
Hi. I have been XP user of my PC (only me using this PC) with admin. privileges. I have always used two similar installations (one on C:\ and no. two on E:\ (then with the biggest partition in the middle as D:\ for my 'Desktop', 'Favourites', 'Document' and backup)). This has been a very good way for me to always have a total failure free installation to work on (I can delete the...
March 30th 10 04:08 PM
by JohS Go to last post
0 430
Problems with the Vista Backup and Restore Center program by Robert Miles[_2_]
I've noticed a few problems with the Backup and Restore Center program that comes as part of Windows Vista. 1. It's found BOTH under Accessories - System Tools and under Maintenance in the main menu. Only one of these is capable of handling backups large enough to require formatting at least three DVD+RWs. If the list of previous backups is currently empty (for example, because the main...
March 30th 10 03:05 AM
by Robert Miles[_2_] Go to last post
0 378
Problems with the Vista Backup and Restore Center program by Robert Miles[_2_]
I've noticed a few problems with the Backup and Restore Center program that comes as part of Windows Vista. 1. It's found BOTH under Accessories - System Tools and under Maintenance in the main menu. Only one of these is capable of handling backups large enough to require formatting at least three DVD+RWs. If the list of previous backups is currently empty (for example, because the main...
March 30th 10 03:05 AM
by Robert Miles[_2_] Go to last post
0 462
Compressed (zipped) folders error by Ralph
I've recently bought a new computer and upgraded to Vista. I have numerous files backed up and encrypted with password protection. WHen I try to open these files I get the Compressed (zipped) folders error and a message that WIndows cannot complete the extraction - destination file could not be created. Also extraction error 0x80004005: unspecified error appears. How can I open these...
March 29th 10 03:39 PM
by Joseph Dignam Go to last post
3 749
How delette files without muliple OK's? by ~hp-hdx~
Hi, I have a new laptop with Vista home premium on it. I can not delete files like I could in XP. Every time I delete a file, a box comes up with a bunch of choices in it. One is "as Administrator" or something like that. Clicking on that a few times deletes the file. I have been unable find out how to make it work like XP. Can anyone tell me how to do this? It would save me a lot of time and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 28th 10 08:28 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
14 1,028
Windows Search service won't start by Brad
I am having a terrible experience with getting the "Windows Search" service to start/run. I would greatly appreciate advice/suggestions for finding a "fix" for it. Here are the details so far. Similarities to previously mentioned "Windows Search" service problems: When I attempt to start the "Windows Search" service manually, I get an error message box which says: "Windows could not start...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 25th 10 10:34 PM
by Rayond Go to last post
16 1,199
Windows 7 My user folder is invisible by Kevryl
Hello all, Somewhere there HAS to be a Windows 7 discussion group, but it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere in the Microsoft discussion groups tree. Someone in here may be able to help or at least point me to a Win 7 discussion group. I have just bought 2 identical machines with Win 7 installed. My user account is there on both (libraries documents right click properties) immediately...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 25th 10 07:49 AM
by Kevryl Go to last post
24 1,406
How delette files without muliple OK's? by ~hp-hdx~
Hi, I have a new laptop with Vista home premium on it. I can not delete files like I could in XP. Every time I delete a file, a box comes up with a bunch of choices in it. One is "as Administrator" or something like that. Clicking on that a few times deletes the file. I have been unable find out how to make it work like XP. Can anyone tell me how to do this? It would save me a lot of time and...
March 24th 10 03:40 PM
by ~hp-hdx~ Go to last post
0 411
My favorite links are gone... by Raphi14
Hello everyone, Because of that horrible Norton Antivirus, i had to sent back my new PC (asus F5R) to the PC dealer, who reinstalled (forgive my english, i am french :-D) Vista and all the other things. But when i got my PC for the second time, the favorite links had disappeared : they are (empty). I have to precise that i ask them to put the Pictures, the Documents and the Music on D:...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 24th 10 02:38 PM
by ROOPS Go to last post
17 1,080
Downloaded file is gone! by bananamilk20
241 okay..so i was trying to play a private server maplestory and when i download the private server, it shows that picture of the two people on the corner and then in a matter of seconds, it will disappear! I looked online and someone told me to turn off my UAC or something..so i did..but no change. Does anyone know what that picture in the corner symbolizes? And how
March 22nd 10 11:19 PM
by bananamilk20 Go to last post
0 412
Windows 7 My user folder is invisible by Kevryl
Hello all, Somewhere there HAS to be a Windows 7 discussion group, but it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere in the Microsoft discussion groups tree. Someone in here may be able to help or at least point me to a Win 7 discussion group. I have just bought 2 identical machines with Win 7 installed. My user account is there on both (libraries documents right click properties) immediately...
March 21st 10 04:05 AM
by Kevryl Go to last post
0 400
File associations not responding in Vista Home Premium by anna
I can not associate htm and html files to Front Page 2003. When I try to Open With, point through the files to find FP03 program file, it will not associate with html or htm. It instead changes to an Internet Explorer file. It is strange. I think I need to set all associations back to default for programs and start over. Is there a way to do that? Is there a Microsoft utility to manage...
March 20th 10 01:58 PM
by anna Go to last post
0 456
File associations not responding in Vista Home Premium by anna
I can not associate htm and html files to Front Page 2003. When I try to Open With, point through the files to find FP03 program file, it will not associate with html or htm. It instead changes to an Internet Explorer file. It is strange. I think I need to set all associations back to default for programs and start over. Is there a way to do that? Is there a Microsoft utility to manage...
March 20th 10 01:58 PM
by anna Go to last post
0 361
File set to read only by Finnie
Hi all I have an Access 2003 app that is set to compact on exit. This fails because the origional directory (a sub directory of Program Files) seems to constantly re-set the Read Only flag. How can I get over this? All my other machines running XP dont suffer from this problem Thank you Fionnbarr Kennedy
March 20th 10 12:05 AM
by Michael Walraven[_3_] Go to last post
2 497
Can A Hacker Steal My Files If I Don't Share Any Folders In Vista File Sharing? by john ha
Hi, I accidentally left my router unsecured for a couple of hours. I also left my laptop on during this time, connected wirelessly to the unsecured router. My question is, can a hacker in my apartment complex who really wants to, connect to this router and hack into my laptop's hard drive and steal/transfer files? I have not shared any folders.
March 19th 10 07:28 PM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
1 346
File set to read only by Finnie
Hi all I have an Access 2003 app that is set to compact on exit. This fails because the origional directory (a sub directory of Program Files) seems to constantly re-set the Read Only flag. How can I get over this? All my other machines running XP dont suffer from this problem Thank you Fionnbarr Kennedy
March 19th 10 03:21 PM
by Finnie Go to last post
0 387
Recover hard drive files by MarcooO
Hi all; I have a divx reader with hard disk connected by a wireless network to my PC: while I was renaming some folders the network went down and the folders become files, so now are unreadable. Now, when I connect the network drive, in the left column I have 8 folders (instead of the 10 that I had before) and two files of 0kb. Before this problem these two files were two folders...
March 17th 10 03:44 PM
by MarcooO Go to last post

From The