Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Reverse Sort Order Views
Still Can't Delete a file by Justin[_5_]
Windows Vista Ultimate 64. I right click and hit delete on a file and I get Item not found This is no longer located in C:\Users\Justin\Downloads verify the items location and try again. The file is a MS Word docx, downloaded from my college's Blackboard system. I booted into safe mode (under the admin account) and ended up with the same message. I was told this could possible be an issue with...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 14th 09 02:38 AM
by Justin[_5_] Go to last post
18 669
Problems with Vista backup program by No Name
I've not been able to complete any file backups successfully for about two months. Some of the error messages suggest that I need to tell my antivirus program to stop interfering with accesses to wherever the list of previous backups is stored - but so far I've had no success finding out just where that is. I have found that a program C:\Windows\System32\sdclt.exe seems to be responsible for...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 31st 10 01:39 AM
by No Name Go to last post
18 2,962
Confused about \[username] folder by yopumpkinhead
Hi all, I just got Vista and am still learning how it works, so please forgive me if this is a simple question. I noticed today when installing some of my software that my folder does not show up when browsing in C:\Users\. The only folders there are Default and Public. My folder is accessible under "Desktop" in the Explore menu, but it is not in C:\Users. Why not, and how do I put it back?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 15th 09 10:14 PM
by yopumpkinhead Go to last post
18 913
Unable to save files on memory stick - keep getting Error 0x800700 by Bootsja
I am using a brand new Sony Microvault 1GB memory stick USB with windows vista. I am unable to save any file on it either using save, Save as or just dragging it over, except .jpg. So word Escel etc. I cannot save. I get Error 0x80070052 Is there a simple solution I can't see? Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 18th 10 06:11 PM
by Rusticdave Go to last post
18 1,247
Word docs moving around on desktop by teleute
I have a couple of Word docs on my desktop (which is exactly where I want to keep them, so let me derail any suggestions of storing them elsewhere...*g*). I have them along the right side, where I want them, but every time I have them open to edit, and save the document, the icon moves itself over to the first empty spot on the left side of the desktop. I just want them to stay where I put...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 21st 09 02:41 PM
by teleute[_3_] Go to last post
18 360
Cannot delete file by minnow52
When trying to delete a file from a folder, it says "The action can't be completed because the file is open in another program. How do I find out what program is running that file?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 24th 09 11:12 AM
by Mikeesp Go to last post
18 1,246
Shortcut broken after moving file by bonv
If I create a shortcut to a file and then subsequently move the file, the shortcut no longer works (error message: "The item ... that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.") When I do this on my XP-Pro machine, XP will generally find the moved file and update the shortcut; if it can't find the file, it will give me the option to browse...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 7th 09 12:43 AM
by No Name Go to last post
18 703
Merging two drives into one? by It Is Me Here
I've just got my new computer (Windows Vista Ultimate) and despite it coming with just one hard drive (if I'm not mistaken), when I open Computer, it displays two different hard drives: "OS_Install (C:) " and "New Volume (D:) ". Anyway, how, instead of working with this bizarre set-up, could I "merge" C:\ and D:\ into one hard drive (in Windows Explorer's eyes, at least) so that I do not...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 6th 08 08:31 PM
by Brink Go to last post
17 473
By-pass Vista file restrictions. by Dr. DOS
Vista Business Professional I want to by-pass all restrictions to file access. No more "access denied" when looking at "documents and settings." No denial of access to others in the workgroup. I want an open LAN. I am quite frustrated going through 13 steps for security permissions and ownership just for the principal user (me)(administrative permission) to look at or modify a file or...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 25th 08 08:53 PM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
17 686
Originals of deleted/renamed files persist, like zombies by Larry Sabo
Bump! I can't believe nobody else is having this problem? =================== I have a number of files I have deleted or renamed but the originals all come back after going into standby (possible under other conditions, too). I'm using Vista Home Basic, have UAC turned off and always run as Administrator. (So, shoot me! I have off-line drive images and critical file backups). I've Googled the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 9th 07 11:32 PM
by Larry Sabo Go to last post
17 207
Files downloading - Not showing up?? by Amber
I have tried to download programs (such as a ringtone maker) and also music and I am able to download them, or so I thought ...but once the download box goes away the file is not on my computer and I am not prompted to do anything else. The box pops up that says would you like to run or save this program, and I have tried both neither seem to work.I have not had a problem with this in the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 1st 08 07:10 AM
by Zach Go to last post
17 391
Could not find this item by Tim
I'm trying to delete a folder that contained a wmv file... I deleted the file and the folder's empty but when I try to remove the folder I get the following error: "Could not find this item... This is no longer located in C:\users.... Verify the item's location and try again." The folder shows up in search and of course it appears where it was originally placed... I did a reboot and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 18th 10 05:08 PM
by gluteus.maximus Go to last post
17 2,601
My favorite links are gone... by Raphi14
Hello everyone, Because of that horrible Norton Antivirus, i had to sent back my new PC (asus F5R) to the PC dealer, who reinstalled (forgive my english, i am french :-D) Vista and all the other things. But when i got my PC for the second time, the favorite links had disappeared : they are (empty). I have to precise that i ask them to put the Pictures, the Documents and the Music on D:...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 24th 10 02:38 PM
by ROOPS Go to last post
17 1,079
Windows Search Won't Start by Nevet
I can't get Search running. Attempting to manually start the service yields this Search error message: "Windows could not start the Windows Search on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code -2147218141." Any ideas?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 17th 07 02:20 AM
by Brad Go to last post
17 358
Navcancl / ieframe.dll - Solution by Marshall Kiam-Laine
Problem : ie7 refuses to open after Installing update KB 931768 Solution : find C:\program files\ iexplore.exe right click and "Run as administrator" After ie7 has opened : Tools\options\Advanced - Disable Pfishing. should be ok now - but of course be extra Alert for any Fishing emails.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 5th 07 10:58 AM
by Hiawatha Go to last post
17 290
Low on Disk Space by barbara
I keep getting the "Low on Disk Space" message. I looked through the threads and found "many" posts with the same problem. I tried all the suggestions (hibernate, disk space for restore, etc.) but, still get the message. Since there are so many of us with this problem, could there be a more global "fix" from MS? I checked the files used on my D drive for backup and it only takes up 7.67GB...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 19th 07 09:22 PM
by barbara Go to last post
17 349
MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working... by Mills Architect
Once the Indexing function of Vista is complete, I find that if I have my Outlook2007 (OL) open for more than about 10-15 min, I get the message "MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...". Once this happens, my e-mails will usually not be available. Also, Calendar, Contacts, etc. True, all you have to do is close out of OL and reopen. But it will be short time then The Message shows...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 18th 07 07:54 PM
by Dave Wood [MS] Go to last post
17 288
open command window here ? by Ole1701
Hi. In XP it was possible to install a Power Toy (I think), so you where able to right click on a folder in your explorer and then a menu called 'open command window here' would be showed. How do I do this i Vista Buisness ? Kind Regards Ole
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 16th 07 07:38 AM
by Go to last post
16 353
Old XP Indexing vs New Vista Search by bvandew
In the new Vista search implementation, what is the significance of the "Index this drive for faster searching" checkbox on the drive Properties dialog? This checkbox has been there since XP or before. Does this have any bearing on Vista search? --Bruce
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 24th 07 08:15 PM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
16 301
Repeated file & file moving by John T
Hi, I am using Windows Vista RC1 64-bit edition. I am trying to move my personal files to where they are stored on a non-boot hard drive (I know that this can be done in XP) somewhere allong the line I really goofed up and so I decided to get things back the way they were. I have everything back now exept that the "Desktop" folder is reapeated (there are two of the same folder) and when I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 7th 07 06:49 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post

From The