Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread Reverse Sort Order / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
(E) partion help. by venom762
I believe my partition E disk that contains my dell factory image is at 30.67% fragmentation.It will not let me defrag. how can I get around this? It says not enough memory when trying to defrag. -- venom762
July 7th 09 06:14 AM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
3 238
(Save as) Download Window by Zardoc
When you download a file, most of the time the (save as) window has a new feature in Vista that hides the folder view. You can click a button on the lower left hand side to show folders. My question, Did you find a way to have this window show folders all the time as default and is there a way to have the size of that window stay to the size that you adjusted (bigger)?? :confused:
August 4th 08 06:17 PM
by Zardoc Go to last post
2 303
(Vista 64-bit) Can one somehow "dump" a program's memory (e.g., firefox or chrome) to a file and load after closing a program? by wdonnell
The real problem stems from my headphone jack intermittently not responding (hardware-related, yes). And thus this relates to buffering videos and me being too lazy to reload them wasting additional time. -- wdonnell ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wdonnell's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/wdonnell.htm View this thread:...
November 7th 08 03:06 PM
by wdonnell Go to last post
0 484
*Critical* Do you have PerfectDisk8 Installed? by Ronnie Vernon MVP
Greg Hayes from Raxco Software has posted the following information. Raxco has discovered and reported to Microsoft a bug in volsnap.sys that can (if conditions are right) cause corruption and loss of the partition. Raxco has just released PD8 Build 50 (SP4). With Build 50, Raxco has coded around this issue with volsnap.sys. If anybody is running PD8 on Vista, please be sure to update...
February 4th 07 12:51 PM
by Jason Go to last post
2 209
...desktop photo.... by ragin and pissed off
I had a picture I had taken set as my desktop.. what happen to it?... I turned on my puter one day and it was gone... and now I cant upload any pics I have on file to my desktop.. why?
November 14th 07 12:22 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 336
.bat Default Program by Raymond
I had to edit a .bat file so I changed the default program to run .bat files to wordpad. Under the file association, the previous default program was listed as "Unknown Application" so I don't know what to change my file assocation back to in order to run the .bat file. Can someone tell me what the default application should be to run .bat files OR tell me how to remove the file association...
June 6th 07 12:07 AM
by Jane C Go to last post
1 182
.dll Files by lufcboy
Please help - all my dll files have been ::Associated with internet explorer and keep openining in a loop - how can I put this right???:: ::With thanks:cry::: :::: -- lufcboy
December 1st 08 09:15 AM
by lufcboy Go to last post
2 317
.doc files by doormatt
A window use to pop up and warn me with a little square box? Always ask me before performing this procedure. Some how that box was checked and now when I open a .doc file, that window has been totally lost. How can I go back on my p.c. and make that window pop up again and warn me or it says always do this before opening this type of file.
November 26th 07 02:58 PM
by doormatt Go to last post
0 200
.exe associated to wordpad by RR
unfortunately my .exe files are associated to wordpad (open with...) and now my very expansive vista 64 is totally useless! Any idea how to reset association on .exe files? .exe is not included in control panel/file associaton thx
May 15th 08 05:32 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
1 275
.mdb files in Vista Business by RHill
Hello Support Group I have MS Office 2003 Professional installed on my Vista Business laptop. The .mdb files on this PC cannot be moved to another PC or Shared Storage Directory on our Network and be viewed or edited with any other PC / Operating System when the file is opened with another PC using MS Access 2003 it opens up empty or blank. I also tried E-mailing the file to a programmer for...
May 7th 07 08:20 PM
by RHill Go to last post
0 105
.NET Framework 3.0 Configuration by Raji Arulambalam
Hi Is there a Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Configuration tool in VISTA? I want to see and manage the assemblies and code groups etc. I've installed the SDK TIA
February 1st 07 06:48 PM
by Tom Porterfield Go to last post
3 149
.NET SP1 (KB951847) will not install by OldGrantonian[_2_]
I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit. After doing a repair install, I had about 30 windows updates to install. All updates installed successfully except the following: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
June 1st 09 03:20 AM
by pacinitaly Go to last post
3 234
.ods and .odt file extension associations by Liz
Anybody familiar with these file extensions and what program it takes to open either?
February 26th 08 11:16 PM
by Bob Go to last post
2 344
.pst files from backup to outloook by Pam
I'm running winmail on vista but also have outlook 2003 installed. My .pst files from the old computer are on a DVD. How to get them to outlook? thanks (windows blocked popups from its own site).
May 12th 07 01:57 PM
by Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] Go to last post
1 225
.sql files not understood as text by Explorer preview pane by rasqual
Frustrating. The preview pane in Explorer won't show SQL file contents. Where do I tell Vista that SQL files are readable text? Argh.
January 11th 07 06:06 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
4 227
.tmp files created when using off-line folders by Mimar
Hi I have Vista on my laptop, and use off-line files to synchronise with a workstation running XP. I have found numerous .tmp files created through my file structure. This did not occur when I synchronised using a laptop running XP in the past. Any suggestions please? -- Many thanks, Mimar
April 25th 08 02:30 AM
by Mimar Go to last post
0 194
.txt file questions by shakchau1
1. is there a way to determine the history of a given .txt file (how was it created, what application, when, was it changed or converted to something over time, etc.) for example, whether the file was created from a MS word, NotePad, WordPad, etc etc, whether the format was changed?? 2. determine the log history of a file's timelines (e.g., for a given file, there's a time stamp that shows...
August 14th 07 08:07 AM
by vanilla Go to last post
1 207
.txt Files always open minimized by Ribeye
My .txt files always open minimized no matter where I execute them from. Then I have to dig around my task bar(which always pops up and covers the tiny little sliver of the top of the notepad file). Anyone know why this happens? Very aggrevating to say the least. Thanks....Eric
December 16th 07 07:05 PM
by brink[_2355_] Go to last post
5 296
.wav files no longer recognized by Squa190
My computer no longer recognizes .wav files In the window to set a program to open types of files .wav isnt even listed as a choice. Any Ideas?? -- Squa190
September 1st 09 05:14 PM
by Squa190 Go to last post
4 300
.xls file dumped out of existence by PhilNotVeryHappy
With Vista Ultimate I had Excel 2000 (who can afford an upgrade?) dump a file I was working on - would not let me save it. Since closing down Excel the file has simply vanished from my hard drive. There are no shadows, no .tmp files, no backups, nothing in the rubbish bin, no hidden or system fiiles - it's as if this file never existed. I have never experienced such a clinical dumping of...
February 8th 08 03:46 AM
by PhilNotVeryHappy Go to last post

From The