Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Icons change to white by bob b
I have noticed that several short cuts I have added to the top of my "start" menu have turned into just plain old white letter icons and have lost their distinctive icons. Is there a reason for this and can I get the icons back? Thanks in advance. Bob
January 21st 09 04:39 PM
by Azure[_3_] Go to last post
3 287
Cant backup to apple time machine by taehC
Does anyone know how to backup to an Apple Time Machine? I clicked backup files, then selected "on a network." I typed in \\192.168.1.xx\Time Machine and tryed to connect. It said I needed a username and password, but I have never needed a username for it... Anyway, I used "admin"(i also tryed using another possible username but got the same error) for username and my password, and i got...
January 21st 09 11:38 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
3 384
Vista error C0000221 by dagsky
hey all , i hope i can get some help with this problem that has just started. Pc was working perfectly when i left it and then came home and my sis said she just tried to use the pc and it came up with this blue screen and error message. The message was Stop: C0000221 Unknown Hard Error \systemrrot\system32\ntdll.dll I googled the error and there are no definitive answers to the problem. I have...
January 21st 09 02:05 AM
by dagsky Go to last post
2 282
outlook 2007 by Wiolf Meier
I ouse outlook on my PC. I just purchased a laptop (with Windows Ultimate) and I want to copy my outlook files to the laptop. Does anyone know how to do that?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 20th 09 07:05 PM
by Mike Torello Go to last post
10 626
How can I merge C:\ with another partition? by MadBull
Hi, I'm one of those people who thought it would be a cool idea to partition 20GB for Vista out of a 320GB hard drive for "aesthetic" reasons. Now I'm falling back on this idea because my programs are installed ona different drive letter and do not show up on the Program Files. On top of that, if I get a virus or some sort of anoyying malware, formatting the vista partition does NOT make my...
January 20th 09 06:56 PM
by Mike Torello Go to last post
1 286
System Restore VSS problems. by jedeco
I have a restore point created each night as a scheduled task and they all finish successfully but don't always show up as a choice in system restore. (I start the system restore process just to see my restore points, is there a better way!?) and sometimes the one created won't show up, or all of sudden one day is missing and it's not the oldest date, but the second or third newest. Today i...
January 20th 09 02:18 AM
by jedeco Go to last post
0 311
Explore to Open Folder Too Slow by niladri
I use VISTA Business. When I use My Computer - Explore - C:, (from left panel), the folders under C:\ does not show up immediately like XP. It takes long time for the folders to appear on the left panel. How to make the folders appear immediately?
January 19th 09 09:15 PM
by Frank Holman Go to last post
6 347
Search partial file name by gamerguy
Where is the setting on Vista which lets you change your search settings, so that you can search only part of the file name, and the file will come up. Someone changed it on my dad's computer, and I have been looking for about an hour, and I still can't find it.
January 19th 09 02:30 PM
by Retroman Go to last post
5 383
Grooming Windows Vista backups by Marc Hoffman
Hi all... I'm having problems with a client running Windows Vista backup. Their external backup drive to which Vista is backing up data is filling up. Is there any way to tell Vista to "groom" the data, removing older data to keep the drive afloat? Or, is there way to have Vista completely reset the entire backup set on a regular schedule? Thank you!
January 18th 09 10:07 AM
by CGA Go to last post
6 425
Path too long by Thomas[_8_]
I have some files (mp3) with very long filenames. I cannot use them (move them, rename them etc.) Any idea what to do before deleting them?
January 18th 09 03:58 AM
by Tom Ferguson Go to last post
5 345
unable to open any items from RUN command by dinesh
Hi everyone, I m trying to open anything from RUN command like msconfig, services.msc, gpedit.msc, diskmgmt.msc etc... it gives an error saying that i do not have the sufficient permission to open the file. I m the administrator user. It used to open fine till yesterday. Also when i open system properties to create a system restore point, it says that the system restore creation is disabled by...
January 18th 09 03:38 AM
by R. C. White Go to last post
7 269
Long file names=off, dir name with repetitious char like (50)length. ""Search will not work in that dir "" by pzam
I have long file names turned off on my system as it helps speed up things. I don't know if that is involved but I noticed if I create a directory in vista ultimate sp2 and make the dir name a repetitious char that search goes brain dead. example (1111111111111111111111111111111111111111,) (dir1.htm) (dir2.txt)
January 17th 09 04:04 PM
by pzam Go to last post
0 267
can't get attachments from e-mails to open by dehefner
When I recieve e-mails with some attachments I can't open them I get a message tat says "set attachments" I have a Dell Is 531(the free one from Frontier Telephone Co.):):confused: How do I set atttachments? I need exact instructions as I am a novice and a "retiree"!:cool: Help please. -- dehefner
January 16th 09 11:42 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 292
Files appear in reverse alphabetical order by Michae S
All my files and folders, whether in Word, Excel or PowerPoint, appear in reverse alphabetical order (e.g., when I click the "Open" button on the standard toolbar, the dialogue box opens, but all the files are listed in reverse alphabetical order). This just occurred yesterday, and I have no idea what cause it. Help?
January 16th 09 09:35 PM
by Peter Foldes[_5_] Go to last post
5 407
Locking a folder but allowing someone to save a file by layperson
Is there a way to lock a folder so that it cannot be accidentally or intentionally moved but at the same time allow people to save files to that folder? -- layperson Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
January 16th 09 12:31 AM
by layperson Go to last post
0 291
Does Vista use a file system when burning CD's that XP can't read? by 98 Guy
If files are copied (drag'n'dropped) to a CD-R while using Vista, are those files accessible if the CD is put into an XP machine? I've heard of some first-hand accounts where this seems to be the case. Does Vista use a file system on burned CD's or DVD's that XP can't read? If so, does Micro$oft provide a driver for XP to be able to read them?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 15th 09 11:02 PM
by Adam A. Wanderer Go to last post
26 965
Managing External Hard Drive - "You'll need to provide administrator permission" by Opethian
Hello everyone. I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help me in this predicament. Ever since I shifted to Vista, it's been a very different experience compared to XP. It certainly feels a lot more stable and faster (believe it or not!), but productive-wise, I find it a tad too protective. Off to my issues. The first one being an issue regarding using an external hard drive. I have a...
January 15th 09 05:11 PM
by Peter Foldes[_5_] Go to last post
7 463
January 15th 09 04:00 PM
by roman modic Go to last post
1 305
windows update problem by Robert A Ely
When I click on the windows update notification icon in my task bar or the windows update pointer in my start menu it brings up Windows Explorer highlighting my C: drive. Can I fix this? and how?
January 14th 09 06:19 PM
by Robert A Ely Go to last post
0 219
Want to Move /User and /Program Files folders by [email protected]
I want to prepare an existing setup for solid state drives. I want to make my C: drive as read only as possible. I would like to move the contents of /User and /Program Files off of the C: drive to new empty drives and mount point these to the new drives. I believe that I need to do this while booted from either a maintenance partition or a recovery boot of some sort. I have a few questions I...
January 13th 09 02:01 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post

From The