Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
How to select Favorites in Windows Explorer by josephguerra
How can I set and access favorite explorer links, such as c:\program files, c:\downloads, and etc. Otherwise I have to navigate to them from My Computer.
May 10th 07 01:24 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
5 190
library by Greg
i dont see and add a folder to media player library
May 10th 07 01:46 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
1 148
How do I customize folders with images,colour etc? by Julian
Anyone know how to edit desktop.ini (or otherwise) to either a/ Set a background colour b/ Change the text colour of file names, properties etc. c/ Apply a background image in explorer windows? IconArea_Image/IconArea_Text either don't work or they need different header information from the old XP examples...(which I think I have tried accurately
May 10th 07 03:20 PM
by Julian Go to last post
0 134
Sort by Type. by Niraj
Hi everyone! I'm running Vista Home Premium and have a couple of questions in terms of the organizing of files in Vista. By default all files are sorted by name which is fine, but in a few folders I want them to be sorted by type. In some folders, this is possible, and in others the option to sort by type doesn't appear. Why is this? Another thing in which I've noticed about Vista is that...
May 10th 07 03:26 PM
by Niraj Go to last post
0 174
Cookies Location by JamesJ
I have a program to remove unwanted cookies. Cookies that I think should show up in the list of this program don't show up. Where does Vista store my cookies?? Thanks, James
May 10th 07 03:31 PM
by patsy Go to last post
5 147
viewing a shared Vista outlook calender from an XP Machine by BLRenfro
We are using a Microsoft windows network The boss has his schedule recorded in outlook on his VISTA machine. His calendar has been shared to his staff. However the staff are running XP machines with outlook 6.0. We would like to view a shared vista outlook calendar from an XP machine. I am wondering if the calendar in Vista can be set to use XP compatible files. Bart
May 10th 07 09:29 PM
by BLRenfro Go to last post
0 157
Importing MP3's into Vista by Brad & Jan
Just got a new system, and Vista won't recognize any of my music files to add to my new machine. I've tried adding from a disc, as well as from my portable player, and in both cases it does not 'find' any music tracks in either source. Any advice?
May 11th 07 12:05 AM
by John Shaw [MSFT] Go to last post
3 542
File Open window lacks file dates by ausearch
In Vista Business, the File Open windows on all? apps now lack a column for file dates. I am now unable to sort files by dates - all I have is names. This happened recently, probably a setting somewhere - Would appreciate some help - Thanks.
May 11th 07 02:57 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 157
the folder of WINDOWS\assembly of WinXP can't be copied in Vista by tuyequn
There are two OSes installed in my computer, one is XP, the other one is Vista . 1. Under Vista: I Logon the Vista OS by administrator accounts , When I copy the folder (the XP's windows dir ) "d:\WINDOWS\assembly" to anywhere, an error happened . “the file 2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a can't be found in the path of d:\windows\assembly\GAC_32\System.EnterpriseServices” And, when...
May 11th 07 03:48 AM
by tuyequn Go to last post
0 150
customize "Send To" Command by MIDDLECHAMBER
Instead of drag and drop method of moving/relocating files of folders, how do you add a location to the "send to" command box. I did it before with previous MS OS's, but it I can't figure it out with Vista. I'm sure it's there, but it's escaping my feeble mind.
May 11th 07 06:29 AM
by dean-dean Go to last post
4 158
Old files by Dabuggy
Hello... i was wonder as to how i would get my old files from the windows.old file to be added to my computer as before.. but they seem stuck int he folder.. i can take them out but they dont work.... can someone plz tell me as to how (w/o reinstalling) i get those files back to working functionality. also i play World fo Warcraft.. so when i attampted to open it with it's launcher it...
May 11th 07 07:42 AM
by dean-dean Go to last post
1 159
Deleting file(s) by MagneX
Vista Ultimate When deleting files, the only option I have is to permanently delete them, dialog asks: "Are you sure you want to permanently delete these n items?" This happens regardless oof using Shift-Delete or ordinary Delete. I have also checked the property settings of the recycle, Custom size is clicked (and have a big size allocated), i.e. "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove...
May 11th 07 08:23 AM
by MagneX Go to last post
0 147
Big Problem with Vista - Please Help! by Keith
I have all the usual difficulties with Vista and can deal with most, however, as a photographer, I am lost without the basic functions which help me organize my tens of thousands of photographs. Can anyone please tell me how with Vista, I can..... 1. Add a filmstrip view to my options as the "extra large" thumbnail icons are too tiny to be of use. and Most importantly
May 11th 07 09:29 AM
by Donald Lessau Go to last post
4 193
File transfer XP to Vista by mkeyesmd
The order and naming of files were changed when I did the transfer. Why did this happen? What will happen with mail merge if the merge document location is changed? Thanks. Marshall
May 11th 07 01:47 PM
by mkeyesmd Go to last post
0 153
Default JPG file actions by DBYurtoy
The default jpg action from Explorer is OPEN with less than 15 files, but PRINT with 16 or greater. How do I fix this?
May 11th 07 09:27 PM
by DBYurtoy Go to last post
0 158
File associations by DBYurtoy
Two related issues: If I select any program except Photo Gallery to be the default program for JPGs, the option to OPEN WITH is no longer available if I select more than 1 file. Second, if I select 16 JPG files to open in my program, the default Explorer action becomes PRINT rather than OPEN. At 15 JPGs, the default remains OPEN. How do I fix these problems?
May 11th 07 10:16 PM
by DBYurtoy Go to last post
0 161
Vista Loses Docs Bought Online, Cost Me $100's and Time! by BozOtt
I'm a long-time PC User and recently retired app support manager. A few weeks back, I purchased a new laptop (specs below). Even though Vista was available by then, I almost purchased a machine with XP Pro as Vista was still pretty much a newborn o/s. Then I thought about my experiences with moving to XP, which had been uniformly positive, both in my job and at home, and I took the leap...
May 11th 07 10:53 PM
by Jupiter Jones [MVP] Go to last post
6 167
Finding user's Contacts folder programmatically by Skip Bremer
A user can change where their Contacts folder (and other user folders) is located by accessing the folder's Properties and going to the Location tab. For my programs, I use the CurrentVersion - User Shell Folders key in the Registry (via the CSIDL API stuff) to determine where dedicated folders are located. But the Contacts folder is not part of that key's data and I don't think it is listed...
May 12th 07 03:38 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 211
Favorites Folder Redirected and now not working by MarkyMarc43
OK, not a serious issue, but definately an annoyance. I have redirected all my folders to my D:/DATA drive to prevent losing any information in the future. This includes my Outlook Data files as well as my Internet Explorer Favorites Folder. The problem, is that now, there are no Favorites in IE 7, nor can Adding to Favorites work. How can I undo this? Thanks in advance.
May 12th 07 07:05 AM
by Neil Harley Go to last post
7 194
.pst files from backup to outloook by Pam
I'm running winmail on vista but also have outlook 2003 installed. My .pst files from the old computer are on a DVD. How to get them to outlook? thanks (windows blocked popups from its own site).
May 12th 07 01:57 PM
by Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] Go to last post

From The