Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Newbie - File Transfer Question by PT[_2_]
I plan to transfer my life from a WinXP Home computer to a Vista Ultimate 64 bit computer. I've already reinstalled several programs (Office, Adobe Acrobat, QuickBooks, etc.., but no data files or anything else. I plan to use a "Vista Compatible Easy Transfer USB Cable" and its associated software. Q1. What are possible problems, traps, etc.. Q2. Using this software, what ends up on the...
January 2nd 09 02:38 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
2 419
Restore problems with my acer aspire 5920 by Cliffyboy
Hi, I am trying to re-install my 5920 with recovery disks that I have for the laptop after a major problem I had yesterday. I cannot access the pc at all. After running the rescue disks, right at the end, I get an error message saying 'Restore failed - reason 0xd0000001e. Click OK to restart the computer'. Clicking OK restarts the pc but as it can find nothing I am at a complete loss as to...
January 1st 09 06:33 PM
by Cliffyboy[_2_] Go to last post
2 360
Seeing All File types when Saving a file by jkiser
I have a problem that appears in the MS Office 2007 applications but I suspect it is a Vista issue.....hence my post here. I am saving a new Excel file to a directory and I want to give it a similar name as a text file that already resides in that directory. However, when I "Save As" the Excel file in the selected directory, the only other files I see in that directory are other Excel...
December 31st 08 03:33 PM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
9 452
startup window size by Anne
Is there any way I can increase the size of the System Configuration/Startup window. I would like to make an image of it's contents using PrtScr and my image editor. thanks, anne
December 30th 08 12:05 PM
by Anne Go to last post
0 298
You need permission to perform this action by nicksez4
For the past couple weeks, I've noticed that some of the files I try to delete claim that I don't have permission to delete them. First of all, all of the files on my computer have been installed on the only account currently on the computer. Second, I have full administrative rights, so there should be no problem deleting files from anywhere. I'm completely stumped on how to get rid of any of...
December 30th 08 10:54 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 367
Combining User Accts on Vista Home by breenan
Due to using mulitple user names, I have a lot of key data spread all over my 'C' drive (for example archive to pst files in one user, live pst files in another; pictures spread across users; key documments spread across users; and so forth). Am looking for simplest way to collapse all data into one Administrator userid. Also, while I see Admin user and can get into it using explorer for 'C'...
December 29th 08 11:25 AM
by Anne Go to last post
7 426
STOP Vista automatic folder expansion in Win Explorer? by jackmccarron
I often want to move files from right pane of Win Expl to a different folder shown in the left pane. However, as I drag the file into the left pane, if I'm not "right on" the folder I want, the folder under the mouse will quickly expand. This "loses my place" and I have to collapse the expanded folder and try again. Frustrating! There is a slight delay before the unwanted folder opens, but not...
December 29th 08 04:08 AM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
2 433
Wont Let me log into anything by pavo21
Ok so here is my deal, like i cant download or install anything my friend made and accoutn on his computer and now its randomly password protected. dont knwo the password and its on an admin account u cant do anything to change it cant install any programs to change it. is he screwed does he ahve to reformat. cause the profile hes on doesnt allow him to do anything. help please. -- pavo21
December 29th 08 02:25 AM
by senn[_2_] Go to last post
1 347
File search/delete in Vista is hopeless by Nick Payne
1. I try searching for files in a directory structure with .de. in the filename by entering .de. in the search field in Windows Explorer. I not only get files with .de. in the filename but also files whose names don't match the search string, such as mozart-hrn3-defs.ily or decimal.py. If I use quotes (".de.") as the search string then it correctly finds only .de. files. Why should the...
December 28th 08 10:41 PM
by Retroman Go to last post
2 449
How search for a file that contains (3) in the title? by bsharp
I am trying to locate files that have (3) in their title. But when I search for (3) in the search bar, it returns any files that have 3 in the title, and ignores the parantheses. I tried quotes, but that returned nothing. Just to be clear, I want this search to find a file named "Johnson file (3)" but NOT a file named "123 Main St."
December 28th 08 09:49 PM
by Dave[_29_] Go to last post
1 359
Public folders problem! by Blue24
Okay, I don't know what I was thinking when I did this, but all the folders in my Public folder are gone. Deleted and emptied. Now I can't change the names on any folders (but I can on files.. I don't know if this is a different problem) or install anything. Is there anyway to get these back without reinstalling Vista? I don't want to really lose all my files (I also deleted my backup so I could...
December 27th 08 10:35 PM
by Blue24 Go to last post
0 330
Vista indexer eating up HDD space by pknowles
I have a 100GB partition that I keep Vista Ultimate x64 on with all my installed programs. It normally only takes up roughly 40GB of the 100GB. Yesterday I got a hard drive full warning and I cleared restore points to recover some space. Using WinDirStat I found that the folder "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles" has 36GB worth of...
December 27th 08 01:54 AM
by On Request[_2_] Go to last post
2 373
Changing MIME's type in Windows Vista by Hierome Gautier
Hey Guys, Does anyone knows how to change MIME's type in Windows Vista? I knew how to do it with XP, but to be honest, I'm kinda lost with Vista. Thanks for your help, guys, And Merry Xmas to you all. Hierome
December 25th 08 09:24 PM
by Louie Kapp Go to last post
7 380
using comments by Gail C
New user here so I apologize if this has been answered somewhere that i have not yet found. In XP one could add comments that meant something to the user about the file. It is available but most all files don't present a "summary" tab as was available in XP. In Vista SP1 how does one access the function to save a comment about the file .- I copied most of my files from the old desktop...
December 23rd 08 10:44 AM
by Gail C[_4_] Go to last post
4 436
System Check Points question by niapet[_2_]
Hi all, I was wondering.. is there any way to move the location vista uses to store system restore checkpoints? I have vista installed to its own 30 gig partition and the restore points clutter up the breathing room really fast... I have another drive with 150+ gigs free and i would like to use that to store the check points... otherwise i have to delete all of my restore points ever few...
December 22nd 08 11:24 PM
by niapet[_2_] Go to last post
2 320
Windows Size by Martin Racette
Hi, In the past few weeks most of the windows will not keep either size and position in the screen, nor will they keep the way they are suppose to be viewed, they were keeping it since I installed Vista. I can no longer use the restore system, since it has been too long since the problem started, I thought that a simple rebooting as it used to work, would this time around, but it did not....
December 22nd 08 12:17 PM
by Martin Racette Go to last post
9 456
Windows Search not working correctly by Shaom2005
Since reinstalling Vista and having done all the updates and let the index run fully using the defaults, I've discovered an issue which is rather odd. If I do a search for a file from the Start Menu's, Search box, I get 'No items match your search'. If I do the same search from Windows Explorer I find the file immediately! Any ideas how to solve this?
December 21st 08 01:39 PM
by Shaom2005 Go to last post
0 283
User file collapse by Norwood1
Whenever I look for a file using Vista explore, as soon as the file tree opens, the "user" file is always open.  This takes up a lot of room.  I always have to manually collapse it in order to see all the other files and drives easily.  My question is:  Is there any way that I can make the default that the "user" file is closed when Vista explore opens the file tree? ...
December 20th 08 08:44 PM
by Norwood1 Go to last post
0 312
"Send To" options by Avi
On right-click on a name of file or folder in the explorer there's a context menu item titels "Send To" how can I add programs such as Notepad to the list? Avi
December 20th 08 07:28 PM
by Brink Go to last post
3 317
working with folders by Roe51
with the vista version, I cannot find out how to close open folders. Need help!:confused: -- Roe51
December 20th 08 05:17 PM
by Joe Buck Go to last post

From The