Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread Reverse Sort Order / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
.xps files default to Firefox :-) by Daniel Noll
I've recently noticed that whenever you double-click an XPS file, it opens in the default web browser, i.e. Mozilla Firefox. As there is no Firefox plugin the browser than asks you to save the file. Pretty amusing, I thought. On checking the file association, .xps files are associated with "XPS Viewer". Yet they open in Firefox anyway. :-) Workaround is to bind them explicitly to IE, but...
June 26th 07 07:55 PM
by digihippie Go to last post
7 266
.zip error message - Source Path Too Long - How do I unzip my file by Jill
I have a compressed file that is nested(?) 5 times over - meaning I have to click on one file after another five times to reach the information/pictures that I want - and I can't get the compressed file to open because when I click on extract the system says that the "source path too long". How do get this file unzipped so I can view the pictures? Vista tells me "The source file name(s) are...
March 29th 08 11:33 PM
by RichardS Go to last post
4 154
/user/public/music folder inaccessible. by pedz
New to the forum and hoping someone can help. I am installing a program (Photo Story 3 from Microsoft). It is a simple slideshow program that wants to write to a file in C:\Users\Public\Music and it does not have permissions. This folder appears as 'Music' but when I look on my wife's computer it shows as 'Public Music', not sure why. My account is an administrator account and i went into the...
July 21st 09 02:41 AM
by pedz Go to last post
0 218
0x80070050 error by jafthor
does anyone know why this is happenning or what can be done to fix it
October 9th 06 01:41 AM
by Larry Go to last post
1 958
0X8007045d by Jay
045dI'm having problems that have only started occurring within the last few hours Setup Vista ultimate C:\ 160Gb Sata F:\ 750Gb Sata G:\500Gb IDE Copying files larger than 200 MB from 'G:\' to 'C:\' any location on the
March 4th 08 01:20 PM
by Jay Go to last post
0 266
0x80070570 error message when deleting by marvin[_2_]
I didnt see anything regarding an error (code 0x80070570) when deleting a file. I have some video file I copied to my computer that have names that are too long I think. Anyway whe I try to delete them I get tha above mention code, sayi they are dammaged or unreadable. How can I delete them from my hard drive?
August 29th 07 04:36 AM
by malignant_inamorata Go to last post
1 293
1 user Adm. 2 Desktop, Twin user, Programms jumping: by fritz[_3_]
Fritz: hello. Vista Home 32 Pre installed. E Machines R.click.Start.open. Top: users-App Data-roaming-microsoft-windows-Start menu Folders Desktop 32Items ------ Fritz ''''''''' Computer Windows C fallowed by a long row of folders like (yellow) Documents
November 24th 07 01:54 AM
by Barry Haigh Go to last post
3 190
10 R4i Dsi, Drivers Firmware, R4 Dsi nintendo Dsi 15957 by r4idsi r4i
Firmware - Driver para R4i Dsi, R4 Dsi. Nintendo Dsi. http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_firmware-drivers-nintendo-dsi-r4-i-upgrade_1214985 saludos ^yDlr?X
April 11th 09 07:43 PM
by r4idsi r4i Go to last post
0 250
15GB of unknow space used? by Bob
Hi, I've both Vista Ultimate and Enterprise installed independently from each other in virtual machines. Ultimate also has Office 2007 and the used C-Drive is 10.4 GB Enterprise has nothing additionally installed, yet its C-Drive is 24 GB!! Both machines have been Disk Cleaned (with sageset set to remove
September 24th 07 06:45 AM
by Ken Zhao [MSFT] Go to last post
6 187
17 file recovery apps tested in x86 Vista on a nuked SD card by a.k.a.[_2_]
Dear Forum, I am reposting these test results under a much clearer thread title, so that people who come trawling the search results with a file recovery need will spot this info more readily. The original problem was he http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management&sloc=en-us&mid=90f5985a-07be-4579-ac68-ec15029e9f3d As...
February 1st 08 02:45 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
3 604
2 Partitions on HDD - want to combine the amd have 1 Big partition by Lee
This is a 2nd HDD I have, it's "E" and "F" ("C" and "D" are my main HDD - C has the Vista OS On it.) This HDD is already NTFS and had a buncha music and video files on it for partition 2 (200gb) and partition 1 was the OS (100 gb) Now I upgraded PC and have OS on another HDD totally. This one was put back in, and I formatted the "E" partition in Vista, by right clicking drive and clicking...
April 22nd 08 11:21 AM
by usasma Go to last post
1 198
2 Program Folders in 64bit Vista by smudger1767
Hi there, Ive just changed from 32bit to the 64bit OS, and I have noticed that I have 2 Program Folders one has x86 next to it. I take it that this is for 32bit programs and the other for 64bit applications. The question I have is most of the programs are in both folders which means taken up valuable harddrive space, is it advisable to delette the 32bit folder. -- smudger1767
March 25th 09 04:24 PM
by smudger1767 Go to last post
5 208
2 undeletable folders in start menu by Violent Ken[_11_]
strange problem here folks. i tried installing a program tonight (creation manager 08 for FIFA 08) and it won't run in 64 bit vista or under compatibility mode. OK so i uninstall. NOW there are 2 'CM08' folders in my start menu i can't delete. they have no 'delete' option when i right click, and when i explore or explore all users in the start button, the folders aren't there. is there a hidden...
December 9th 07 05:47 PM
by Violent Ken[_12_] Go to last post
2 164
2.5Gb ISO DVD Image will not burn in Vista...Also, weird file problems on striped drive by Edward C. Otto III
This is actually two questions that may or not be related, which is why I am posting them both under one topic. Downloaded (from sun.com) the latest SPARC DVD image of the install. 2.47Gb later, Vista wrote the file to the target (a srtiped drive 170Gb in size, SCSI). Now the file will not burn because Nero claims it's not an image file... And that's AFTER it forced me to update to the...
November 24th 08 02:48 AM
by mansrm81 Go to last post
1 283
20gb file but where by Alan
Hi everyone Im using a samsung NP-R40 laptop with C drive 50gb and a D drive with 50gb. My computer is running very slow and when it comes to using internet it seen's to just stop halfway through loading a page. Someone told me that if my C drive is full or has a lot of data on it that could cause the problem. So i set about reducing the files i have on my C drive by deleting...
October 19th 07 01:08 PM
by peter Go to last post
1 155
20gb on hard drive but where? by Alan
I have two 50gb drives on my laptop one is empty and one has 47gb showing. My documents has about 24gb there are a couple of gb on all the other files but there is over 20gb i cant find. Any ideas anyone Regards Alan
October 2nd 07 07:55 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
3 174
2gb xd card and vista by Martyn[_2_]
has vista got a problem with 2GB xd memory cards? Just bought a new card which wors fine in my camera and I can cu and paste from the card onto my pc via a card reader into a usb slot. BUT when I try and paste data onto he card it wants to format the card. This would be ok except it wants to format the card at 1GB when the card is 2gb. I bought the card primarily to play in an electronic...
May 10th 08 08:04 PM
by Martyn[_2_] Go to last post
0 259
2nd Post: Recycle Bin for Network Folders by Colin
If I should post this to another newsgroup, please tell me. I notice that if I select a network location for a system folder (Favorites, Documents, Pictures, etc.) it adds those to the Recycle Bin list of protected folders. This is great! Is there a way to manually add other network folders to be protected by the Recycle Bin? I saw back in Vista RC 1, there was a Network tab in the Recycle Bin...
January 6th 08 01:14 PM
by Colin Go to last post
0 181
3xQ - "New Folder" button?, "- Shortcut" suffix, Preview bug? by Julian
Vista HP 1. Is there any way to restore/create a New Folder button for Explorer windows... (why on earth did they take it away???) 2. How can I tell Vista to stop adding "- Shortcut" to shortcut names? (aaargh!) 3. Bug? (or oversight!) Shortcut to an image produces an image in the Details pane, but I get "No Preview Available" in the Preview Pane
June 26th 07 12:32 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
7 269
40+gb microsoft intellipoint folder clones user directory? by sjg[_2_]
I am running windows vista and I came across the folder C:\\program files\microsoft intellipoint, which was over 40gbs. I opened the folder to find a clone of my own user folder, complete with all my documents and music. deleting a music file in this intellipoint folder proceeded to delete the file from my user folder. Is this normal? What exactly is going on?
May 18th 08 02:50 AM
by Justin Martin [MSFT][_2_] Go to last post

From The