Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't change permission to "full control": Access is Denied. by sean56a
Hello, I am trying to free up a bunch of files that I royally stuffed up. I originally attempted to restrict access to a folder tree. When I tried getting access to them using my administrator password, however, I was denied. I am able to take ownership using my Administrator account (takeown /f in the command prompt). But when I give all the accounts and groups Full Control in the security...
November 24th 08 05:22 PM
by sean56a[_4_] Go to last post
9 337
The disappearance of local disk (D:) after full system recovery in Vista Home Premium by Killborn
Lesson learned the hardway: After accidentally deleting a number of bios settings, and receiving an error message that read: Your Operating Sytem is missing., when simply trying to change the boot sequence order of my OS, I reinstalled Windows Vista Home Premium with the OS disk and the apps. and drivers from the recovery disks I had made shortly after purchase. I was not aware that running this...
November 24th 08 06:53 AM
by Killborn Go to last post
0 273
2.5Gb ISO DVD Image will not burn in Vista...Also, weird file problems on striped drive by Edward C. Otto III
This is actually two questions that may or not be related, which is why I am posting them both under one topic. Downloaded (from sun.com) the latest SPARC DVD image of the install. 2.47Gb later, Vista wrote the file to the target (a srtiped drive 170Gb in size, SCSI). Now the file will not burn because Nero claims it's not an image file... And that's AFTER it forced me to update to the...
November 24th 08 02:48 AM
by mansrm81 Go to last post
1 283
Accidentally changed user folder to drive. Help? by Crowzah
Hello everybody! (names for things might be different in English. Sorry if I confuse) I just got Vista Ultimate x64 on my system, and I've been changing the placement of the user folders to my secondary drive, because I want to keep the main drive as a system and application drive, and not a media/document drive. This worked nicely (I even followed a tutorial here to change the icons!) until i...
November 23rd 08 10:29 PM
by Brink Go to last post
3 339
How do I Prevent Access of certain Folders on External USB drive by ceohotmail
I wish to prevent access to certain folders on the extrenal drive , in such a way that among 3 computers it is only accesible from one. for a scenario: "MyDocs Copy" should not be accesible while the music/pictures should be note all systems users can be admin/standard account so setting Admin access only - serves no purpose.. as it is external and accesible from other pc, where someone else...
November 23rd 08 07:38 PM
by rive0108[_19_] Go to last post
1 299
vista bug? shortcut to junction by [email protected]
Hi, I'm trying to move c:\users\...\pictures to other place. I created directory d:\pictures, than I created junction from c:\users\... \pictures to d:\pictures. It works fine until I logout. When I login again shortcut "Pictures" in "Favorite Links" in file open dialog don't work, and it's icon is blank. This works fine with windows xp. If I create directory d:\testdir, than junction from...
November 23rd 08 12:16 PM
by Charlie[_10_] Go to last post
1 261
Problems searching for, renaming or deleting files in windows expl by scblues
When I try to search for a file in windows explorer, the window stops responding after I have typed the first letter of the search name. When I attempt to delete a file a window appears saying "Calculating time remaining" this just hangs; attempting to close the message window causes a message "cancelling" to occur in the message window but it continues to hang. The explorer window becomes...
November 22nd 08 01:51 PM
by rrader Go to last post
5 326
Recycle Bin on External Drives by Ben Enfield
I deleted a number of files on a removable hard drive and now realized that I would like them back. I was wondering whether there was a recycle bin in removable drives and how I would undelete the files? I am running Vista Ultimate RTM. Ben
November 22nd 08 11:46 AM
by intexity Go to last post
2 339
User folder icons behaving oddly by Omnicloud
These are not the folder icons inside the User folders, but in the folder called 'Users' itself. A picture is a thousand words: http://i36.tinypic.com/2ujtje0.png] Album art appears on my user folder, but the other user folders remain using the generic folder within folder Vista icon. I've tried all icon settings on the folder with the art but it remains the same no matter what.
November 22nd 08 08:46 AM
by Omnicloud Go to last post
0 329
Where are my Recent Places? by Julian
It's always empty... anyone know what's wrong/how to make it remember something At the moment, I could employ a goldfish to better advantage in remembering where I put things... :) Thanks!
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 22nd 08 02:16 AM
by Rocco IV Go to last post
14 549
"Access is denied" problem by Paul H
I use "TreeSize" to show me how my disk space is used. On my other Vista Home Premium laptop as well as my XP Pro computers, it runs fine. But on my new Vista Home Premium laptop, it constantly says "Access is denied" for many folders. How do I get rid of this and let the program access every folder? TIA, Paul
November 21st 08 09:46 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
7 381
file open/views/details -set detail for office 2003 under VISTA by ktm
I am having an annoying problem (upon file open or save /view ... I CAN'T GET TO SEE the precious "date modified" under VIEW DETAILS, even if I select it each time -- I only get the NAME Column under VISTA and Office 2003) Is this a known problem under VISTA and office2003 ?? system: VISTA Business SP1, Office 2003 SP3 --
November 20th 08 06:29 PM
by ktm Go to last post
0 240
Installing xp over vista by Richard H O'Keefe
I bought an Acer with preinstalled Vista. If I delete the partition, will I be able to install xp on the computer. Will there be any problems? Thanks, Richard
November 20th 08 07:48 AM
by EZPC Go to last post
8 414
opening files or folders by old guy
Can someone please help, when I try to access a file such as local settings or my documents, I get an access denied message, Is there a way to get into these folders. Thanks for any help.
November 20th 08 12:12 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 261
FOR SELL : PIANO, SAXOPHONE, VIOLIN, Bb CLARINET, DRUM SET. by eddytw
*We are Registered and Legitimate electronics company ,we are one of the leading company that deal in sales and distributing electronics products,equipment and musical instrumental,we sell all electronics products such as, Musical instrumental and also we will like you to know that all our products comes with 2 years international warranty from the manufacturer and we offer 3months return policy...
November 19th 08 10:56 PM
by eddytw Go to last post
0 305
Datei-Fragment by Horst Kramm
Auf meinem Desktop machen sich jetzt schon zwei identische Dateien breit, die es angeblich gar nicht mehr gibt: Beim Löschversuch wird gemeldet: ..."Das Element befindet sich nicht mehr in C:\Benutzer\admin\Desktop...." Allen weiteren Löschversuchen haben sich diese Dateien bislang entzogen. Weiß jemand was? Horst
November 19th 08 12:07 PM
by Horst Kramm Go to last post
0 266
merge 100+ multiple folders into one! How? Robocopy? Xcopy? by edwardtilbury
Is there an easy way to merge 100 directories into a single directory? (without writing a long batch file) I was thinking ROBOCOPY or XCOPY would do the trick.. I also tried using the search function of the file manager GUI in Vista, but after it found 1000+ files and tried to move them, it would just "hour glass" for 8+ hours.
November 18th 08 08:35 AM
by st Go to last post
1 290
A mapping problem? by Paul Hoberg[_2_]
I've mapped L: to a folder named c:\L-map on my C: drive. It looks like this: L-map(\\Pauls-compaq\c)(L:) But programs that want to open files on the L: drive fail. For example L:\copies\abc-file.txt is not found, but does exist. Any idea what's wrong? TIA, Paul
November 17th 08 01:48 PM
by Paul Hoberg[_2_] Go to last post
2 271
Why are 90% of my emails marked spam? by Vivian H.
Vista marks everything spam! Is it really necessary to mark each message individually as spam or safe sender? Is there some way to batch them before marking them? Probably 50% of the stuff IS spam. I'm using Outlook 2003 in Vista. I have not yet moved my .pst over to let it know of the 'old stuff' that is spam.
November 17th 08 04:04 AM
by DDW[_3_] Go to last post
3 303
Can't access Folder with arrows by palm32
Vista 65 Ultimate I am logged on as ADMIN but still can' taccess folders that have small arrows like a shotcut. They appeared after a restore. Not on a networkk, Can't be sharing or can it, because it was restored. Changing permissions don't remove arrows. Crazy! Anyone help? --
November 16th 08 11:18 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post

From The